Kia K900 Forum

Kia K900 Forum (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/)
-   New 2013+ K900 General Discussion Forum (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/new-2013-k900-general-discussion-forum-9/)
-   -   smelly trunk (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/new-2013-k900-general-discussion-forum-9/smelly-trunk-2769/)

racerjack44 04-03-2016 01:04 AM

smelly trunk

Have this terrible smell in my trunk. Did not have it until after rear floor hump carpet was replaced.
Put some odor eater in trunk to no avail.
Dealer has no idea, said it might be tire. Removed spare tire for a few days, no change in smell.
Anyone have a "terrible" smell in their trunk.
:eek:

Gene 04-03-2016 01:24 PM

NO
I'll bet I'd change the rear floor carpet. at least pull the rear seat bottom, To see if something was under there.
Like you said it wasn't there until rear hump carpet was changed.

funnyman7915 04-03-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 14169)
NO
I'll bet I'd change the rear floor carpet. at least pull the rear seat bottom, To see if something was under there.
Like you said it wasn't there until rear hump carpet was changed.

A number of years ago and a few cars ago i had a terrible smell in the trunk and it spread to the whole car .I found ( not the dealer ) an apple that had rotted that fell out of our grocery bag and got wedged in a crevice .You might want to check if there is anything dead or rotting every possible place in trunk. If that doesnt work sell the cxar >:D

coronad0 11-07-2016 11:08 PM

Hey rackerjack, did you ever figure out what the smell was? I have this exact same problem in my V8 Lux ... just a God awful smell in the trunk. Have done sprays, oder-eaters, everything ... still there.

Cleaned out the carpet mat, actually let that sit outside for a month ... smell is still there. :(

yangstein 12-05-2016 02:29 PM

I have the same problem from Day 1. It is something you can't get rid of. I put air refresher in the trunk. That is it.

79AG 07-30-2017 03:14 PM

Smelly Trunk

Have been fighting a nasty odor that seems to be coming from the trunk in our 2015 K900. Dealer has cleaned out the a/c duct, replaced some of the carpet and it solved the problem for a short time. Came back after I washed the car by hand on the driveway. Seems to be coming from the trunk.

Zathras 07-31-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79AG (Post 19185)
Have been fighting a nasty odor that seems to be coming from the trunk in our 2015 K900. Dealer has cleaned out the a/c duct, replaced some of the carpet and it solved the problem for a short time. Came back after I washed the car by hand on the driveway. Seems to be coming from the trunk.

Hey 79AG, I bought my 2015 K900 used and it also had a bad odor in the trunk. I pulled everything out of the trunk to clean it up and air up the spare, and I noticed that the battery has a vent tube. The tube is supposed to go through a hole in the floor of the spare tire well, but mine was just flopping around loose. I ran the tube back through the vent hole in the floor and fixed it in place with a little silicone sealant and have not had any odor issues in the trunk since. Not sure if your problem is the same, but it can't hurt to check and see if that battery vent tube is loose.

The other possibility is you have a water leak in the trunk and are getting mildew. Remove the trunk seal (the gasket between the trunk lid and the car body) and see if it's wet along the inside groove. Look for unexpected bends in the metal flange that the seal goes on. Sometimes an object gets caught when closing the trunk and bends the flange, preventing a tight seal.

If the flange is bent, straighten it and put the gasket back on and see if this stops the leaks. If it's not bent, but there's water in the gasket, replace it.

Gene 07-31-2017 12:03 PM

Zathras
That's the way to share. Hope those with this problem read this.

79AG 10-31-2017 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll check the battery vent tube.