54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 367 Old 02-16-2019, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdude View Post
Wow! I was away for a few weeks and saw this thread. Not in my wildest dream would I think a discussion in this forum would last 12 pages and counting.

Congrats to the 2019 owners. Read much angst on the hardship trying to find the right car. Doesn't look like that would change anytime soon. FYI Jan'19 US nationwide sales came in at a whopping 26 units (for reference 2014-18 annual sales were 1330 | 2524 | 834 |455 | 354; respectively). Trivia: Stinger sales were much better (16806 units in 2018 and 939 units in Jan'19).

The "sleeping gem" and bang-for-buck are what captivate most of us to the K900 to begin with. Unfortunately that's also why dealers have been reluctant to stock them (tying down too much capital and floor plan financing for a slow selling car).

Surprised to hear the Michelin Primacy is noisy; as I've quite a few sets (granted not as wide as the ones used in the K900) and have been very happy w/ them. Tire-rack survey says Primacy is among the quietest grand touring tires. My MY'15 (V8, VIP) currently wears Michelin Pilot Sport, and the only reason I went w/ that is because Michelin does not make Primacy in those sizes.

This next statement is not meant to offend, just my 2 cents: the new K900 definitely has the better interior (and of course feature content by virtue of its newer design) but the older model looks nicer on the outside. The MY'19 just doesn't look that luxurious, despite it being a fantastic car (feature, value, warranty, sleeper quality...).

2 changes would remedy this.
1) Kia should introduce the pano-moonroof coupled with the full glass blacked out roof treatment like the old K900.
2) Make the headlamp design and grille "pop" a bit more. Note I didn't say oversize and grotesque (think Lexus RX), just more sophisticated.
I spoke to the dealer doing some warranty work on mine as to why I couldn't check out the new one, when they had 40+ stingers on the lot and the salesman said they were only allotted one, and the dealership owner was "test driving" it, and has been for a while. Hard to sell a car you can't show anyone. Really sad because I wanted to check it out. Gotta get them in the showrooms before people will buy... and make a more powerful version.

UPDATE:
Dealer fixed the seatbelt tensioner under warranty but didn't do the radio reflash TSB. Said he couldn't find the CD to update their system to be able to do it... so ya

2015 K900 Black/Black Base

Last edited by TurboD16; 02-17-2019 at 07:24 PM.
post #122 of 367 Old 02-16-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Now that I'm an owner of a 2019 K900, It's been mentioned by Redline Reviews that the 2019 exterior is a bit on the anonymous side and I do agree with them ( https://youtu.be/Y2xI0tVDiv4 ). It's look is on the subtle-mature side, non-distinct. When I was comparing/shopping I really liked the Audi A6/A8 styling over the K900 especially when it came to the headlights. Those Audi matrix LED headlights are "da bomb" and are only going to get better when the US-DOT finally approves full use of the matrix mode implementation. I knew choosing the KIA had some concessions on exterior styling and fuel economy compared to others in it's class but honestly how much time do I spend with it looking at it from the outside? I don't mind it looking stately and refined. I don't mind it not having Stinger DNA on the exterior. What matters most to me is luscious creature comfort, quiet, prowess and that it's an absolute fun car to drive. I look forward to taking it out of the garage and driving it. As the other 2 owners have said, this car puts a smile on your face when you're behind the wheel and I can say this is absolutely true.

The current K900 is a completely different car than the 1st gen because the 2019 is on the Stinger platform so you have to keep that in mind comparing features between 1st and 2nd. Albert Biermann decided that the 2019 would be a more laterally stable performer and you can't really have that ability with the
pano sun-roof so there's a reason it had to go.

Also, the headlights are definitely unique in this 2019. The look on them is growing on me. It's real easy to spot a K900 in oncoming traffic because no car has headlights quite like this.
K900 Pilot likes this.

2019 K900 VIP trim
Deep Chroma Blue exterior | Sienna Brown interior
post #123 of 367 Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Hello,

On an unrelated note, WeatherTech has their all-weather floor liners available for the 2019 K900 front row. They are working on a trunk liner and should be out in the next 6 weeks or so. I bought the floor liners for mine and they look great. Here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0208191308_HDR_1550454395283.jpg (110.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 0208191309a_HDR_1550454411050.jpg (100.6 KB, 13 views)
Bob Johnston and K900 Pilot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 367 Old 02-18-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill for letting us know about the Weathertech floor liners. I just got online and ordered mine. It's a no brainer as we're in the thick of the winter months here in the North East.

I don't know if either of you got the tire and wheel warranty, but I didn't. At some point, I'd like to replace the Primacy's with something else. It's kind of ironic because for the life of me, I can't actually find Michelin Primacy MXM4's in our sizes anywhere online. TireRack comes back with This tire isn't available in 275/40-19 (Front) & 245/45-19 (Rear). So I even wonder what good a dealer warranty would even be if an exact replacement can't be had for this tire. I'm thinking KIA had Michelin make them exclusively for the K900 and Michelin saw no market to make those sizes in for the MXM4 which is a Grand Touring All Season tire.

If you look at the Ultra High Performance All Season tire, there's 2 contenders that I've researched that tend to have the best reviews for a good balance of wet, dry and snow with minimal road noise:
1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
2. Pirelli PZero Plus

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ gets good mention also but they have a bit more tread growl from what has been reviewed.
K900 Pilot likes this.

2019 K900 VIP trim
post #125 of 367 Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

In my opinion the Michelin Primacy are very quiet but if I would need new tires today I would go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 because comfort (reviews) is more important to us.

Really enjoying the K900 A LOT, I was comfortably reclined in the executive seat yesterday playing with all the settings with my wife doing the driving :-) Loved the sound quality in the backseat.

Do you guys go to the first oil change at about 6000 miles or earlier? I'm for sure going to request full synthetic Mobil 1 oil and hope they will do this.
post #126 of 367 Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I don't think the Primacy is a loud tire but I don't think it's right tire for this car. Luxury cars should have premium tires and the Primacy is a good choice tire for a Toyota Camry, but I think it's a little un-reflective of the capabilities of the K900's handling. That being said, I have no plan to replace the Primacy's till 15-20k miles or unless we incur severe tire damage before then. I'm just glad I decided not to do the dealer wheel/tire warranty.

I've only got 500 miles on my K900 so I'm a bit away from the first oil change, but I'll probably schedule it after hitting 5,000. I'll request full synthetic also. I see that Schaeffer's oil 5W30 (synthetic green) is very popular with the Stinger enthusiast crowd for that 3.3TT engine and comes highly recommended due to it's ability to endure the high heat of a twin turbo.

2019 K900 VIP trim
post #127 of 367 Old 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Thanks Bob for all you share, I agree with the tires and read up about the Schaeffer's oil.
post #128 of 367 Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 AM

I just got my first oil change done at 4500 miles...a bit early due to upcoming surgery. I don't want to maintain the car during recovery. I went with the synthetic oil offered by my Kia dealer. They use Citgo oil. One thing of note about those 6 free oil changes from Kia: they want them done close to the 6000 mile OIC, not significantly before (which was my case). The dealer was already obligated to the first two oil changes before this new K900 only policy came out, so my dealer just made it work. It will still cost me $20, no big deal.

While there, I had them look into a rattle that started about 1500 miles ago. They reached a point that they think they know where it's coming from - somewhere inside the dash - but are not fully comfortable taking it apart to resolve it. However, they've scheduled a factory field tech to come to look at it in mid-March. I am impressed it reached that level. In any case, I will keep folks posted on the progress of the repair. Also, there was a small paint defect on the hood. They did offer to repaint the entire hood, but I have declined to do so for now. The defect is very minor and I worried about creating a larger problem with paint color mismatch. I have until 3 years or 36000 miles to change my mind.

Just an update...

Thanks!
K900 Pilot likes this.
post #129 of 367 Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnston View Post
I don't know if either of you got the tire and wheel warranty, but I didn't. At some point, I'd like to replace the Primacy's with something else. It's kind of ironic because for the life of me, I can't actually find Michelin Primacy MXM4's in our sizes anywhere online. TireRack comes back with This tire isn't available in 275/40-19 (Front) & 245/45-19 (Rear). So I even wonder what good a dealer warranty would even be if an exact replacement can't be had for this tire. I'm thinking KIA had Michelin make them exclusively for the K900 and Michelin saw no market to make those sizes in for the MXM4 which is a Grand Touring All Season tire.

If you look at the Ultra High Performance All Season tire, there's 2 contenders that I've researched that tend to have the best reviews for a good balance of wet, dry and snow with minimal road noise:
1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
2. Pirelli PZero Plus

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ gets good mention also but they have a bit more tread growl from what has been reviewed.
This is a Tirerack issue; Discount Tire has the Primacy MXM4s for the front and rear of our K900. If I had to choose today between the Continental or Pirelli tires, I would go with Pirelli. I think I like the tread pattern a little better and both tires have the same rating from Consumer Reports.
post #130 of 367 Old 02-20-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Updated sales numbers for K900.
Kia K900 US car sales figures

2019 K900 VIP trim

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page