Noobie with a new (to me) 2015 - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Noobie with a new (to me) 2015

As the title states, I just bought a 2015 k900 luxury (non VIP) with only 17k miles on it.

My previous car was a 2006 crown victoria that I bought in 2007. That car is probably the most reliable car I have owned. Not too long ago I rented a luxury car for a trip to Pittsburgh, thinking the rental company was going to give me a Cadillac XTS they upgraded me to a base model 2019 7 series. I instantly fell in love with the car for the 3 days I drove it. I then wanted something like the bmw but more reliable (and cheaper) since I have heard how expensive to repair.

I was looking at a lexus LS but the prices are still kinda high for my budget, My friend suggested a K900. I started doing research watching whatever youtube videos there were and it seemed mostly positive. I found the prices on the used market to great with a few low mileage cars in my area.

I test drove one and it felt as I was back in that BMW. Im no expert but the quality seemed to be on par with the bmw. I walked out with a 2015 k900 for $21k and so far I am loving it with the exception of one thing.

while I like the car I noticed that the driver side headlight is aimed really low, the lower fog light beam is actually higher. I did some research here and it looks like a somewhat common issue.

can this be manually adjusted to aim higher if so, how? second are the headlights somewhat easy to remove if I go the replacement route? I know a lot of the newer cars require you to remove the bumper cover to do this. I am hoping this is not the case with this car.

thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191205_153204[1].jpg (258.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20191205_112705[1].jpg (225.3 KB, 2 views)
post #2 of 3 Old 12-12-2019, 09:41 PM

Garage
Default Headlight Aiming

If your car was manufactured in 2014, it may be subject to a recall for the headlights. Ask your local Kia dealer.
If your AFLS headlights are not completing their full motion startup check (up / down & left / right) , you may have a bad motor or two. Specifically the vertical adjustment motor in your case.

On vehicle startup at night, with the headlights in AUTO, can you observe the headlight beam(s) raising up, then dropping down to a lower level? It helps to park in front of a white wall or garage door to see the beams. If the only driver's headlight beam fails the up / down initialization, then it's probably the vertical motor.
The factory manual says the bumper cover must be removed to access all of the headlight assembly mounting fasteners.
To adjust the vertical aim, you need a long Philips screw driver (I use a 16" long screwdriver) Insert as shown in the photo attached. Note the angle. It requires quite a few turns to adjust. I used a drywall square to re-aim when I replaced the HIDs with aftermarket LEDs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191212_203217.jpg (125.6 KB, 2 views)

2015 Kia Prem. Black w/Brown & Beige Interior. Built Mar/2015
post #3 of 3 Old 01-04-2020, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

kind of a late reply but I ended up fixing the drooping headlight myself. a member on the k900 facebook group told me you have to basically pop it back in. after you spin the cover off place your hand in there. you will feel the fan, (make sure the headlights are off) with your hand go below the fan and push the led until down until it pops into place. it took me around 3 tries to figure it out but I was able to pop it into place. the headlight now adjusts itself automatically and the light beam goes down the road instead of pointing downwards.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page