Any 2019 K900 owners out there yet? - Page 25 - Kia K900 Forum
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 367 Old 05-14-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

I use projection mode (Android Auto) and I stream music from a variety of sources with high quality from both the cloud and local music on the phone. I don't have any problems with calls and resuming music after completing the calls. It all works seamless for me.

2019 K900 VIP trim
Deep Chroma Blue exterior | Sienna Brown interior
post #242 of 367 Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnston View Post
I use projection mode (Android Auto) and I stream music from a variety of sources with high quality from both the cloud and local music on the phone. I don't have any problems with calls and resuming music after completing the calls. It all works seamless for me.
This makes sense because your phone is doing all of the work, not the infotainment system -- hence the reference "projection" mode; nothing is happening over Bluetooth and that's where I believe these bugs in the infotainment system exist.
post #243 of 367 Old 05-14-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bverant View Post

Also, if they're charging for the map updates and also including bug fixes only with those updates, that seems slimy. Bug fixes should be fixed for free.
Yes, absolutely, I agree.

Quote:
Same here, no issues. This infotainment system is - in my opinion - much faster and stable then the ones I experienced before. There will always be bugs and glitches with electronics but they should be addressed in a timely manner, especially in a car like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 367 Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This makes sense because your phone is doing all of the work, not the infotainment system -- hence the reference "projection" mode; nothing is happening over Bluetooth and that's where I believe these bugs in the infotainment system exist.
Actually phone calls are handles over BT in Android Auto even with having the USB connection via HFP profile. Not sure if you know this but Android Auto actually pairs your phone to the car the first time you plug it in. The issues you describe center around A2DP and AVRCP profile support when streaming music over BT. I tend not to listen to music over BT because the loss of audio quality. Unless there's Sony LDAC support or AptXHD codec support, BT audio lacks fidelity, especially in bass frequencies.

Projection mode offers the best audio quality for music playback without the hassle of the head unit having to scan through your device's interface every single time you plug it in. Does it not make sense to just use projection mode and just enjoy music without the headaches?

2019 K900 VIP trim
post #245 of 367 Old 05-14-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Actually phone calls are handles over BT in Android Auto even with having the USB connection via HFP profile. Not sure if you know this but Android Auto actually pairs your phone to the car the first time you plug it in. The issues you describe center around A2DP and AVRCP profile support when streaming music over BT. I tend not to listen to music over BT because the loss of audio quality. Unless there's Sony LDAC support or AptXHD codec support, BT audio lacks fidelity, especially in bass frequencies.

Projection mode offers the best audio quality for music playback without the hassle of the head unit having to scan through your device's interface every single time you plug it in. Does it not make sense to just use projection mode and just enjoy music without the headaches?
You can configure AA to turn off bluetooth when you connect the phone via cable in projection mode. In fact, it is recommended you do so. Over BT, my phone uses the AAC codec from I can tell. It's a definite improvement over the SBC codec.

Connecting my phone every time I start the car is not something I care to do. Many times I just keep my phone in a pocket, listen via BT and prefer the freedom of wireless. The Clarify sound option given to us makes BT audio sound quite decent, but I do agree that music does sound a little better over the wired connection.
post #246 of 367 Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethus7 View Post
Anybody else have this or have any ideas? I'm open to suggestions.. My local dealer has no idea and neither does KIA consumer affairs. They want to open a "tech line" what ever that is and keep my vehicle for a while. That sounds like they want to experiment for a while...
I think your playlist sizes exceed the test cases that they run on the head unit for the feature. Being a software engineer, this looks like OOM (out of memory) issue that doesn't have a graceful fail over. They are likely reading in all the songs and meta data into buffers on one thread and playing the music payload on another thread. The bug will have to reproduced and logged by the Tier1 company that handles the software for the head unit media playback. Once a fix is found, the media playback change would have to come in the form of a TSB update by the dealer.

Most MAP updates only update the firmware for the NAV. They don't tend to fix other functional areas of the head unit.

2019 K900 VIP trim
post #247 of 367 Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
I think your playlist sizes exceed the test cases that they run on the head unit for the feature. Being a software engineer, this looks like OOM (out of memory) issue that doesn't have a graceful fail over. They are likely reading in all the songs and meta data into buffers on one thread and playing the music payload on another thread. The bug will have to reproduced and logged by the Tier1 company that handles the software for the head unit media playback. Once a fix is found, the media playback change would have to come in the form of a TSB update by the dealer.

Most MAP updates only update the firmware for the NAV. They don't tend to fix other functional areas of the head unit.
Bob, this is the best and most plausable answer I have heard yet, KIA consumer affairs is speculating that it is my USB jack. Even the dealer says no to that idea because we replicated the problem on the showroom floor in an unrelated k900
post #248 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 01:10 PM

Just wanted to share this, at the time the SiriusXM trial expired I signed into my Sirius account and asked using the chat about a promotion and I got Sirius XM for 12 month for $70 plus royalties/taxes. I think this is a very good rate and I like listening to SiriusXM Radio a lot. My previous cars entertainment center did not show the artwork thru Sirius – only an empty placeholder - but the K900 shows it beautifully.
post #249 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K900 Pilot View Post
Just wanted to share this, at the time the SiriusXM trial expired I signed into my Sirius account and asked using the chat about a promotion and I got Sirius XM for 12 month for $70 plus royalties/taxes. I think this is a very good rate and I like listening to SiriusXM Radio a lot. My previous cars entertainment center did not show the artwork thru Sirius – only an empty placeholder - but the K900 shows it beautifully.
If you wait long enough after it expires, the deals keep getting better. The best I have received so far: $60 for 1 year. I still don't think the service is worth $5 a month. Spotty connection, terrible sound quality. Don't see it's value if you can stream music you want on your phone.
post #250 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
If you wait long enough after it expires, the deals keep getting better. The best I have received so far: $60 for 1 year. I still don't think the service is worth $5 a month. Spotty connection, terrible sound quality. Don't see it's value if you can stream music you want on your phone.
Yes but I did not want to wait for month and $70 is a fair price in my opinion. I like this service and use it often every time when I cannot find anything I like at this moment on my USB drive. Sound quality in my experience varies from channel to channel some are good and some are meh, certainly depends on the source of the audio files too. At least for me it is worth the money and I understand this does not go for everyone and this is fine. I just wanted to point out a good deal.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page