How reliable is the K900 - Page 3 - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old 09-27-2018, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I haven't heard of any specific issues other than the headlights. Of course, it is a luxury car and loaded with electronics which can get infected with gremlins (but what car isn't these days?). JD Power and Consumer Reports both rank Kia as one of the most reliable brands, which matches with my experience with my K900. One of the reasons I bought my K900 instead of a used BMW or Mercedes was the reliability factor and the fact that even if something does break, repairs on the K900 will generally be less expensive.

It's a great car with a lot of luxury, power and comfort for your money, as well as anti-snob appeal which makes it kind of fun to drive in an area chock full of BMWs, Lexuses (Lexi?)MBs and Audis.
post #22 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Thumbs up on the anti-snob appeal, Zathras! I love when people say, "That's a Kia?" I had one lady say it was a funny-looking Optima. I had another guy in a Fiat 500 holler over and say, "That's the big one, right?" And I said, "Oh yeah, this is the big one!"

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #23 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a dealership guy ask if “I was there to have my Optima serviced”. Man, it’s painful sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Good to hear. I know with complicated cars any problem is possible but if the headlights are the only known issue, I'm in. I only drive 5-6k miles a year, work from home, so hopefully I won't have any issues.

Hoping to pull trigger in December or early next year, depending on what my accountant says. Looking for a Luxury V8, 50k miles, 2015...shouldn't be hard to find.

My son wants to buy my LS430 from me, which is perfect - big, safe, reliable car for him, and a new one for me.
post #25 of 45 Old 10-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Let us know how it goes khoop. I'm sure everyone here will be interested to know what you end up buying. I do now recall 2 other issues I've seen reported regarding the K900:

1) A number of people have reported vibration and road noise issues with the tires. The OEM Hankook tires that came on the 2015 are not great. While I have not had any vibration issues, in my opinion, the tires really are lackluster at best. Not really an issue with the car though, and easily resolved with some new tires from Michelin, Continental, etc.

2) Some folks have reported flaking/peeling of the chrome finish on the wheels. I personally have not experienced this. I bought my 2015 used with 1600 miles on it and one of the rear wheels had a mild case of curb rash when I bought it. Even with the damage to the finish, there has been no peeling or flaking beyond the original damage.

Both of these issues are pretty minor and I doubt they would keep you from buying a K900, but I thought it best to mention them.
post #26 of 45 Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Yeah - those aren't big issues at all.

Hoping to pull the trigger end of the year. In LA this week traveling so I went to a Carmax just to see a couple 2015 Luxury models and sit inside and hear the stereo (Haven't seen any Luxury 2015's in Nashville where I live). Lexicon system sounded good (I have Mark Levinson system in my LS430 that is amazing) and I liked the interior lighting at dark. I for sure will get a Luxury model, but not sure if I need the VIP package with the HUD and the adaptive Cruise. Thoughts on that?

As a side note, when I told the Carmax guy I was from Nashville he said "I'm commission based and that doesn't help me at all. And was dead serious." Not a great way to lead...
post #27 of 45 Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 PM

I went with the Luxury with VIP. The VIP package includes a lot of nice features:a 16-way adjustable driver's seat with seat cushion extension, power front headrests, power door latches with soft close, Pre-safe seatbelts, Advanced Smart Cruise Control, Advanced Vehicle Safety Management (AVSM), a 12.3” TFT LCD instrument cluster, 4-camera 360 degree Surround View parking system, head-up display (HUD) and the Rear Seat VIP Package which includes heated, ventilated and reclining rear seats.

All ofthese are nice, but I particularly love the HUD and the 360 degree surround view camera. I didn't realize how much I love the HUD until I went back and drove a car that didn't have one for a day. Same with the 360 degree camera. The advanced cruise control works well, but I don't use it much. The back seat features are mostly nice for how amazed the rear seat passengers are when they start playing with the buttons.

Overall, I'd say the VIP package is worth it, especially since it does not seem to add a huge amount to the price on a used K900. The main issue is it reduces your options since it's more rare.

Last edited by Zathras; 10-09-2018 at 04:24 PM.
post #28 of 45 Old 10-10-2018, 02:44 AM

I wondered how useful the HUD was, especially since I probably wouldn't use GPS much on the car itself. What about the HUD is most useful to you?

I can see how the 360 camera would be super helpful, especially for my vertically challenged wife.
post #29 of 45 Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 PM

I like the HUD because it puts the most important info (speed, nav directions, etc.) right in your line of sight so you don't need to take your eyes off the road. It seems like a pretty minor thing, but when I went back to having to constantly glance down at the instruments for a day it was surprising to me how annoying it was.
post #30 of 45 Old 10-11-2018, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I like the HUD because it puts the most important info (speed, nav directions, etc.) right in your line of sight so you don't need to take your eyes off the road. It seems like a pretty minor thing, but when I went back to having to constantly glance down at the instruments for a day it was surprising to me how annoying it was.
I totally agree, the VIP is a must have. For me, the HUD is one of the best features I've enjoyed period. It also has the blind spot warnings, lane markers, plus the speed. I truly would not want my next car without it! All the other features are more appreciated after buying than you might have expected. All the features, comfort, looks, and quality for the price used is amazing. Have had my 2015 two years not a single regret. Get the VIP.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page