Just some miscellaneous musings - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-16-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Default Just some miscellaneous musings

I'm sorry that the formal deep blue color was only offered for 2015. I like it.

Is there any difference in the grille on the various years and models? I've read a couple of places there there is, but I swear, I can't see it.

I can tell the 2015 rear from 16/17, though--the '15 has lower chrome strips behind the rear wheels on the sides, but the chrome above the tail lights does not wrap around to the side. On the later ones, the side chrome is gone, but the rear chrome wraps around the corner of the car with the tail light lens.

Sorry, but UVO doesn't make me think of anything but uvula. Is this really the image they're after?

Speaking of which, it appears to me from googling that the K900 is about the only Kia not upgradeable to Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Seems odd--or am I wrong about that?

Is there a pass-thru from the trunk where the rear center armrest is? I've read different things.

What on earth is the Hillstart Assist Control for? It made some sense back in the '50s when Studebaker called it Hill Holder, because so many cars had a manual shift then. I'm old enough to remember sweating takeoff at the top of a hill with a three-on-the-tree. But there ain't no K900s with those! An automatic won't roll back on you anyway. Don't see this at all.

And year-to-year changes--I've been looking for those. (I'm only looking at top-of-the-line examples, so I'm leaving Premiums, etc., out of this discussion.) With regard to the loaded V-8's, the only big thing I can find is the addition of autonomous emergency braking in 2016. Does anybody have experience with this? Is it worth shopping for a '16 for?
post #2 of 4 Old 12-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Don't see any diff in grille from MY15-17. Other than the rear tail lights, the chrome wheel design is slightly diff starting in MY16. MY16 is also the year when top line K900 comes w/ quilted leather.

UVO is neither the best nor the worst infotainment out there. MY16 is touchscreen. MY15 is not. The K9/K900/Quoris models have been out a few years now and Kia is not keen on adding Apple Carplay or Android Auto to an aging model. Gene says they'll be available in MY18 but I don't know if Kia is even bringing MY18 K900 stateside.

No trunk pass thru'.

Never used the Hill Start Assist. Don't even notice that exists. AutoHold is good enough for me.

Generally when buying a used car, you want to opt for the latest MY with the least mileage. I wish my 2015 has autonomous emergency braking. But note that with each passing MY the sales declined precipitously; so it's harder to find MY16 or even 17.

All I say is if you're looking for a blvd cruiser, you can't do any better than a K900 for the feature/dollar, reliability, and yes, exclusivity factor. You can always spend $15-$25k more for a used A8, 7-series, LS, or $30k more for an S-class. Equus is in the same price range as K900 but after owning a car w/ HUD, I won't willingly go back to one w/o.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Have to say after months of zero activity, board discussion is suddenly heating up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-17-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, mdude. I had noticed the quilted leather on the 16s, but had not known about the touchscreen. I'll note that down for consideration.

Yes, I think I'm noticing a pretty good abundance of 2015s on the market, but practically no 2016s. I was assuming it was too early for them to be coming back on the market, but now that we are looking right at 2018, one- and two-year lease units should be showing up.

And you are right--I've seen no 2018s on sale or any literature on them on ebay, so I wonder if there will be any.

I'm pretty well sold on the K900. It's just a matter of running across the right one at the right time. Now, mind you, my car buddies mostly started howling like dogs in the night from the time I mentioned "Kia." One of the, who is a Lexus LS owner, says there's no reason not to get one of those. I mentioned the approximately $20,000 price difference vs. an equivalent K900, which I think is a reason. Another one just basically said, "Anything else. Jeez." Only my mechanic, who's an amateur therapist (I think all the good ones are), said, after I told him I was dreaming about K900's, "F-- it, buy it. There's no other cure." I don't think there is!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page