How reliable is the K900 - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 08-13-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Default How reliable is the K900

I've been thinking about getting an used 2015 K900. I test drove one and the car feels comfortable and powerful.

Here is my dilemma. I currently lease my car, which is due in November. I will be buying a car this time, instead of leasing and I plan on staying with my "new/pre-owned" car for at least 5 years.
There is not a lot of information/reviews in the internet about the K900. Even this forum, dedicated to k900 owners do not have a lot of new messages. Here is what I was able to find, as far as possible issues:

1) Suspension - Some people have had issues with the suspension to the point of Kia saying that this is how the car was designed. No real solution for it.
2) Tires - This seems to be an easy fix, but apparently the original tires that came with the car were not good. Getting different brand of tires should resolve this.
3) headlights - There is actually a recall about headlights that were turning off when in "AUTO".. it would turn off and on, which could be an issue if driving at night.
4) Parking button - Getting stuck and sometimes requiring the car to be towed in order to be fixed.

Now, this is for short term ownership. My concern is long term - what could happen for cars that reach 80k+ miles. When it's time to do real replacement of engine parts, suspension, breaking..etc.

So, after all of this rambling, I am really looking forward for feedbacks of people that own the car and has had no issue at all, or only minor stuff.. and what are your thoughts about long term ownership.

Thanks!

PL
post #2 of 46 Old 08-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage

Look on KIA web site for certified pre owned CPO K900. You get the full 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.
There will always be problems and issues with any car.
Don't know as people have had a lot of problems with suspension, other than they think it should have a sports car handling.
Tires I put different tires on and worked fine, also improved handling
headlights my switch was changed under warranty, but never had a problem. A few people have had a headlight stop aiming up,
expensive to have KIA replace after warranty but used ones on ebay at good price.
My parking button worked fine, don't think you would want to spill soda or coffee on it, then I'm sure it would stick.
Had mine for 3 years, wish I had purchased it, but leased a Genesis. K900 was just as good, Genesis G90 has better handling
and a few new features.
post #3 of 46 Old 08-13-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gene, if you don't mind me asking - how many miles did you put in your K900 before you turned it in?

For around 25k, I really think there is nothing else out there offering the same level of equipment/comfort, etc.. I am just trying to do some risk management before pulling the trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 08-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage

I did 56,000 miles over three years, no real problems at all.
Great deal for an upscale car.
If KIA had the new K900, one coming out, I would have leased a K900. Had to get new vehicle so got the Genesis G90.
I think the new K900 will be as good as the G90, But just wasn't out.
Also I love the 5.0 V8, and can get that in the Genesis
post #5 of 46 Old 08-17-2018, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm literally in the same boat trying my hardest to find some really solid reason not to get a K900. The problem seems to be that there were not many sold. All the reviews are just the standard "it's great for a Kia" type deal. Not really anything of substance to go on.

I did manage to track down the specific problem/s with the headlights breaking. It seems that setting them to auto could let electrical current build up in the multi function switch that controls the lights, causing them to **** off. On the car I'm looking at this has been fixed twice. The other problem lies with a motor that controls the anlge of the lights automatically. That motor may break from wear and tear or from minor collisions or even potholes it seems. This causes the headlights to drop down torwards the ground at too sharp of an angle to be useful at night and dangerous.

Haven't heard anything about suspension. But I think the hankook tires are awful. On tire rack theyre one of the worst consumer rated tires on there. Which may cause the vibration people were pissed about. I also heard about the parking brake issues. Its definitely an issue with the electronic switch (don't know why this is a thing nowadays) and not the breaks themselves. Also good rubber for this beast is expensive. For me at least. Looks like a full set of tires a full set of good tires can cost 800 freedom bucks. Also the tires are staggered so no rotaring the rear tires that are the drive wheels

This car could be awesome or an expensive issue. But it's so loaded and attractive I don't know if I can pass it up
post #6 of 46 Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I test drove one and it is REALLY comfortable. I think it really might be the perfect car for me for the next few years.

I will try and get a CPO deal...
post #7 of 46 Old 08-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

go for it. almost 2 years owning my 2015 with vip and 23000 miles; not a single regret and no issues at all other than a software issue with the media/cd player. dealer re-mapped the software as a known issue and works great. awesome speakers, too. mine had the light switch recall done and no further issues; for the price today for a low mileage car you just cannot beat the value and luxury; I replaced the tires with Continentals and love them; paid just under 1K from Discount Tire with 60K warranty.
If you aren't bothered by the KIA name, you will truly get a sleeper great car; everyone is impressed as I was and am. I've always been a Lexus guy but this car is better looking and has more options; I really recommend it.
post #8 of 46 Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I can't speak to this too much, as I've only had my car a few weeks. However, it came with Continental tires instead of the Hankooks, and I believe all the 16's and later did.

The problem with the headlights turning off and on seems to be in the switch, which is a recall issue. The local dealer replaced that for me very promptly.

The only real issue I've had is that the front radar sensor acts weird when wet and is probably going to have to be replaced.

At this point, I'm pretty happy with the car overall.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #9 of 46 Old 08-19-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

I have until November to find the right car. I will be looking for a Luxury with VIP pkg, under 36k miles..
post #10 of 46 Old 08-20-2018, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I think that's a good place to start. You will also need to give some thought as to whether you want to shop for a '15 or the somewhat updated '16/'17. There are pluses and minuses either way.

I went through this in detail while I was shopping. I posted up everything I learned here--hope it might help:

https://www.k900forum.com/forum/new-...document-4738/

Keep us posted on your progress. Everybody here is very interested when a member is about to make a purchase!

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page