Tire suggestions based on experience.. Help needed.. - Kia K900 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-05-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Tire suggestions based on experience.. Help needed..

Had some vibrations on my K900 and it just didnt feel right. Took it in and found out the tires had numerous flat spots. Kia replaced all 4 tires but with the same Hankook 426 and the vibrations are less but still present.

Thought I was being too sensitive till i read reviews on the tires online and in various threads here. Waiting to see what Kia does and talking to Kia HQ but i'm not holding my breath. I see many of you have changed your ties and I wanted to know exactly what tires you have had success with. I'm considering the following:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
2) Continental contiprocontact
3) Sumitomo HTR ZIII
4) Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

The Hankook tires are a shame to be paired with such a great car. Want to make sure I get the right ones for the car so any help and experience would be appreciated. Thanks again
K9hundy is offline  
post #2 of 10 Old 10-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
 
Gene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Default

The continental Contiprocontact is a touring tire, as is the Bridestone Turanza Serenity Plus. These are designed for a smooth ride.
How ever the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a performance tire and one of the best tires you can get for the K900.
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's on my K900. They are rated almost like the Michelins and I got them for free, before KIA started replacing tires with only the same tires.
They are really nice on the highway and center steering is much better than stock tires. Only short fall seems to be they have nylon
side walls so when setting over night develop flat spots. Feel the flat spots when first starting out. After a mile they are real smooth, no vibration like OEM.
If I was buying tires myself, would have gotten the Michelins for performance tires They are said to be the standard to compare to ( but I'm happy with the continental Extreme Contact DWS06's) Not sure how the Michelins are for flat spots at startup. If you want touring tires go for the Bridgestones
Gene is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default

My car came with the Continental Contiprocontact and the rise feels great.
RK96797 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 10-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
Gene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Default

KIA added the Continental Contiprocontact as an upgrade this last year. There a good touring tire then two anything was an upgrade over the OEM Hankook 426 tires.
My car came with the 426's, then were traded to Ventus S1 noble2 's which would have been a good tire but 3 of the four were out of round so got the DWS06's installed. KIA chose the contiprocontact because they are a touring tire. softer ride than a performance tire. I went for the DWS06's because they are almost as good as most snow tires.
Gene is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-08-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The continental Contiprocontact is a touring tire, as is the Bridestone Turanza Serenity Plus. These are designed for a smooth ride.
How ever the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a performance tire and one of the best tires you can get for the K900.
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's on my K900. They are rated almost like the Michelins and I got them for free, before KIA started replacing tires with only the same tires.
They are really nice on the highway and center steering is much better than stock tires. Only short fall seems to be they have nylon
side walls so when setting over night develop flat spots. Feel the flat spots when first starting out. After a mile they are real smooth, no vibration like OEM.
If I was buying tires myself, would have gotten the Michelins for performance tires They are said to be the standard to compare to ( but I'm happy with the continental Extreme Contact DWS06's) Not sure how the Michelins are for flat spots at startup. If you want touring tires go for the Bridgestones
Thanks for the feedback Gene. I talked to a couple of tire shops and even though they say the Michelins are the top of the steered me towards the DWS 06 or the Contiprocontact for a better overall value and longer thread life. I'm leaning towards those but I'm waiting to see what Kia does first. I offered to trade in the optimo and pay the difference to upgrade because they just put all 4 on the car. I'll keep you guys informed as i'm also dealing with the K900 division of Kia. They have been pretty responsive towards the case.
K9hundy is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-08-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK96797 View Post
My car came with the Continental Contiprocontact and the rise feels great.
Thanks for the feedback RK96797. How long have you had the car with the tires? It seems the 2016 now come with the Contiprocontact tires. Any flat spots in the morning and how is the vibration while driving? Thanks
K9hundy is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
Gene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Default

The contiprocontact actually ride a little smoother than the DWS , but then a touring tire should. The DWS 06's are a ultra high performance tire. contiprocontact don't handle as well as the DWS 06.
They also suck in snow compared to the DWS 06. Don't know if they have the, first part of a drive, flat spot like the DWS 06. I can put up with the flat spotting for a mile or two.
Let us know if KIA lets you change to the conti and pay the difference. KIA did that at first then changed their policy and said only replace with original OEM tires. My dealership got it done for me.
Gene is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 11-06-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default

Ended up with the Michelin Sport As3 Plus and its a world of difference. Will keep you informed as time goes by. Thanks again for all the feedback.
K9hundy is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
 
Gene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Default KIA Trade

So did KIA help you out with the trade up in tires?
Hope they let you trade the others in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by K9hundy View Post
Ended up with the Michelin Sport As3 Plus and its a world of difference. Will keep you informed as time goes by. Thanks again for all the feedback.
Gene is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 11-13-2016, 02:49 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default

Just bought the DWS 06s for '15 K900. They should be at my tire shop on Tuesday. I'll give you guys a report later as to how they handle the road. Thanks for the insight.
EricP is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome