K900 Dashboard Delamination - Kia K900 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-10-2016, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default K900 Dashboard Delamination

I have a 2015 K900 Luxury with two de-laminations on the top of the dash near the front window, one on the driver's side that has been there for some months and a new one on the passenger side. The car has 15,303 miles on the odometer.

Both are seen as bulges in the dash material. I can push them back in place, but neither bulge will stay down or snap back into place. The location of the car is Southern California near the beach.

Anyone have this problem?

KIA service is telling me there is no fix for this as of today.

Dan G.
dmgomez is offline  
post #2 of 12 Old 07-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
 
Gene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Default

call customer service at 1-855-454-2847 or 1-800-333-4542. with only 15,000 miles they should fix it or replace it. that is if you bought the car new. If you got it used may be out of luck. Unless it is a certified preowned
Use a windshield screen near the beach, the sun is hard on a dash
Keep after KIA customer service until you get results, some times they need pushing

Last edited by Gene; 07-10-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Gene is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-10-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

I had it in for service for another issue and at the time only the driver side was damaged. At that time they acknowledge the problem but said there was no fix. Now, the passenger side is de-laminating. It is garaged and always has a sun shield. I have owned many autos and currently have 5 other cars and have never had this problem.

Thank you for your comments

Dan G.
dmgomez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 03-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default 2015 K900 V8 - dashboard issue

Hi, I believe I have a similar issue as described, I'm a 2nd owner of a 2015 K900 V8 Luxury (not the VIP Package) and have a dash issue that's developed over the drivers side, the dash is "popped up" and I can push it down but it springs back. Also near the center vent, the leather is ripped slightly, I assume this was caused by the stress put on the leather when it popped up.

Car has less than 20k miles so still under warranty but dealership says its sun damage and not covered - Car is in Knoxville TN, and garaged daily, I really think its a stretch to claim sun damage, but apparently they are the magic words which mean no warranty replacement.

Did you get your issue resolved? I've got an escalation Manager through the K900 Customer service number, but my they are taking my local dealerships word as final....considering legal action but seems a bit excessive for what I believe is a basic warranty repair,

Any advice appreciated,

Last edited by EnglishVol; 03-02-2018 at 10:40 AM.
EnglishVol is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishVol View Post
Hi, I believe I have a similar issue as described, I'm a 2nd owner of a 2015 K900 V8 Luxury (not the VIP Package) and have a dash issue that's developed over the drivers side, the dash is "popped up" and I can push it down but it springs back. Also near the center vent, the leather is ripped slightly, I assume this was caused by the stress put on the leather when it popped up.

Car has less than 20k miles so still under warranty but dealership says its sun damage and not covered - Car is in Knoxville TN, and garaged daily, I really think its a stretch to claim sun damage, but apparently they are the magic words which mean no warranty replacement.

Did you get your issue resolved? I've got an escalation Manager through the K900 Customer service number, but my they are taking my local dealerships word as final....considering legal action but seems a bit excessive for what I believe is a basic warranty repair,

Any advice appreciated,
when I bought my used K900 November 2016 it had a deformed area (shrunken/sunken) on the dash top near the passenger side defroster vent. I had bought out of state and shipped here from Florida ( to NC ). I noticed that defect right away and talked to my service manager at my local KIA dealer; he said this was a known issue and he was able to replace the entire dash top under factory warranty. The KIA warranty district manager is a tough sell for warranty repairs but he agreed and approved replacement.
New dash pad was ordered, and required pulling the whole dash and console for replacement. Dealer did a terrific job and it still looks perfect; no rattles or any issues.
Dealer told me would have been about three grand to replace.
Definitely push the preferred customer rep; KIA DOES and has covered this; my dealer also said they'd had this happen and replaced it for another K900 owner.
Being the second owner did not affect my claim; good luck.

PUSH and push again; be fair, reasonable, and polite but be firm.
Dave H is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Default

Can someone be so kind as to publish an image of the delaminated dash? I have a hard time picturing it. Thanks!
mdude is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
when I bought my used K900 November 2016 it had a deformed area (shrunken/sunken) on the dash top near the passenger side defroster vent. I had bought out of state and shipped here from Florida ( to NC ). I noticed that defect right away and talked to my service manager at my local KIA dealer; he said this was a known issue and he was able to replace the entire dash top under factory warranty. The KIA warranty district manager is a tough sell for warranty repairs but he agreed and approved replacement.
New dash pad was ordered, and required pulling the whole dash and console for replacement. Dealer did a terrific job and it still looks perfect; no rattles or any issues.
Dealer told me would have been about three grand to replace.
Definitely push the preferred customer rep; KIA DOES and has covered this; my dealer also said they'd had this happen and replaced it for another K900 owner.
Being the second owner did not affect my claim; good luck.

PUSH and push again; be fair, reasonable, and polite but be firm.

Thank you for this advice, I bought the car at a Carmax and I'm in communication with their service manager, He agrees that it should be a basic warranty repair so now the task is convincing the dealership to do the replacement under warranty. I received a quote and you're right, just over $3,100 (which broke down to around $2,200 in parts and $900 in labor)

I'll arm myself with this information and hopefully get a resolution, I'll keep you updated,

Thanks again,

- As for Photos - its actually a really difficult area to photograph, from the outside you can't avoid glare and from the inside its hard to maneuver a camera down the the front of the dash to get a good profile shot which shows where the dash has come away from the pad
EnglishVol is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 03-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Default

Great news that CARMAX is stepping up to do the right thing. I agree it is impossible to photograph due to it's location. My dealer had the District Manager examine in person and that seemed to help an immediate approval.

Let us know how it goes and hopefully all will go well and you will have a new dash top.

It took my dealer a full day of work; be sure and pre-check inside your car for any existing damage in case they mess something up; it is a big job.

Hurray!
Dave H is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 09-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Greensboro,NC
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default

I purchased my K900 5/2018 CPO with 42000 miles. I only noticed my dashboard delamination a month after purchase the first time I did a full Detail on my car. After waiting a month for my car to be seen by the regional Kia rep; he approved the repair. Had about a week wait for parts from Atlanta then took my car in for about 1 1/4 days repair of dash and a blown door speaker. So FYI the dash repairs should be done under warranty based on my experience.
ImpBtz is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-20-2018, 03:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpBtz View Post
I purchased my K900 5/2018 CPO with 42000 miles. I only noticed my dashboard delamination a month after purchase the first time I did a full Detail on my car. After waiting a month for my car to be seen by the regional Kia rep; he approved the repair. Had about a week wait for parts from Atlanta then took my car in for about 1 1/4 days repair of dash and a blown door speaker. So FYI the dash repairs should be done under warranty based on my experience.
great news! was your KIA rep named Strickland; an older guy? That's who reviewed mine from my post above last year. Hope everyone pushes KIA when it's obvious a defect or manufacturer is providing goods that don't hold up in regular use. A dashboard these days is built for all kinds of sun exposure; nothing is impervious but these days you just don't see damage to the dash top like on cars from 20 years ago.
Dave H is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome