Should I buy? - Kia K900 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-04-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Default Should I buy?

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'm a bit nervous regarding this relatively unknown beauty.
I want a luxury car with some degree of performance. I was ready to buy a Benz E350 or an Audi A6 and then stumbled on the K900. I drove a new 2020 yesterday and was floored as to how nice it was for the money and how it out performed the Benz and the Audi. I could care less that it does not sport a MB star or Audi' circles. I don't buy a car for the sake of "Look at Me" I have a German Luxury car.
Your opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.
post #2 of 15 Old 04-04-2020, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

First, welcome cebk900! We are always glad to see new members coming in here.

The question you ask is a big one, though, and doesn't have a simple answer. The K is a rare and odd kind of vehicle--a unicorn as another poster here has called it. You will have some evidence on both sides of the question to chew over before you can decide.

Let's see some of the negatives first. Depreciation is huge, and only a small set of Kia dealers are equipped to work on them. Parts are likely to be scarce and expensive and get more so as the car ages. Insurance tends to be on the high side, as the companies know the likely repair costs. There are a couple of things that have been complained about enough here that they are worth watchng out for--tire vibration, peeling wheel chrome, and dashboard leather separation. (These things may be fixed on the 2019+ model. I don't think we have enough cars and owners from that generation yet to say.) Updating the navigation system is a pain, and on the first generation cars there is no Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Now for the good stuff--first of all, exclusivity! You won't see one everywhere you go, for sure. In fact, depending on where you live, you may never see another one at all. Many car guys will be puzzled by it, and those who do know what it is will be anxious to tell you they do. If you want to take it to a show, you can pretty well amaze the multitudes. Beyond that, it's roomy and comfortable, the interior is really well designed and trimmed, and even the lower line models have a ton of equipment on them. Looks are subjective, of course, but I'd say the styling is good in a pleasantly unobtrusive way. I consider mine very well put together and solid-feeling.

As far as performance, my feeling is that it's a bit overrated. The engine is ready to rev (I'm talking about the V8), but I think the transmission holds it back somewhat. I didn't find that running it in Sport mode made a lot of difference there, but definitely did give worse gas mileage. But that's another subjective kind of perception.

So, if you're like the rest of us here, that's about enough info for two sleepless nights. :-)

Let us know what your conclusions are.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #3 of 15 Old 04-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome to the forum. I'll pit this against the Genesis G90 any day also and a better price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-05-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Hello Intender. I thank you for the input. On a whole, I think you are giving me the message of Don't buy.
There is not much out there for luxury, performance and reliability after warranty. The Americans have the inferior Lincoln and Cadillac. Lexus (in my opinion) has the reliability but lacks in performance and luxury unless you buy a LS500.
The German cars have good performance, great quality but turn into an unreliable money pit soon after warranty.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-05-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. After digesting all the info I can find on the internet and many hours on YouTube, I've come to the consensus that (at least the 2019 & 2020) is the all around winner in the luxury car class. All the reviewers on YouTube and I don't mean the KIA dealers, give it a 2 thumbs up and a good deal of them rave about it. I spent a good 2 hours with the one I'm thinking of buying and I'm hard pressed to find negatives. I'd love to have a turbo V8 but I think the V8 is going the way of the land line telephone. I have a new Stinger GT2 with the 3.3 Twin turbos and it is a rocket at 500 pounds less than the K900. The K900 is not as quick but it is close.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-06-2020, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Multiple K900 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebk900 View Post
Thanks for your input. After digesting all the info I can find on the internet and many hours on YouTube, I've come to the consensus that (at least the 2019 & 2020) is the all around winner in the luxury car class. All the reviewers on YouTube and I don't mean the KIA dealers, give it a 2 thumbs up and a good deal of them rave about it. I spent a good 2 hours with the one I'm thinking of buying and I'm hard pressed to find negatives. I'd love to have a turbo V8 but I think the V8 is going the way of the land line telephone. I have a new Stinger GT2 with the 3.3 Twin turbos and it is a rocket at 500 pounds less than the K900. The K900 is not as quick but it is close.
cebk900...I just bought my third K900 a week ago. The 2015 (2-year lease) and 2016 (3-year lease) were very enjoyable and both were 420hp V8 Luxury. The 2019 is an outright purchase and a 365hp V6 bi-turbo Luxury VIP.

I drove Mercedes Benz S-class cars from 1989 to 2004 and Lexus LS cars from 2004 to 2015. From an overall quality/fit & finish standpoint I have to acknowledge that this is where the trade offs were made. MB and Lexus are clearly better in this area though not 50% to 100% better.

The K900 tech is absolutely outstanding!! Your K900 should come with 3-years of services (oil changes, tire rotations); concierge service so you never have to actually go to your dealer; UVO app which has remote start, lock, climate control; I believe there is an annual navigation update for basically year two and three; emergency road service which includes free flatbed tows to the nearest K900 dealer (I have only used it once but I was 30 miles away from my dealer and he also sent me out a Stinger GT loaner!); there may be more but this is off the top of my head.

Though my 2019 does have the VIP package, KMA's realignment of features between 2017 and 2019 moved key features like heads up display, autonomous emergency stop and sonar cruise control from VIP to Luxury really adding value to what is now the base model. Leaving Hankook tires and RWD behind in favor of Michelin tires and AWD is a game changer as is the addition of the rear camera view in the dash for signaled lane changes!!!

The only sad change was the panorama to moonroof. I do not believe that either acoustic or structure arguments are the legitimate explanation as MB has a panorama roof in the S63, so clearly it's resolvable. The last super significant change was the base model engine from what was an anemic, naturally aspirated, six cylinder to the Stinger bi-turbo and still reduced the base model price! Note that 0-60 in the 2019 V6 bi-turbo is faster than the 2015-2017 V8!!

I agree with the observation about depreciation which is why I leased the first two. The 2019 opportunity came up due to KMA promotional dollars to dealers, my particular car was already written down by the dealer and, if you have a relationship with a top dealer, my dealer applied additional "KMA dollars" to discount the purchase. Put these all together and the depreciation hit is gone.

Best of luck if you do go K900. I am confident that you will find it rewarding.

P.S. I strongly suggest a ceramic coating, like Ceramic Pro, for the exterior and interior. My new K900 is black exterior with black interior. It looks great and super easy to keep clean! The 2016 was white exterior with beige interior. OMG! That interior was impossible to keep clean, something that Ceramic Pro Sport on the interior would have solved.

Last edited by Chicagoua; 04-06-2020 at 05:47 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Hello Intender. I thank you for the input. On a whole, I think you are giving me the message of Don't buy.
There is not much out there for luxury, performance and reliability after warranty. The Americans have the inferior Lincoln and Cadillac. Lexus (in my opinion) has the reliability but lacks in performance and luxury unless you buy a LS500.
The German cars have good performance, great quality but turn into an unreliable money pit soon after warranty.
I don't think he was saying don't buy. He was just making you aware of things you may encounter when you do buy. It is quite a good car. 90% of a MB or Lexus at 50% cost.
Dave H and K900 Pilot like this.

'14 Cadenza, '16 Sedona
post #8 of 15 Old 04-08-2020, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Yes, that's right. Myself, I'm quite happy with my car--no regrets at all after 1.5 years.

But I had researched it exhaustively before buying, which is what I would recommend anybody to do.
Dave H, Kia-Driver and K900 Pilot like this.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #9 of 15 Old 04-09-2020, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Default k900

Quote:
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'm a bit nervous regarding this relatively unknown beauty.
I want a luxury car with some degree of performance. I was ready to buy a Benz E350 or an Audi A6 and then stumbled on the K900. I drove a new 2020 yesterday and was floored as to how nice it was for the money and how it out performed the Benz and the Audi. I could care less that it does not sport a MB star or Audi' circles. I don't buy a car for the sake of "Look at Me" I have a German Luxury car.
Your opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum, I purchased a 2019 with the VIP package and I'm very happy with this hidden gem. I feel the same way, my wife's sister purchased a Lexis 3 series that will also run a battery as well as gas. When my wife told her we got a luxury car and she ask what did we get and she told her a KIA K900 she asked my wife why didn't you buy a lexis. After she seen the car she knows why. She is the snobby type and only see brand names and she have very little common sense. I say drive what makes you feel happy and I like a car with some horsepower, comfort and with a big trunk for when the wife wants to go shopping.
Kia-Driver and K900 Pilot like this.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-10-2020, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Brand snobs will walk right past a Kia, but they'll miss out on what a great car the K900 is. I'd rather drive what I like regardless of the badge on it, though I'm finding I have a preference for Kia lately.
Dave H and K900 Pilot like this.

'14 Cadenza, '16 Sedona

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page