LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 11-16-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunonH20 View Post
This evening I installed the 7 piece chrome set with faux carbon fiber from K5 Optima. The hood and trunk are chrome plastic with a black carbon fiber looking (?) sticker in the middle. The front and rear look okay at 50' but the closer you get the cheaper they look.

The rim center caps and steering wheel are very thin aluminum. The black on these is not a sticker. I am guessing it is an enamel or something.

The 3M adhesive for the center caps came all the way to the edge of the cap. Doing a dry fit you can see the thick 3M adhesive all around the cap. I took a razor and back cut the adhesive so the cap fits closer. While pressing one of them in place I pushed a tad too hard and it dented in slightly. They look ok.

The steering wheel was last to be installed. This, like the front and back, cannot be dry fitted. There is no going back after you pry off and destroy the KIA emblem.

Oh holy @#%*& the Mrs is a livid as I am. I took what was an excellent, top quality leather wheel and turn it into what looks like a bird S#@T right in the center of it. We are headed to the dealer first think in the morning to have them order whatever it takes to get it back to factory. The thin aluminum emblem also uses the thick 3M adhesive which if installed as delivered would also show all around the emblem. Again I back cut the adhesive around the perimeter and stuck it in place.The emblem has a slight cup shape but it drastically short of tucking backing into steering wheel for a neat fit light the factory. The 3M holds it so far off that you can see a huge gap all the way around the emblem.

You don't have too say it....$70
David I am sorry to see you are disappointed with your purchase.

The 3.0K Emblems are made from FRP material which stands for Fiber Reinforced Plastic. This is just the base emblem where it starts from. Then there is copper plating on top of the plastic, before the chrome plating on top of the copper.

This is what the triple plating process is when we reference it elsewhere on the site or online. This means the emblems are not actually plastic, but metal with a plastic base to them.

The center material which we commonly refer to as vinyl, is not a sticker at all. Rather it is also a 3 step process involving 3 separate materials pressed into one finalized product. These materials consist of styrene, 3M adhesive and a synthetic plastic polymer commonly referred to as Polyvinyl chloride or PVC. The Carbon Fiber style fabric you chose to order is what I have on my own K900 and is a very popular choice with our customers.

I apologize if you had thought the emblems were going to be manufactured in real carbon fiber for $36.95 shipped. (Cost of the front & rear emblems) That would not even be possible and again I apologize if you were under the impression that they would have been made out of authentic carbon fiber.

The wheel caps and steering wheel emblem are made from aluminum as you mentioned and needs to be thin in size to properly cover the OEM wheel caps without being too bulky and appearing as if you placed something over the top of them. I have these same wheel caps on my 2015 K900 and did not need to modify them with a razor to fit properly and they look absolutely great as is.

Regarding the steering wheel emblem, I am not sure why you ran into any issues with that one. I installed the 3.0 K steering wheel emblem on my K900 in about 10 minutes flat. That was probably the easiest one to do other than the wheel caps which just stuck over the original ones.

I have taken a few photos of my steering wheel emblem and also a quick video to demonstrate for anyone else who may be reading this thread and have any doubts about the quality of the material.

All steering wheel emblems are the same on all 2013 + Kia models, so there should be no difference with your K900 then any other K900 or Kia models for that matter. It sounds like you ran into several installation issues. We always recommend customers who may not be familiar with the installation process to consult with a professional installer, so that they can help with the installation without any damage or difficulty.

(Please excuse the dusty steering wheel emblem, K900 is due for a detail)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QmDmc2x9so

Click below to view all of the products we carry for the Kia K900:

Kia K900 Product Collection - K5 Optima Store
post #12 of 24 Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I did not think they were real carbon fiber.

The installation of the steering wheel emblem was not difficult. The issue is the appearance. If you look straight at the wheel it is of. From the side it is bad. The 3M is way too thick and it doesn't allow the sides of the emblem to go back into the perimeter recess. It would probably look better if a thin adhesive was used. Is it possible to get a wheel emblem without the 3M?

David
Charlotte, NC
post #13 of 24 Old 11-21-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
I did not think they were real carbon fiber.

The installation of the steering wheel emblem was not difficult. The issue is the appearance. If you look straight at the wheel it is of. From the side it is bad. The 3M is way too thick and it doesn't allow the sides of the emblem to go back into the perimeter recess. It would probably look better if a thin adhesive was used. Is it possible to get a wheel emblem without the 3M?
I hear what you are saying. I guess I just don't see it the same way as you do. Here are a few pictures I took from different angles of my steering wheel emblem. I do not see any adhesive at all coming out on any of the sides. It fits almost perfect. I think any aftermarket part can be a nice fit, but it will never be as "PERFECT" as an original OEM part. However the fit and finish on my 2015 K900 steering wheel emblem is outstanding. Does your look different then this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 11-21-2015, 10:39 AM

I agree the the finish of the emblem is great. All the other emblems look great. It would fit tighter abd look considerably better if it was installed with a 4 to 5 mil 3M transfer tape. The type of adhesive currently being used is too thick keeps it proud of the wheel and the gap around the edge is very noticeable.

David
Charlotte, NC
post #15 of 24 Old 11-22-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I love those K emblems but, I love the look on people faces when they see the KIA emblem on the K900
post #16 of 24 Old 11-23-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
I agree the the finish of the emblem is great. All the other emblems look great. It would fit tighter abd look considerably better if it was installed with a 4 to 5 mil 3M transfer tape. The type of adhesive currently being used is too thick keeps it proud of the wheel and the gap around the edge is very noticeable.
I hear yah, just have to be honest and say I do not see any gap around the edge on my steering wheel and we have NEVER received this kind of feedback before from any of our other K900 emblem customers. So I'm not sure if maybe the one you got was a bit off or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaboy23 View Post
I love those K emblems but, I love the look on people faces when they see the KIA emblem on the K900
Good point, before people would go no way that's a Kia, but now they literally do not believe me when I tell them. haha

post #17 of 24 Old 11-26-2015, 04:04 PM

Attached is a picture of my emblem. The picture quality does not come close to duplicating what the eye can see. If you are familiar with the emblem you will realize that the thick 3M adhesive has the emblem sitting proud of the wheel. if you look closely you can see the V cut in the leather cover that was hidden by the original KIA emblem. It would look a lot better if a thin double sided tape was used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1052.jpg (104.0 KB, 25 views)

David
Charlotte, NC

Last edited by FunonH20; 11-26-2015 at 11:14 PM.
post #18 of 24 Old 12-14-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Attached is a picture of my emblem. The picture quality does not come close to duplicating what the eye can see. If you are familiar with the emblem you will realize that the thick 3M adhesive has the emblem sitting proud of the wheel. if you look closely you can see the V cut in the leather cover that was hidden by the original KIA emblem. It would look a lot better if a thin double sided tape was used.
David I'm sorry it came out that way. If you look at the images I posted above yours, you cannot see the cutout where the original emblem used to be. I guess the installation will determine whether or not you see that or not.

post #19 of 24 Old 08-24-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Have you seen these emblems yet??

Pick up a set for your K900 today!

We offer free same day shipping