Shifting out of P, emer brake won't turn off, EPB light and auto hold come on? - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-21-2021, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Shifting out of P, emer brake won't turn off, EPB light and auto hold come on?

Got in my 2015 K900 (V8 with shift by wire, in case it matters), which was parked in my garage in P with emergency brake on, which is a switch you pull near gear shifter.

Started it up, shifted into R, and my parking brake did not come off, EPB light came on, and auto hold light (orange auto hold light) came on. Doesn't matter if I am in R, N or D, I get the same thing. Can't move the car and can't get the lights to go away. Trying to push down/pull up on the emergency brake button does not release the brake.

Any ideas what is going on? Is there an easy fix I am missing?

Thanks!

Last edited by pappy97; 04-21-2021 at 02:03 PM.
post #2 of 6 Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Sorry to hear, pappy97. I haven't had that issue, but there is a thread here about it:

https://www.k900forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion-10/epb-stuck-k900-having-towed-now-2969/

It doesn't really indicate any solution short of dealer service, though, so I suspect that's what you're going to have to do.

Let us know how this works out--the rest of us may need the info eventually.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #3 of 6 Old 04-22-2021, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Intender View Post
Sorry to hear, pappy97. I haven't had that issue, but there is a thread here about it:

https://www.k900forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion-10/epb-stuck-k900-having-towed-now-2969/

It doesn't really indicate any solution short of dealer service, though, so I suspect that's what you're going to have to do.

Let us know how this works out--the rest of us may need the info eventually.
Will do, waiting for the tow truck now. I read something about some people other Hyundai/Kia having luck with pulling out the EPB fuses, starting the car, then replacing the fuses, and then starting it up again and the parking brake disengaged. Tried it, didn't work. I do believe the EPB module is faulty. The fact that others have had it tells me this is something that may happen over time with these K900's. I just recently crossed the 70k mile mark.

(For the record, I am well aware that K900's can have issues and costly ones, but ones like this where my car is huge brick and needs to go through the hassle of being towed irks me more than just things where I can drive to dealer/mechanic)

I have a very good extended warranty (Maxcare from Carmax), so I shouldn't be out of pocket on anything, but again, I'll let y'all know what the diagnosis is.

Last edited by pappy97; 04-22-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2021, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Update: Just heard back on the diagnosis. Says they need to replace the epb "motor." I assume this is the epb module?

They've ordered the part, comes in on Monday, and then they'll replace and test. Hopefully that's all it is. Sucks to be out of a car from Thursday to Monday (Really Wed to Mon since I discovered the issue on Wed), but such is the life of a K900 owner.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-23-2021, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Yes, it's lousy to be out of a ride, for sure. Glad they were able to get your part, though.

I am no mechanic, but I'm going to guess they were telling the literal truth about the motor. When you pull or step on a regular manual parking brake, you put pressure on the cables to the rear wheels to lock them up. With these electronic ones, I'm sure there's a motor doing that. Kind of like on a fly-by-wire plane--the pilot is no longer pulling a lever that moves the flaps, but the flaps still have to move.

And it makes sense that the motor would wear at some point, since I believe all these cars apply the parking brake automatically on shutdown.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #6 of 6 Old 04-27-2021, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I have the car, working great again. Question: Is there a way to disable the car automatically setting the parking brake when I park and turn off the car? Of course now I am paying attention to this stuff, but I see that when I go into P, it does not set the Parking Brake, but when I turn off the car, it does then set the parking brake. Do I have an option to disable that?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page