Prospective buyer: need help; winter driving - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 11-02-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Prospective buyer: need help; winter driving

Hello forum! First post and hopefully not the last. I have found a great deal on a 2015 k900 vip V8 at my local dealer. I just test drove it today and I like the car. I had a 2014 azera a little while ago and a Tiburon was my first car I owned so I am familiar somewhat with the kia/Hyundai brand.
So I need some very specific info on the k900. How does it do in the snow and ice? I live in pa and we get our fair share of wintery weather here. The last two years has been especially nerve racking. I know this is a heavy V8 rwd vehicle. I've never owned rwd before or driven one in the snow. I know this car has a snow mode. My biggest concern is the weight and torque of the car. I drive alot of back roads that sometimes don't get plowed for a couple of days. I have been fine in fwd cars on these roads. I searched the web for reviews on the snow handling and I actually found two where a reviewer went off the road in the snow and another where they mentioned getting stuck alot.
I am currently driving a 2016 Chrysler 300c AWD.
It has been nice being the one passing stuck cars and spinning out cars knowing that I have a little better grip and drivetrain with the AWD.
With that being said, I am a safe competent driver, but these two reviews actually led me to leave the kia dealer saying, "I need to think about this." I know winter tires are helpful, but realistically I probably won't get around to putting them on. Anyone with real world experience in this field? Snow fall may be 2-8 inches about 5-7 times a year.

Thank you so much!
post #2 of 2 Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have experience with the K900 in the snow, but I grew up in Michigan and drove all manner of RWD & FWD vehicles in the snow.

Yes, FWD generally does a little better in the snow, but RWD can do just fine as well. The only time i had a real issue with RWD in the snow was driving my '82 Supra in fresh slushy snow that was about 6" deep. It was just above freezing, and road must have been warm enough to melt the bottom of the snow, and my front wheels ended up being little snowplows, pushing the snow across the meltwater. I had to back up and get a running start at every stoplight.

If you have good all-season tires, it'll be fine. Just drive carefully and it won't be an issue.

'14 Cadenza, '16 Sedona

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page