Hi All - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Hi All

Well after 3-4 months of trying to figure out what my next car will be, it's come down to a K900, I just can't get past the bargain nature of a 2015-16 off lease car.

Now comes the fun part of all this, finding the right car, i'm actually in no hurry which is good, i'm going to be searching for a luxury VIP I think, honestly, I have been mostly looking at the ride comfort part of the deal, so now I have to figure out the right package, am I right in thinking that to get the adaptive cruise control it has to have the VIP package ?

I will be searching through the forum looking for info, so let me say sorry now if I end up asking some stupid questions.
post #2 of 21 Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Yes, the adaptive cruise control is part of the VIP package for the 2015/2016 K900
post #3 of 21 Old 06-07-2018, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Welcome, jetwet1! Always happy to see a new member. I am shopping too, and have been for a while, so I have several tips to pass along.

You will find there's a general bias here in favor of the VIP package. Someone remarked in one of the posts here that the car doesn't really reach the full-on luxury level without it, which I think is true. I would advise shopping for it. Cars so equipped usually cost a bit more, but not a lot, and sometimes even less. Dealers don't seem to understand these cars (even Kia dealers!) and can be quite inconsistent in pricing and describing them.

Fortunately, the VIP (later VIP+) package contains every option, so if you can spot one of them, you know they're all there. Most every ad shows you a picture of the wheel and/or the driver's door panel, so look for the adaptive cruise button on the wheel and the power thigh support button on the door. (Pix below.)

If you see those, you know it also has heads-up display, soft close doors, power & ventilated rear seats, surround-view monitor, and reconfigurable LCD instrument display, plus some safety and trim bits that differ slightly between '15 and '16 models. The most significant of those is that the '16 with VIP+ will have automatic emergency braking.

Regarding the model years, there's a much broader selection of '15s on the market, as they sold much better. Blue and brown were exterior colors for that year only, and for part of the year blue leather interior trim was available. Late-build examples may have quilted leather like the '16s. The much scarcer '16 does have the advantage of standard paddle shifters and touchscreen entertainment system--those are there even if the VIP+ package is not. If the VIP+ is present, it adds quilted leather and a credit card smart key. The '17 with VIP+ is basically identical, but the credit card key was discontinued.

There were no V6's for '15, but you may find some "Premium" models that have the V8 but are very stripped inside--no wood, no electronic shifter, not even lane-keep assist, which is normally standard. For '16, there were V6 Premiums which could actually be optioned up much like the high-line V8's, via a VIP package (not called VIP+) . If you are OK with the smaller engine, one of these could be a good choice.

Hope this quick intro helps. Keep us posted on everything you look at--believe me, everyone here is interested!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K900DoorControlWithThighSupportSwitch.jpg (49.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg AdvancedCruiseSwitch.jpg (157.0 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-07-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

I am glad that I had the packages figured out correctly, even the dealership that I went to were a little fuzzy on the '15 I test drove, they assured me it did have adaptive CC, it didn't, so I said no thanks to that one. I will say though, I was impressed with the dealership (Findlay Kia) as soon as I said K900 it turned into the type of car shopping experience I normally only get at higher end dealerships, a very nice change.

I am in no real hurry to buy one so am willing to wait until the golden unicorn comes along, though there is this one (not a VIP) that I am going to drive tomorrow morning https://www.carmax.com/car/15987723

A friend suggested that I try the new Buick LeCross, so I test drove one this morning....How to put this, nice car, but not even in the ballpark of a K900.... And that is being nice.

Edit : Now that I look at the pictures you posted and the pics up on the carmax site, that IS a VIP.....
post #5 of 21 Old 06-08-2018, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

That does look like a primo example at CarMax! White on white--very, very nice. It is totally weird that it went off of their site and then came back, though, just like the one I'm looking at. Does make you wonder...

FYI, mine should be in town this weekend, I heard today.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Default Vip

The one on the site takes you to is a VIP. Don't short change your self, go for the VIP. Great car, wait for the one you want.
I let my 2015 go back and leased a Genesis G90 ultimate, wish I had waited for the new version of the K900 that is coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwet1 View Post
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

I am glad that I had the packages figured out correctly, even the dealership that I went to were a little fuzzy on the '15 I test drove, they assured me it did have adaptive CC, it didn't, so I said no thanks to that one. I will say though, I was impressed with the dealership (Findlay Kia) as soon as I said K900 it turned into the type of car shopping experience I normally only get at higher end dealerships, a very nice change.

I am in no real hurry to buy one so am willing to wait until the golden unicorn comes along, though there is this one (not a VIP) that I am going to drive tomorrow morning https://www.carmax.com/car/15987723

A friend suggested that I try the new Buick LeCross, so I test drove one this morning....How to put this, nice car, but not even in the ballpark of a K900.... And that is being nice.

Edit : Now that I look at the pictures you posted and the pics up on the carmax site, that IS a VIP.....
post #7 of 21 Old 06-08-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The one on the site takes you to is a VIP. Don't short change your self, go for the VIP. Great car, wait for the one you want.
I let my 2015 go back and leased a Genesis G90 ultimate, wish I had waited for the new version of the K900 that is coming out.

Totally agree, that's the plan...

Now to the test drive....

Let me say first, I like Carmax, I like the way they sell cars, I have bought 5 cars through them, I am way past the point of spending 2 days beating the best deal I can make for a car, I know that Carmax will not be the best price, but it will be close to it, they won't spend an hour trying to sell you the "Desert protection package" for $599 either....If you don't know what the Desert Protection package is, it's scotch guard and car wax....For $599....Or the new one, $200 to fill the tires with nitrogen....

Anyways, the car, nice car, as comfortable and quiet as the 2 other K900's I have driven, however....How do I put this....Let's try this way, you all know how planted the K900 feels, it's solid (well except for the turn signal stalk) this one, it's really hard to put a finger on it, it just didn't feel right, there was nothing I could stand there and say "that is not right with the car", but it just didn't feel like the other K900's I have driven.

The saleslady is someone who I have bought cars from before, so she has been through this process with me before (Carmax policy should be a salesperson only has to go through dealing with me once in a career) so she knows better than to say I am crazy, just a nod, chin down, obviously thinking she is going to have to deal with me driving every K900 that shows up there.

I had high hopes for the car, if there is anyone else in Vegas on here, go give it a drive, tell me if I am crazy or there is something off with the car ? Probably I am crazy....Oh well, the search continues.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-10-2018, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

And it looks like that one has been sold, so someone liked it, good for them, they got a great deal.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Just curious, what don't you like about the G90? I was considering going the same direction in a couple years.

2015 K900 - Black on Black, VIP package
post #10 of 21 Old 06-11-2018, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage

I like most things about the G90 car itself, anything I don't like is very minor. small things, no powered shut on the sun roof shade, which the K900 has But after seeing some of the things which might be on the new K900, that are missing from the G90 don't know. I had such good luck with the K900 and great service in my area. Much better service than I'm getting on the G90. Wife loves the G90, it does ride and drive much better than the K900, between the lane keep and adaptive cruise it pretty much drives it self.
I'd say if the Genesis gets there own dealership it might turn out to be really good. It really is a good car. I have had 6 KIA's and like their style better than the G90

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page