HUD Display - Kia K900 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-27-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Default HUD Display

Folks, I've a 2014 manufactured MY2015 model w/ VIP and hence HUD.
The owner's manual mentioned the ability of HUD to include speed limits yet that is not one of the available choices on the Heads-up-display content selection.

Any clues?

Thanks.
post #2 of 21 Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

None whatsoever, unfortunately. I've been wondering the very same thing!
post #3 of 21 Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I think you've confused the HUD and the navigation screen. The HUD does NOT display speed limits. The navigation screen does display speed limits (page 3-5 in the 2015 Multimedia Users manual). If you go to kiaowners.com and create an account, there is a link where you can download any Kia owners manual. Then you can use ctrl +F to search. Makes it much easier than trying to thumb through the paper manuals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-28-2018, 12:16 AM

No, I don't think that's exactly it. The main manual, on page 4-116, does illustrate a "road sign" in the information available in the HUD. The illustration looks like a speed limit sign of some sort--although I don't know what a triangle with what looks like a duck's head inside is supposed to indicate.

I wondered if this was something that was accidentally kept in from the Quoris manual and not actually available in the US, but it shows MPH, and I don't think there are many places left besides the US that measure that way.

So I would say the manual doesn't precisely say the HUD can do speed limits, but it implies it really strongly. But there are no instructions for making it happen that I can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeadUpDisplayDiagram.jpg (42.3 KB, 13 views)
post #5 of 21 Old 06-28-2018, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I think you've confused the HUD and the navigation screen. The HUD does NOT display speed limits. The navigation screen does display speed limits (page 3-5 in the 2015 Multimedia Users manual). If you go to kiaowners.com and create an account, there is a link where you can download any Kia owners manual. Then you can use ctrl +F to search. Makes it much easier than trying to thumb through the paper manuals!
the HUD shows the navigation route if it is in use; I rarely use the nav but noticed it does show an abbreviated version within the HUD block. that might then include posted speed limits; don't remember.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-28-2018, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

If you look at that image (page 4-100 in the 2015 manual) the triangle is labeled 2. Road signs. The 90 mph is labeled 3. Speedometer. I'm pretty sure road signs only display when using the navigation, and I'm not certain I've ever seen road signs actually display in my HUD, although I don't use nav often. I actually used the nav on my drive to work this morning just to test, but didn't see any road signs, just directions. My route isn't complicated though, so there might not have been any important signs to show.

Last edited by Zathras; 06-28-2018 at 11:37 AM.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-28-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Folks, thanks for chiming in. Looks like the manual is inaccurate in this regard. The HUD cannot display speed limits.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know the newer HUD can. I drove both the 2018 Stinger and Cadenza at the Atlanta Auto Show and they both displayed the Speed Limit signs in the HUD.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-10-2018, 11:09 PM

Well, I have new news. I just got my nav going with a new chip, and all of a sudden I have signs! Boy, do I have signs.

As I was going along fooling with the nav, I realized all of a sudden that it was showing a speed limit sign, then, I noticed it in the heads-up display, and finally another one just below and to the right of the tach! Three of the things! Kia really wants you to know the limit.

I was able to get good shots of the two on the dash, pasted together below, but getting an image of the heads-up is very hard. (I was stopped at a light when all this was happening, BTW.) In the blurry pic, you can kind of see the speedo registering zero, and the turn-by-turn arrow at left. The speed limit sign is the square just above the speedometer.

As yet, I don't know if it can display any other kind of sign. These went away when I drove into a parking garage, but other than that there seems no way to turn them off. There's a real flaw regarding school zones, too, because when I got close to one, it showed me 15 MPH as the limit--in the middle of the day, in the middle of the summer.

More odd K900 quirks. The thing never bores you, for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TwoSpeedLimitSigns.jpg (168.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SpeedLimitHeadsUp.jpg (47.8 KB, 15 views)
post #10 of 21 Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What year is your K900? Is this update available for all years, or is there a cutoff?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page