Some newbie questions - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Default Some newbie questions

So, I've been mousing around the net and collecting all the K900 info I can. Got a few questions.

Is it true there's no remote start? I saw that on one web page. Seems very odd on such a loaded vehicle nowadays.

How do you update the nav system? I ask because I've had friends with units that were very expensive and/or very complicated to update. I don't see that covered anywhere.

Naturally, I want the loadest model possible--V-8 with VIP package only. Most any listing will tell you the engine, but you can't always tell exactly what options are there from a dealer's description, particularly with used cars. So I always look for some quick-check sign that will tell me exactly what equipment the car has. I think I've found one with the K-900--it's the power seat cushion switch--pic attached. I think that only came with the VIP package regardless of year or engine. Am I right?

And the worst thing I've run across is this note from Car & Driver's long-term test: "...the one time the K900—with cruise control activated—initiated full panic braking, even cinching the seatbelts tight, from 75 mph for no apparent reason. That never happened again, thankfully."
Link here: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...wrap-up-review
Yikes! And more yikes! Once of this kind of thing could be enough to get you killed in traffic, seems to me. Has anybody experienced this? Is it a known issue? Was there a recall?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeatSwitchVIP.jpg (55.1 KB, 2 views)
post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Default vip K900

There are a few things you can check to tell if it is VIP.
look at the steering wheel ,see the picture, there will be an extra button (circled)
on the VIP model. If that button isn't there it is not VIP. That is the advanced cruise control.
Look on top of the dash in front of the driver, half way to the windshield, VIP should
have a mirror looking projector for the heads up display. HUD is only on the VIP model.
You can see that just looking thru the wind shield. If no projector then no VIP.

There is no remote start on the K900

To update the nav system go to www.mapnsoft.com . it will cost you at min $149.00 some are more
they post up dates every year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sketch (1).jpg (193.4 KB, 10 views)
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the cruise button. That's very handy--practically any ad shows you the steering wheel. The heads up display is harder to spot, though--there's often not a picture that lets you see the top of the dash.

I still think it's weird there's not remote start, though. Lots of fairly inexpensive cars have it nowadays.

I checked out the map update. I don't guess $149 is totally outrageous as things go nowadays, but the download time of 2-3 hours is! Fortunately I was glad to see they let you order a preloaded USB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I've downloaded the update in as little as 20 minutes. It's the time
to down load to the car that is longest. took an hour and 40 min. on my last one.
you also have to keep the car running or hook up to a charger.
Some dealers will install the update for. They make a few dollars
for your car just setting there on a charger.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Glad to know about the running/charge issue, although I think it's strange. How much power can updating some memory eat up??
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

The radio will be on and a bunch of modules will run.
Have to have radio on to see what it wants next.
Then too it will keep beeping at you say battery discharge
or some such crap
I traded in my 2015 K900 because my wife wanted the
rear monitors for the grandchildren and we got a Genesis G90 5.0 RWD Ultimate
and my payments went down from the K900 on a 2018
I like the exterior style of the K900 much better, have to keep the wife happy
There was a sale and a bunch of discounts on the Genesis which I couldn't get on the K900.
I hope KIA updates the K900 next year to what the Genesis has on it. That would mean this
model will a lot lower priced on a cpo
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I also read the C&D "full panic stop" article. I never experienced that in my 1.5 years of ownership.

So long as you can look pass the badge (putting Kia and luxury in the same sentence), the K900 is a great buy new compared to other cars (see Alex on Auto for K900 on Youtube; towards the end he described how a comparably equipped BMW 7, MB S-class, Audi etc will cost -- in all cases all $20k-$40k more). Compared to Euro-makes, the K900 is at least if not way more reliable; on top of that you've got a killer warranty.

Saving the best for last, since Kia is not known to hold value like Toyota or Lexus, buy your K900 CPO. They list for 60% of retail. Even loaded MY2015 or 2016 barely top $40k; which makes for a great, great buy.

I've mine and commute 50 miles daily, can't be happier.

Yes, make sure you get one w/ the VIP package. Other tell-tale signs of VIP is the dashboard (it has to be full LCD), or look a the set of 4-buttons to the left of steering wheel. If you see HUD, then you've VIP. If there are only 3 buttons in that 4-button design, then no VIP... See attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160814_072130.jpg (150.9 KB, 8 views)
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, mdude. That C/D article has been troubling me.

The hint about the HUD button is very good too. You never quite know what angle a an pic will show you, so it's good to have several cues to look for on the VIP.

On the instruments, though, I'm having trouble telling the LCD from the regular. It appears to me that the LCD, I guess on the default setting, looks almost exactly like the physical gauge set on the lower-line models. At least it's not easy to distinguish in a photograph.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

on the non VIP models the speedo and tach are reversed from the VIP. VIP speedo is on the left side. As a comment, I love all the features but I LOVE the HUD and will never buy another car without it. It is amazing to have all your driving info right there in view without having to lower my eyes to any gauges. HUD includes speed, blind spot, crash warning, gps map/info, lane departure, and maybe even more. Mine is the black with white VIP and love it; buy used and save almost 50 % from new!

No regrets after one year of driving!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page