What on earth is this?! - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-18-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Default What on earth is this?!

It's in the middle of the inside of the trunk lid, and seems to have no function imaginable.

People I've showed it to want to guess a cargo hook or emergency trunk release, but I don't think either of those can be right, because I've already found them in other parts of the trunk.

There's a horizontal indentation behind it, suggesting it's supposed to hold something like a bar or stick up there. I'd guess it's somehow related to the jacking system, but all that is stowed under the floor and I can't see why there's be one piece up top.

It's actually shown in the trunk drawings in the manual, but I can't find that it's explained in there anywhere.

I'm stumped. Anybody here got the answer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trunkthingamajig.jpg (186.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Trunkthingamajig_in_manual.jpg (79.7 KB, 33 views)
post #2 of 12 Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

umbrella holder; many of the first ones came with an umbrella provided.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

That crossed my mind, but it seemed to me that the thing was not big enough to hold an umbrella, even the smallest collapsible I ever saw.

Was there a special K900 umbrella that would fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-19-2018, 04:05 PM

mine didn't have one but I do use it with a regular collapsible one about 15 inches long. actually like it; keeps it handy but out of the way. it locks securely and stays in place. hope you are enjoying the car and liking the color!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2018, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

Mine had a collapsible emergency road triangle for safety when changing a tire on the road.
Fits perfect.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-20-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Ah--two good ideas! So I guess we'll call it a triangle/umbrella holder! I have no triangle, so I guess I'll see about putting an umbrella up there.

I am very much enjoying the car, Dave! Black is never going to be my favorite, and of course I got it at exactly the wrong time--the sun is scorching right now. But I'm getting used to it. I'm keeping the sunshades up, and I find the A/C is powerful enough to get me too cold, if I don't watch it.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2018, 02:16 AM

one thing I thought about black cars and more sun is to remember we have the black glass roof on every color. that would seem to have the same effect on any car's interior temperature; maybe worse or maybe better? I do really enjoy the cooled seat and this is the first time a cooled seat actually makes me cooler ( once the interior temps come down a bit of course ).. I also chose to add the ceramic ( is that what it's called ? ) window tint and it is a big help.

keep enjoying it!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2018, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

You are right about that black roof; it does match nicely on the black cars, but probably does tend to heat up the interior.

In fact, it matches so well, it fooled the inspector from Lemon Squad that I had out; he put his paint thickness meter on it and didn't get a reading.

Yes, still enjoying the car, very much!
post #9 of 12 Old 08-09-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

OK, here's a challenge for the owners--post a picture of your umbrella up there. Or better yet, a video of putting in in there--I want to see what the trick is.

I've tried and tried with a very skinny umbrella and it just doesn't work. That thing would hold more like a magic marker, IMHO.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Intender View Post
OK, here's a challenge for the owners--post a picture of your umbrella up there. Or better yet, a video of putting in in there--I want to see what the trick is.

I've tried and tried with a very skinny umbrella and it just doesn't work. That thing would hold more like a magic marker, IMHO.

I'm no good with posting photos but I definitely have an umbrella in mine. it's a standard telescoping/folding umbrella; I just opened the latch, put it in and snapped the latch closed over it. mine has stayed up for nearly 2 years; (not to be confused with an issue ' lasting longer thatn 4 hours requiring medical attention.')

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page