transmission question - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-16-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Default transmission question

I was browsing K900 YouTube videos, and ran across one that said the three top gears of the 8-speed are all overdrive.

Is that true? What could be the use of so many? In around-town driving, you could probably never use them at all, and I don't see a need for three even on the highway.
post #2 of 3 Old 06-18-2018, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Improved performance and better fuel economy. More gears means a greater ratio spread between them, meaning the engine has more options for optimal operation. Transmissions with more gears allow for a higher first drive ratio, and a very low ratio overdrive gear. If the transmission is calibrated properly, more can also provide smoother shifting, and so more comfortable driving.

That said, the improved performance/comfort aspect seems to account for about 10-20% of the reason. The remainder is improved fuel economy, which is extremely important for meeting CAFE fleet averages. 0.1 or 0.2 mpg is essentially irrelevant to the owner of the car, but it can mean millions of dollars for the manufacturer in terms of avoiding government penalties. CAFE is also the reason for direct injection engines, start-stop systems that shut off your engine at stoplights, the elimination of spare tires in many models and other changes that make little sense otherwise.

So long story short, small improvements to fuel economy that boost CAFE fleet averages are why manufacturers are almost universally using 8, 9 and even 10 speed transmissions in new cars.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-18-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

All true, no doubt, but I'm still wondering why three overdrives? That seems like overkill, even considering CAFE, etc.

BTW, I'm not finding that either the multi-gear trans or the ECO drive mode do much for the K900's fuel economy. It REALLY likes gas, and mind you, I generally drive a Town Car, so I'm not easy to impress in that regard. But I'm impressed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page