sales figures - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2018, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Default sales figures

2017 wasn't kind to the K900, apparently.

According to what I can google up, only 455 were sold. I read somewhere that Kia was hoping to move a few thousand per year, so their strategy clearly isn't working. Well, it makes them more exclusive, I guess.

This chart I found shows that it started pretty strong, over 1300 in 2014, which I think must have been only a partial model year, and over 2500 in 2015. I've never seen a '14 on sale or even referred to in the U.S., so I believe all those were titled as '15s. That explains what I imagine we've all noticed on the used market--there's a huge overproportion of '15s on sale vs. the other two years.

Kia K900

Got it here:
Kia K900 US car sales figures
post #2 of 7 Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Here is MY16 w/ 11k on odo for $32k; a V8 Luxury w/ VIP package.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=175163609
post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes! You are so right, mdude. That one you linked to is a true unicorn among '16s.

A large proportion of them had the V6, and it looks to me like a lot of the V8s did not have the VIP package. Probably Kia was trying to pump up the sales figures with lower prices, which from the chart above seems to have had exactly the reverse effect--very few were sold in any configuration.

I bookmarked that one several weeks ago and have obsessed on it more than once since. But unfortunately, the Carfax is dirty. There's a rear-end collision, a windshield replacement that seems odd, and finally the Kia dealer that had it decided to auction it out. New car dealers would normally keep a creampuff like this, assuming the creampuffery is real. So I'm afraid this one might be a bad bet, although I still haven't written it off completely.

It's MUCH easier to find a good, V8, loaded '15, so that may be what I'll end up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-11-2018, 05:54 PM

My apology. Didn't know that one has a dirty CarFax, couldn't tell from the Vehicle History section of that webpage. Had I known I wouldn't have forwarded it for your consideration... Well, the hunt continues.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

No problem, mdude. You can tell I'm a little compulsive on these things - I run down every shred of info I can find on any car I'm interested in. That's so I can obsess on it more efficiently. :-)

The weird thing about this one is that the price has apparently gone up! CarGurus showed it up by $1,000 today, although when I clicked over the dealer site I didn't find it in inventory. It would be strange if they raised the price and that actually sold it, wouldn't it?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 AM

My 2 cents:

1) The shopping process is as much fun as actually buying the car. So if you can prolong it, enjoy.

2) Since K900s sold in such low numbers, to find the right model/mileage/color-combo, you may need to shop out-of-state, sight unseen... I've owned a few cars before that have an active enthusiastic community; meaning local (and knowledgeable) members can check the car out. No such luck w/ the K900 purchase. Saw a CPO at the dealer 3 states away with everything I was looking for and snapped it up. In all fairness I probably paid a $2-3k too much; but in the scheme of things I've no regret. Owned the car for 1.5 years now and love it.

3) Car shopping is as much emotional as rational, which comes down to this: when you come across a MY'15 in the $24k-$28k range, or a MY'16-17 in the $26-$35k range, and you're $1-2k south of what the seller wants, would you come up w/ the goods or hold out?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-14-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Oh, boy, are you right about the emotional part! I don't even need another car, but I'm consumed with desire nevertheless. I don't know if I agree about prolonging the process--sort of like prolonging the engagement before the wedding, I guess. In some ways it's prolonging a torture, though; I'm too impatient to get on to the wedding night!

As regards the art of the deal--where have I heard that before?--I think, given the relative production quantities, I'd hang tough on a '15 because there'll be another one around soon. On the later ones, if I found the right one, I'd probably pony on up rather than let it get away.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page