Any 2019 K900 owners out there yet? - Page 27 - Kia K900 Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 285 Old 08-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default Hi, new owner here in TX

Howdy. Just joined the club, so to speak. 2019 Panthera Gray, Black interior with VIP package. Funny story, I bought from the Tulsa dealership that the earlier theft story was about. When I was calling them about coming out (I live in DFW, TX) they had a white, black, and gray. White was the 'demo' with about 4200 miles. I said not interested. Black was "in the paint shop after some minor issues - someone hit a fence with it". I said no deal. Gray was the one in their showroom I ended up with. Only *later* did I hear it was that famous black one, and they'd just gotten it back earlier in July.

I think I got a pretty good deal, even with the known incentives. List was 65200, got it for 54300, and didn't take a bath on trade-in or pay a high interest rate for the remainder (also gave them like 10K down atop my trade, a 14 Optima SX). Had 46 miles on it when I test drove, and I'm at almost 700 as of today (bought end of July).

Anyway, learning all the bells and whistles, but have one weird issue. Just recently I've noticed that when I turn on the car with the start-stop, it will start, the audio system and dash all start up, but a few seconds in there's this fast 5 or 6 tones like byooo-byooo-byooo-byooo, like a car alarm. Then it stops. Nothing is visible in terms of dash indicators when that happens at all. I have the 'welcome' (mirror fold and puddle light stuff) turned off on key approach, have to unlock. I do have the trunk set to unlock when you approach with the key, and noticed it flashes/beeps 3 times before it really happens so you have time to get away if you didn't really intend that.

Any ideas? I can't find a single word about audio warnings not associated with all the different drive assist and cruise modes in the user's manual, at least not yet.
post #262 of 285 Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage

Have you by any chance got the door open when this happens?
post #263 of 285 Old 08-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Is it that absurd KIA "welcome" tone. If so, there is a on/off menu options buried in the UVO just for the tone. Mine was on when I purchased it, the next morning I had to find it because it was so ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #264 of 285 Old 08-06-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethus7 View Post
Is it that absurd KIA "welcome" tone. If so, there is a on/off menu options buried in the UVO just for the tone. Mine was on when I purchased it, the next morning I had to find it because it was so ridiculous.
Vehicle Settings -> Cluster -> Welcome Sound
Vehicle Settings

2019 K900 VIP trim
Deep Chroma Blue exterior | Sienna Brown interior
post #265 of 285 Old 08-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrski View Post
Just recently I've noticed that when I turn on the car with the start-stop, it will start, the audio system and dash all start up, but a few seconds in there's this fast 5 or 6 tones like byooo-byooo-byooo-byooo, like a car alarm. Then it stops. Nothing is visible in terms of dash indicators when that happens at all.
Just put the seat belts on, that's it! Welcome to the forum.
post #266 of 285 Old 08-08-2019, 06:57 AM

Hi back and thanks for the responses so far. It's not the welcome jingle - that's off. Door is not open, car still in park obviously, seat belt on or off makes no difference. It's really a different higher pitch and less (how can I say this...)"planned" or intentionally "designed" sounding electronic tone than all the lane assist warnings or blind spot warnings, etc. After I push start and the dash lights up all the indicators like it does (that first diagnostic light-up), car emits a couple of more normal tones as that occurs, HUD shows info about your lane settings, then everything settles into whatever state you've assigned, there's a brief like 3 second delay, then the ten rapid tones but no visual indication anywhere I can catch. It's very distinct. (I incorrectly said 5 or 6 before because I hadn't made it a point of really counting until a few more times.)

I've made sure nothing is plugged into a power port that could be causing a warning or making the noise itself (e.g. unplugged my dashcam to test). Nothing in the USB data port, nothing on the charging pads. I might have a small briefcase in the passenger seat that's under the weight limit to activate the passenger side airbag but I don't think that's it either - tones happen if my wife is in the passenger seat too, or if nothing is. I really don't recall it when I first test drove the vehicle and then drove home from OK with it, it is something that's started up since then but is as of today very consistent now. If I turn ignition back off and sit a few minutes in the car, then turn it on again, it does not repeat. I have to actually leave the car for 30 min or more to 'reset' whatever's happening. (Which will make it fun to demo when I pull in to a dealer sometime...unless I take a quick phone video to show them I guess.)

I wonder if the dealer left one of those anti-theft GPS units they tried to push 'monitoring' for in it or something...and it's complaining.

Will call Kia again, and failing that get in in ASAP to have a service tech hear it. First try calling the number I demonstrated what I was talking about on speakerphone to them and they said they'd email me a case # and call back, but nada a couple days now.

Other than the 10-tone-mystery, liking everything about it so far! Surprisingly good driver despite complaints I'd read that it felt a little detached and imprecise, good acceleration when needed (I'm used to a turbo surge delay and this doesn't feel that bad to me). None of the shimmy or vibe others have reported right at 65-70ish MPH. Just smooth sailing. And the new nav voice is much more pleasant even.
post #267 of 285 Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Take a video of it, post it on YouTube and copy the link so we can hear it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2019 K900 VIP trim
Deep Chroma Blue exterior | Sienna Brown interior
post #268 of 285 Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Rtrski, welcome to the struggle. Like Bob said, post it on youtube and perhaps we can Id the sound. I will forewarn you to brace yourself for a dealer experience unbefitting of the car. I have come to realize that dealers are both unfamiliar and intimidated by the K900. Given that sales numbers are ~200 for the year I guess it is understandable. The first time I took mine in for a service call, the service tech was visible nervous when I show up. It is unbelievable, the only thing worse than the dealers is calling KIA customer service. Their answer for any issue is read the owners manual to you open a tech line (which does nothing). My thought is that until the hoard of Telluride owners start complaining, KIA is just not financially motived to address issue beyond substantial mechanical failure or drivability issues.

Don't feel bad, I have this issue that randomly shows up. When I showed the dealer they had no answers. Luckily it only shows up intermittently. No doubt the infotainment software was "half-baked" on release.

post #269 of 285 Old 08-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Well, it's a OneDrive share link not YouTube, but here it is.

The only thing I didn't think of is turning off my phone's Bluetooth before starting recording, so the phone connects right toward the end (you can see the logos show up on the multimedia screen) and the recording skips slightly, so it's not as obviously "10 tones" exactly.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuHD2NL7qn3w3DJX...2hgNk?e=rcTqUe
post #270 of 285 Old 08-08-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrski View Post
Well, it's a OneDrive share link not YouTube, but here it is.

The only thing I didn't think of is turning off my phone's Bluetooth before starting recording, so the phone connects right toward the end (you can see the logos show up on the multimedia screen) and the recording skips slightly, so it's not as obviously "10 tones" exactly.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuHD2NL7qn3w3DJX...2hgNk?e=rcTqUe

Holy smokes, that is defiantly not normal. That tone does not sound like it is commensurate with the car's factory hardware but instead some sort of aftermarket thing. Back to the dealer you go...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page