post #11 of 345 Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnston View Post
bverant,
I have some questions:
Do the front and rear turn signals light up solid (single) or are they progressive (animated) on you 2019 K900? I've heard conflicting info on that and I didn't get a chance to verify that on my test drives.

How's the Lane Keeping and Lane Following assist features working for you? Does it work well with the adaptive cruise control?

About the audio system. Does it sound good at low volume levels? When I drove the 2 different K900's all I tried was an FM radio station and it was very loud even at the lowest volume levels. I think it was the station using compression on ads mostly but the FM radio was not impressive. Just wondering what sources you've used and how you like it.

Thanks
Bob
The turn signals are solid, not progressive. I know to what you're referring -- the Korean spec K900s have progressive signals. Apparently, we have a law against that in the United States.

As for LKA and LFA:
Having had experience with previous cars that had these features, I prefer disabling LKA and enabling it, via the button on the dash, when I feel the need. As for LFA, the car came with that enabled. After doing some research -- different companies call this feature different things (Lexus calls it Lane Centering, for example) -- I found and disabled that option as I prefer full control of the steering. Now, having said that, the LFA does seem to work pretty good. It followed curves and did well I thought, but I felt it was too intrusive when just doing normal driving. Rare as it is here, we did have some strong winds recently. While driving down the highway under these crosswind circumstances, I enabled both the LKA and LFA and it definitely helped me keep the vehicle in the lane. Did you have more specific question about these features you wanted me to answer?

As for the sound system, I don't listen much to FM on my K900 since I prefer listening to streaming music via my phone. I can't say the times I have listened to FM that I thought it was too loud. This is going to be very subjective, of course, so let me know if you have something more specific you want me to mention. I will say that HD radio reception is not particularly strong in this system. The two Lexus vehicles I have had, both with the Mark Levinson sound system, seemed to receive HD radio signals a little better in my garage than the K900. Not a big deal to me, however.
post #12 of 345 Old 01-13-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
bverant,
Thank you for posting your thoughts on the your 2019 K900. All you feedback is very appreciated. What color combination did you get?

I just drove a different color K900 yesterday right after re-testing the BMW 5 series an hour before and there's no comparison to the ride quality for comfort. The K900 test drive re-affirmed my original thoughts.

As for your Android Auto issue, I have 4 cars with Android Auto (2015 Sonata, 2017 Santa Fe, 2018 Audi A5, 2018 Impreza) and they all have issues with the Oreo on LG6 and LG7 phones (my wife has an LG7). There's hot forum thread on google's AA support site about it. Bottom line is that there's an issue with the phone drawing too much current from the head unit using standard grade USB-A to USB-C cables. I know this because it happens both my Hyundai cars with the LG phones. There are cables out there that have a built-in 56Kohm pull down resistor to help limit the draw on the head unit so that the phone can maintain the projection mode protocol. I have been swearing by the Belkin F2CU029bt1M-BLK cable. It's been rock solid for all combinations of our phones and cars on Android Auto and although its a bit on the more expensive side, it has never let me down. ( I think Walmart.com sells it for $20, Amazon sells it for more I think). Anyway, give it a try if you'd like to see if it helps with your G7

Is there an online owners manual PDF for this 2019 yet? I went looking but could not find one. I have to imagine there is a way to suspend the auto-high beam. I mean normally on recent KIA/Hyundai cars there are four positions for the headlights.
1. OFF
2. AUTO
3. PARKING
4. HEADLIGHTS

On both my 2015 Sonata and 2017 Sanata Fe, the Auto High High beam in the ultimate packages will only allow to be enabled when the headlight switch is in #2 AUTO. When in #4 , the high beam stalk is manual.

And yes, you can move the switch to the headlights position and have full normal control, but I prefer auto mode. I will just live with the high beam assist feature.

Bob
I will respond in reverse order. My Kia online account does not have any online manuals available yet. Furthermore, there didn't appear to be any paper manuals for the infotainment system included with the car. I have the printed owner's manual and a few other documents, but not a dedicated infotainment/nav system manual, which is unusual. I am working with my dealer to see if I can get one.

So are you going to buy a K900 and join me?

I have read a similar thread about AA and Oreo on various phones, not just LG. I was using factory-supplied USB-A -> USB-C cable as well as another one, but I am not sure if they have the 56k ohm pull-down resistor. I may buy one and test again, but this is a very interesting observation. For what it's worth this same phone worked just fine with a 2018 Sorento loaner I had in Android Auto, thought the bluetooth stuttering issue was still present.
post #13 of 345 Old 01-13-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies bverant.
My time frame for purchase is March, as we're going to be gifting our 2015 Sonata Limited to our college grad son so will need a replacement for that. Right now, I'm 90% sure I'll be joining you on getting the 2019 K900. I have a couple more cars to test drive including an E-series and maybe the Volvo S90 but I'm not going to fork over $15k more for a brand that doesn't give me value. The problem is that no mid-sized sedan will likely compare to the ride of the K900. Wheelbase to Wheelbase comparison's the K900 will win out on comfort I'm sure.

I gave up on LG phones because of Android Auto issues largely (and poor battery life). The Samsung Note 9 works well on AA with most cables on all of my cars that have Android Auto. If you google around, you'll see that, for whatever reason, cables matter on using AA in most cars. Like I've said, the Belkin does the trick for me. Even worked solid in a 2018 For Expedition I rented on Vacation in Wyoming this summer. I recommend it.

I listen to SXM and Google Play Music (subscription) via Android Auto mostly so that's my music entertainment in the vehicle so Android Auto has to be solid for me. I rarely listen to FM/AM but I'd like to know that it works well if need be. Nav and Google assistant via AA is use very often by me and my wife so it needs to just work. I'm even starting to use Waze via AA a bit more now as the Waze team at Google has really improved it's function via Android Auto.

The thing I worry about with the K900 is being left out fold on service. Half the KIA dealerships in my corner of the Eastern US don't even stock the K900 so I'm worried about service and attention to detail on a luxury car of that caliber. I'm looking for the value prop and low cost of ownership but I don't want to have dealership techs looking at it like, wow I haven't seen one of these before. I also worry about parts and accessories. Will KIA actually come through with all-weather floor mats? These are all things that go through my head as I'm going to be invested in the car for a long, long time.
K900 Pilot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 345 Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies bverant.
My time frame for purchase is March, as we're going to be gifting our 2015 Sonata Limited to our college grad son so will need a replacement for that. Right now, I'm 90% sure I'll be joining you on getting the 2019 K900. I have a couple more cars to test drive including an E-series and maybe the Volvo S90 but I'm not going to fork over $15k more for a brand that doesn't give me value. The problem is that no mid-sized sedan will likely compare to the ride of the K900. Wheelbase to Wheelbase comparison's the K900 will win out on comfort I'm sure.
I looked at the E-class and 5-series BMWs before settling on the K900. I found them uncomfortable, too small and the value just wasn't there; it's all about a badge on those cars -- and I, like you, don't have badge envy. I would rather have something you just don't see all the time.

Quote:
I gave up on LG phones because of Android Auto issues largely (and poor battery life). The Samsung Note 9 works well on AA with most cables on all of my cars that have Android Auto. If you google around, you'll see that, for whatever reason, cables matter on using AA in most cars. Like I've said, the Belkin does the trick for me. Even worked solid in a 2018 For Expedition I rented on Vacation in Wyoming this summer. I recommend it.

I listen to SXM and Google Play Music (subscription) via Android Auto mostly so that's my music entertainment in the vehicle so Android Auto has to be solid for me. I rarely listen to FM/AM but I'd like to know that it works well if need be. Nav and Google assistant via AA is use very often by me and my wife so it needs to just work. I'm even starting to use Waze via AA a bit more now as the Waze team at Google has really improved it's function via Android Auto.
I have disliked this LG G6 for other reasons than the AA issue, so my next phone will not be made by LG. I will mention that Android Pie (9.0) is scheduled to be applied to this phone sometime in Q2 2019. I don't know if I will get another phone before then, so we'll see what happens.

Quote:
The thing I worry about with the K900 is being left out fold on service. Half the KIA dealerships in my corner of the Eastern US don't even stock the K900 so I'm worried about service and attention to detail on a luxury car of that caliber. I'm looking for the value prop and low cost of ownership but I don't want to have dealership techs looking at it like, wow I haven't seen one of these before. I also worry about parts and accessories. Will KIA actually come through with all-weather floor mats? These are all things that go through my head as I'm going to be invested in the car for a long, long time.
From what I have learned, there are two things about dealership K900 certifications and they are separate: sales and service. A dealership doesn't have to be certified to sell K900s, but can still service them if the service department has kept up their certification. I am fortunate that I have a local dealer that is both and aims to keep it that way, at least according to the service manager. So, I understand your hesitation. Have you looked at the Genesis G90s? Do you have a Genesis-certified Hyundai dealership nearby? Those cars are a bit more expensive, but share many of the same elements at the K900.
post #15 of 345 Old 01-13-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
If you have a problem with tires flat spotting. It is more than likely your tires have nylon sidewalls.
Nylon sidewalls are know to flatspot, it usually goes away after a number of miles driving. If they
set for any length of time may not go away.
I learned that with my 2015 K900. Way around that get tires with polyester side walls flat spotting
is no where as bad and it stopped my vibration
Interesting observation and good information! I was thinking of switching the tires out for Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06, which seem to have excellent reviews on Consumer Reports. We'll see.
post #16 of 345 Old 01-13-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bverant View Post
From what I have learned, there are two things about dealership K900 certifications and they are separate: sales and service. A dealership doesn't have to be certified to sell K900s, but can still service them if the service department has kept up their certification. I am fortunate that I have a local dealer that is both and aims to keep it that way, at least according to the service manager. So, I understand your hesitation. Have you looked at the Genesis G90s? Do you have a Genesis-certified Hyundai dealership nearby? Those cars are a bit more expensive, but share many of the same elements at the K900.
Good to know about the dealerships and service. We use to have more KIA dealers in the Philadelphia metro area about 7-8 years ago but they started to consolidate. The local KIA dealer I had purchased my '09 Sedona new from did fold and became a Buick/GMC dealer back in 2012. Some of the dealerships here now are small and very "plane jane", barely a show room and almost folding card tables for sales peoples desks in a one room area. The sales associates seem to be very young, like 20 year old kids. It's a far different experience than even the Hyundai dealerships which seem to be a bit more mature and together when it comes to sales and service.

As for the G90, No, I have not looked at one. The dealership fiasco with the brand franchise moving away from Hyundai dealerships has made it more difficult to even look at them. To be honest, the 2019 G90 hasn't been updated to the tech that's in the 2019 K900. I've seen the preview video for the 2020 G90 and it looks like it's the K900's equal in tech features https://youtu.be/3pD6ovfbSwA . I don't know when 2020 G90's will arrive but it will probably be later than when I'd like to buy the car and I'm sure they'll be at least $10k more than the K900.
post #17 of 345 Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires are what I put on my 2015 K900 they have 2 ply polyester side wall construction.
They were a lot better than the OEM tires
post #18 of 345 Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Hi bverant,
As I looked at the options, I didn't see remote start listed. Can you confirm that remote start is indeed available via the UVO app and subscription?

Thanks
Bob
post #19 of 345 Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Hi bverant,
As I looked at the options, I didn't see remote start listed. Can you confirm that remote start is indeed available via the UVO app and subscription?

Thanks
Bob
Looking at my UVO Luxe app, it appears to be available though I have not tried it yet.

Here's a tip when you register your car to the UVO network: use the same account (either email address or phone number) for your car<->UVO as you do when you create your UVO account on your computer/phone. Doing this will ensure the same account is being used by your car and computer/phone.

This may not make sense until you get to that point, however.
post #20 of 345 Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bverant View Post
Looking at my UVO Luxe app, it appears to be available though I have not tried it yet.

Here's a tip when you register your car to the UVO network: use the same account (either email address or phone number) for your car<->UVO as you do when you create your UVO account on your computer/phone. Doing this will ensure the same account is being used by your car and computer/phone.

This may not make sense until you get to that point, however.
Thanks for looking. I get what you mean. My wife and I have a joint gmail account that we registered the MyHuyndai accounts to for both cars so either one of us can start, lock or control each others cars. Same with the Subaru and Audi.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page