Potential New 2015 Owner - Help - Kia K900 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Potential New 2015 Owner - Help

Hi all. Is there a buyer's guide out there? I am considering a 2015 - white with black interior and VIP package, ~40k miles. It has 7 months of warranty left. I am lucky enough to have it in my possession for a few days before having to actually buy it and I am wondering what I should be looking for? I have seen some discussion of headlight motor failure, these seem to be working correctly on this example. I've driven about 50 miles so far and it's meeting my expectations.

Thanks for any help.
post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2020, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I hear you, vvet! I was just about where you are a couple of years ago. I couldn't locate a buyers guide either. So I made my own and posted here:

https://www.k900forum.com/forum/new-...ighlight=guide

With help from the forum folks here, I did my best to run down all the significant models & options info. I couldn't really find much on mechanicals and reliability, though, because there are so few of these cars out there that there's not a decent sample size available.

I think you will find a few posts here from people who have had headlight problems, but most of us have not. I've had my car about a year and a half, and I've hit potholes, etc., without any effect on the lights. However, it does seem to be true that these things are phenomenally expensive to replace, so you are right to consider the point.

Happy shopping, and keep us posted on how you fare!

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #3 of 12 Old 03-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

If you are handy, you can at times, buy used ones in good shape on ebay. Seen them as low as $300 .
Never had a problem when I had mine

Last edited by Gene; 03-20-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2020, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

When I owned mine, I worried about the headlights, especially when I found out that each replacement cost $5,000! Its true though, they can be found on ebay. Be sure to check the following things on this car: What kind of tires are on the car? This vehicle requires Michelin Pilot Sport tires or equivalent to avoid an oscillation problem at highway speeds, at which the steering wheel will rock back in forth between 55-65 mph - this is a common problem with this vehicle so be sure to test for this. If you have the surround-view camera system, check the front camera to make sure that the lens is in good condition and not cracked - believe it or not this cost $1200 to repair on my car! Make sure the battery is in good condition, this is located in the trunk and difficult to access, requiring removal of trunk carpet, spare tire panel, and its burried down in the right side. This is a special battery that costs over $400 at the dealer, but if needed you can get it at Auto Zone for about $225. My car, a 2016 V8 VIP optioned model, had a weird problem in that moisture would condense and gather in the spare tire well, causing black mold to form on the bottom of the spare tire cover. The dealer could not find the reason for this, after keeping the car for several weeks telling me there was nothing they could do about it. This and the battery going dead all the time and locking me out of the vehicle led me to trade it in on another Kia in early 2019. Its sad because I absolutely loved the car but I couldn't endure being stranded and locked out of the car, nor did I want potential problems with mold.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-18-2020, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I think if you worry too much about everything that could go wrong, you'll never move forward.

I was a little worried about reliability when I bought my '16 Sedona brand new, so I got the bumper-to-bumper 100,000-mile warranty upgrade.

I realize now I didn't need to. I have 85,000 trouble-free miles on it. The only thing needing replacement was the sliding door motors, covered under the standard warranty at 60K.

Because of that good experience, I bought my '14 Cadenza used with 48K miles. I have the DBL headlights. I use them occasionally, but usually don't. Haven't had any problems in two years & 30K miles. If I ever do, I'll likely just not use the DBL function. Everything else about the car is great, so I don't spend time worrying about what might happen.

There have been several moments where I was ready to jump to a K900. The only thing stopping me was timing and available finances. I didn't, and won't, give possible DBL failure a second thought.

'14 Cadenza, '16 Sedona
post #6 of 12 Old 03-19-2020, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default Potential New 2015 Owner

My 2015 VIP V8 was manufactured in 2014 and delivered to the dealer March 2015. I test drove it then and finally purchased it new with under 3,000 miles on it. I had four headlights replaced due to major Detroit-type pot holes (I live in Dallas, Texas) under warranty. Three OEM wheels (they are "chrome" powder coated were bent due to road conditions and I had them straightened. Otherwise-one heck of a smooth, quiet, fast car. I have 76,500 miles on it, made numerous trips with it, still have the original brakes, and other than tires and anew battery three months ago (still worked well), every thing is original and works perfectly. I have never had an oscillation problem at highway speeds. The correct battery came from Auto Zone for under $200 and they replaced it for me.

I really love this car, the dealers who sell the K900 cars treat me well, and I have hopes of putting many more miles on it.
Dave H and Kia-Driver like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-20-2020, 10:21 AM

It's always nice to hear from owners who are happy with their purchase.

'14 Cadenza, '16 Sedona
post #8 of 12 Old 03-24-2020, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia-Driver View Post

Yep, that group includes me!
Kia-Driver likes this.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #9 of 12 Old 03-25-2020, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia-Driver View Post
If I wrecked mine today, I would go out and buy that same one again. Nothing else for the price right now peaks my interest
Kia-Driver likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethus7 View Post
If I wrecked mine today, I would go out and buy that same one again. Nothing else for the price right now peaks my interest
On a couple occasions, when in the vicinity of distracted drivers not paying attention & accidentally swerving close, I found myself thinking, "Go ahead, hit me, I'll get that K900 a little bit sooner!"

'14 Cadenza, '16 Sedona

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page