Stinger = K900 - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Default Stinger = K900

I was wondering if the new Stinger and the K900 are basically the same car. Seemed unlikely Kia would produce two different RWD platforms.

So, I googled, and found the below. Looks like I was right, at least from the firewall back.

Quote:
4. The Stinger is built on the same basic platform as its K900 stablemate, but with a key difference. The mid FR platform, its the modular platform we use it across the board for K900, our sisters [Hyundai/Genesis] it for their two big FR cars. But the front and dash, forward, the engine room box is completely different, Hedrick said. Its a little bit smaller in the front, its a little bit lighter, so that helped with the weight distribution.
12 Things You Didn?t Know About the 2018 Kia Stinger | Automobile Magazine

This site actually claims the 2019 K900 will be styled after the Stinger, although with all the camo in the pix, I couldn't see much of a resemblance myself.

https://www.motor1.com/news/158269/2...00-spy-photos/

Last edited by K9Intender; 12-30-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #2 of 5 Old 12-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage

Looks like KIA got smart and did away with the fake fender vents.
I'm pretty sure it will have all the features on the Genesis G90 or G80
K900 is same size as the G80, G90 is a little bigger.
Would be nice if KIA would add the Turbo V8 to the lineup.
Hope they have cars in the dealerships. I would have purchased or
leased a new one this time, But they just aren't to be had.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Am not aware K900 and Stinger share the same chassis..., which is surprising because the driving dynamics of the 2 cars cannot be more different.

K900 is akin to what a Lincoln Towncar would be like if Ford still makes it. Stinger drives like a blend between a BMW 3-5 series from a few years back when it cares more handling than ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-01-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Lately the few of us (you know who you're) have been lighting this board up after months of almost zero activity; and have discussed the merits of K900 ad nauseam.

I think it comes down to this, buying or owning a K900 today means:

1) You've to be prepared for Kia not bringing new ones States-side after MY'17 or MY'18. It simply isn't selling. That doesn't bother me because the go-concerning risk is absent unless Kia decides to pull out of North America which is unlikely. You may have to wait longer for parts, though.
2) This is among the best luxury sedan money can buy dollar-for-feature and yes, by rarity. If you can look past the Kia badge and like the styling, snatch one up pronto before the more desirable ones disappear. If you cannot get past the badge, check out K5 Optima Store and you can cure that "stigma" for $50-$80.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdude View Post
K900 is akin to what a Lincoln Towncar would be like if Ford still makes it.
Yes! That's exactly why this TC owner wants one!

As far as parts go, I'm figuring that V-8 driveline pieces will probably be available whatever Kia does, since Hyundai/Genesis is using it too. I understand it's also partly common to the V-8 that was in the Borrego, although that didn't hang around long in this market. On the other hand, I do suspect body and trim parts may be hard to come by in a few years. But there's some risk in whatever you buy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page