a real complaint about the roof - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-04-2020, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Thumbs down a real complaint about the roof

Generally, my K900 is holding up very well and I consider it a high-quality car. Even the dash delamination which I've posted about elsewhere is fairly minor; you don't tend to see it unless you look for it.

However, now I've just got to complain about the panels that run along the roof on both sides of the sunroof. These things are just cheap plastic, and they are fading in the sun like cheap plastic does. They are very visible and not worthy of the rest of the car. In fact, they are more what you expect on an entry-level econobox.

I had noticed this before, but recently I was in a parking garage at night right under a fluorescent light, and boy did it show up! Pic below, and the one on the other side is just as bad. Anybody else got this?

And I'm not quite sure what to do about them. I wonder if they are even paintable to a presentable degree? You could use some kind of treatment like Armor-All, I guess, but that's very-short term and might well run down on the rest of the car. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K900FadedRoofPanel.jpg (343.3 KB, 17 views)

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2020, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Although my 2015 does not appear to be as bad as yours, I have a similar problem. I am going to try Mother's Back to Black, in a red bottle, which I have had great success with on some black rubber/plastic parts on another car of mine.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2020, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Default I'm thinking painting them would be a great option!

There are many paints and possibly coatings that are specifically for black trim that are meant to stand up to sunlight and weather. I even think they could be painted on the car with careful taping and protection for the surrounding areas. Many people do this for the posts between the front and rear windows which are subject to a great deal of wear. I bet you could even do this yourself!. Youtube has some videos about this (try this link: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...of+trim+on+car). So glad to hear that your car is holding up well otherwise. My K900 would have been wonderful if it hadn't been so mistreated by its first owner (leased) who didn't take care of issues as they came up, like when they bumped/cracked the front camera while parking - a $1200 repair. And still, while I like my 2019 Toyota Avalon Limited, which has never locked me out, failed to start, etc., etc. I loved my K900 more. For some reason, Carfax still sends me service records for it, and the new owner has put 23k miles on it since. By the way I didn 't have dash lamination problems, is that the leather coming loose from the dash? Good wishes for continued reliability.

Last edited by tomspoon; 10-09-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-2020, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Let us know how the back to black works, Ted.

Tomspoon, thanks for the YouTube link. There are a lot of ideas in the videos linked there. I'll have to do some browsing to see what I might try.

Here is what the dash delam looks like. The leather does come up, but only because whatever panel is below it comes up, so it's not a little surface problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K900_dash_delam.jpg (147.3 KB, 6 views)

post #5 of 7 Old 11-05-2020, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mine is pretty bad as well and it gets under my skin every time i see it. Were those pieces not painted originally? I thought the paint had just faded on them so i tried polishing and two coats of wax and though they were improved the results were not great
post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2020, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I tried the Back to Black this weekend, and I was pleased with the results. As I previously said, even though mine were noticeably bad, they maybe were not as bad as some others. The real test will now be how long the treatment lasts before I have to re-apply. I should also mention that since purchasing my K900 back in March, it has not ever set outside for a day, as I park in a garage both at home and at work.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-13-2020, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Interesting to know, Ted. I may try that stuff.

I do frequently park outside, though, which is probably why mine is worse.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page