42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 250 Old 04-24-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K900 Pilot View Post
So sorry to read about the problems you have with your car. I too have my K900 in the garage for a whole week and no such problems. I believe your problem with the battery can only have one of two reasons, either your battery is a dud or there is some battery drain for some reason. I tried but cannot think of any other reasons.

I just came back from a 400 miles trip and think the low beam cutoff is just right but yours might be different.

Iím still crazy about our K900. When the first maintenance is due Iím going to ask them if they can turn on the sequential blinkers via the service menu, this would be cool.

Iím really curious about the cause of your battery issue and the deep dash rattle from bverant
Wait, the sequential blinkers can be turned on by the dealer?

I will keep you posted on the dash rattle.
post #212 of 250 Old 04-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bverant View Post
Wait, the sequential blinkers can be turned on by the dealer?
It must be since originally this car was build with this feature, I'm pretty sure they just disabled it in the service menu.
post #213 of 250 Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K900 Pilot View Post
It must be since originally this car was build with this feature, I'm pretty sure they just disabled it in the service menu.
You can ask but they may not do it. It would go against US-DOT requirements found in section 12.1.1.6 http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/TP-108-13.pdf where it specifically calls out 2200 sq-mm of illumination at any given time when the signal is on.

I know it's a stupid regulation. My Audi A5 rear signals are sequential
and that car is DOT compliant.

So I don't get why this can't be done.

2019 K900 VIP trim
Deep Chroma Blue exterior | Sienna Brown interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 250 Old 04-24-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Regarding the low beam cut-off... it's anecdotal comparison to our other vehicles. I think part of the problem is that the K900's low beam has a very distinct SAE cutoff line where there is absolutely no light (or very little) above it. Our other vehicles have a small amount of dissipated illumination slightly above the cutoff (call it ghosting if you will). In PA we have lots of deer that stand by the side of the road and I'm always concerned that I'm not getting any illumination above the K900's low beam cut off to see them. The worst situation is when an coming vehicle lights are seen and there's the extra large valley of darkness between you and that car where a good section of the roadway is completely dark, especially on the right hand side. If a deer is standing on the road in that valley you would not be able to see it (the reflections in it's eyes) until the car was almost on top of it.

I know these low beams are set to not distract the oncoming cars, but it's my belief that perhaps there's margin there that they may be able to get a few more feet out on the throw.

2019 K900 VIP trim
post #215 of 250 Old 04-24-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnston View Post
Regarding the low beam cut-off... it's anecdotal comparison to our other vehicles. I think part of the problem is that the K900's low beam has a very distinct SAE cutoff line where there is absolutely no light (or very little) above it. Our other vehicles have a small amount of dissipated illumination slightly above the cutoff (call it ghosting if you will). In PA we have lots of deer that stand by the side of the road and I'm always concerned that I'm not getting any illumination above the K900's low beam cut off to see them. The worst situation is when an coming vehicle lights are seen and there's the extra large valley of darkness between you and that car where a good section of the roadway is completely dark, especially on the right hand side. If a deer is standing on the road in that valley you would not be able to see it (the reflections in it's eyes) until the car was almost on top of it.

I know these low beams are set to not distract the oncoming cars, but it's my belief that perhaps there's margin there that they may be able to get a few more feet out on the throw.
Now that you describe it more, I actually agree with you. I drive on dark rural roads and have had some difficulty seeing turns I know are ahead of me but I am not 100% sure where they are at until I am almost on top of them. Perhaps raising them a little bit is about all we can hope for. Please keep us posted on what you learn! There are so few K900 owners out there, especially the 2019s, that our little group is all we have to discuss these things with.
K900 Pilot likes this.
post #216 of 250 Old 04-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnston View Post
Well my battery depletion issue came back yesterday. The car had been parked in the garage for 5 days and not started but I had been in and out of it unlocking/locking with the welcome theatrics a few times during the week. I'd also been in the trunk as well during this parked time.

I knew something was wrong when the driver door would not unlock with the fob in my pocket. I was able to unlock with the press of the unlock button the fob. Once I got in, the car would not start. Says it could not detect the fob and to press the fob against the start button. Still nothing. I went back into the house to grab the other fob and same thing. Then, on the cluster I saw the message about "battery drained due to plugged in devices" which was not true. Nothing was plugged in at all. The battery was so weak, I couldn't open the trunk. FYI, the physical key in the fob can unlock the trunk, but the electric motor's grip on the actuators still puts great resistance on actually manually lifting the trunk lid. This is definitely a design flaw so be careful about putting a battery jumper in the back trunk because if your battery dies, you won't be able to get the trunk open.

I then opened the hood and found the jump points for the electric in top left corner. The positive and ground points are in two different locations and the little pigtail on my little lithion battery jumper could not spread to reach both points (This is something I would not have expected). I tried another portable battery jump starter I had that included longer cables and attempted to jump start the battery but that jump starter was not fully charged itself and the attempted jump failed to fully start the car.

At this point, I called the KIA concierge and they dispatched a service to my home to jump start the car but it was over a 90 minute wait. I grabbed my 6 amp trickle smart charger and charged the K900 battery for a good 20 minutes. I also charged my jump starter for 15 minutes as well. I then pulled the trickle charger off and put the jump starter back on and then successfully started the k900. Using my digital volt meter, the running car was sitting at 13.1 volts. This told me that the battery was still pretty weak and was taking all the current from the alternator that it could handle. I then called back KIA and told them to cancel the service coming out to my house as I didn't need them anymore.

I kept the car running for about 40 minutes and drove it for some errands (never turning it off). When I got home, I checked the voltage and it was sitting at 14.2 so it seemed like the battery was leveling off with the charge. On a side note I really wish the car had a voltage meter somewhere on the cluster.

I've scheduled an appointment at one of my local K900 dealers to check the electrical system in a couple of weeks. This battery drain thing is happening only after days of the car not starting but accessing the car via unlocking, opening doors, trunks, etc... My guess is that there's something pulling way too much current when the car wakes up to do the welcome acknowledgement, operate the power locks and trunk and continues to stay active although the car never is started. Either that, or the battery I have is just a plain dud. Either way I'm going to get to the bottom of this problem. The car should not deplete it's battery for sitting for 5 days regardless of unlocking/locking it and operating the trunk occasionally.

I'm also going to have them adjust the low beam cutoff up a little as I think it's throw is a bit short when they are checking the electric.
I stumbled across this while surfing today. Looks like KIA had a similar battery problem in their press car. Wonder if your dealer can reach out to the press team and see what the solution was.https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/26...us-never-built
post #217 of 250 Old 04-24-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethus7 View Post
I stumbled across this while surfing today. Looks like KIA had a similar battery problem in their press car. Wonder if your dealer can reach out to the press team and see what the solution was.https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/26...us-never-built
Thanks for the find.

2019 K900 VIP trim
post #218 of 250 Old 04-25-2019, 11:08 AM

Since I was experiencing what I thought was a battery drain issue after a day of my K900 sitting, I decided to take some measurements. After the car had sat for 24 hours, I measured battery voltage at 12.29v. I measured current draw on the negative battery cable at 0.075A (75 milliamps). These numbers are very reasonable considering all of the electronics in the car. This morning, 12 hours later, I measured the battery voltage at 12.26v; current draw was the same. So, I do not believe I am having the same issue Bob is having. What I will note is that my brake pedal loses its assist after a day of sitting. In order to start the car, I need to apply firm pressure to the pedal for it to acknowledge I am pressing it. This doesn't seem normal to me as previous cars I have owned all retain some level of brake assist even days afterwards. I will inquire with my service manager to see what he thinks and get back to everyone.
K900 Pilot likes this.
post #219 of 250 Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Battery drain

I have a 2019 K900 VIP that also has the battery drain problem.
Two weeks ago the message "your battery is being drained by an external electrical source" appeared when starting the car. This would happen only in the morning when first starting the car, but not every day.
Since I know there was nothing hooked up, and it did not appear every day, I disregarded the message. Monday morning the car was completely dead. It was as if the battery had been removed from the car. I tried jumping it, nothing, not even a dash light. I attached a volt meter to the battery and it was only reading 4.6 volts.
After calling UVO support, they sent a tow service. Upon arrival, the driver tried starting it with a jump box, nothing. He had to charge it by jumping from the batteries in his diesel car carrier and it finally started. After shutting off the start/stop system, I then drove it to the dealer and he followed.
It is now Friday and the dealer has been trying to find the cause of the excessive drain on the battery. No luck yet, even with support from KIA tech.
I have owned the car since December and now have 3000 miles on it and this is the first time this has happened. If anyone comes up with a solution, please post it as it seems this is going to be a common problem.
post #220 of 250 Old 04-27-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I'm definitely interested in what they find with your car's electric. I'm worried about this discharge I'm seeing on mine

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2019 K900 VIP trim

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page