Having to constantly replace 2015 K900 rear tires - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-05-2021, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Having to constantly replace 2015 K900 rear tires

Anyone else having an issue with having to constantly replace K900 rear tires?

Just wondering if this is a common issue.

I purchased my '15 K900 in June 2019 with 42k miles. The place I bought it from put on 4 new OEM tires. In March 2020, I had to replace the rears. They were pretty bad. Wires sticking out of tires.

Between March-Nov 2020, I worked from home, and maybe put on only 5000 miles, mostly city. In Nov 2020, had to replace the rears again (Wires sticking out of tires). Between Nov 2020 and now (early Feb 2021), I put on, maybe 2000 miles, mostly city. Had to replace the rears AGAIN (both tires balding in the middle of the tire).

This is crazy. I had a tire shop tell me last year this is just how it is with staggered size tires, that some people have to replace tires every few months. I understand the rears in staggered sizes wear faster, but I'm not buying it.

Just now my car was at my trusted shop and I explained the issue and had them look over suspension, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so it's (apparently) not a suspension issue causing the tires to wear out fast. I said maybe the shocks need replacing, but they said no everything looks fine suspension wise.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't even get a few thousand miles before my rear tires go to **** and need replacement? Is this something I have to live with? The thing is, I don't see anyone on these forums complaining about constantly having to replace K900 tires, so that makes me think the whole thing about "staggered sizes might mean you have change rear tires every 2-3 months" is just BS.

I'm seriously considering selling this car now, but I'd hate to have to do that because I love the K900 otherwise. But I can't keep dropping $400-500 every few months to replace the rear tires, I'm getting sick of it.

Thanks!
post #2 of 10 Old 02-05-2021, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

That is defintely not normal. I would HIGHLY recommend getting an alignment, and unless you are installing R comp tires (super soft rubber for extra grip), you should get tons of life out of them. FYI, mine are over 15k on them and show no signs of wear.

2015 K900 Black/Black Base
post #3 of 10 Old 02-05-2021, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboD16 View Post
That is defintely not normal. I would HIGHLY recommend getting an alignment, and unless you are installing R comp tires (super soft rubber for extra grip), you should get tons of life out of them. FYI, mine are over 15k on them and show no signs of wear.
Thanks. I once heard someone say for K900 specifically, due to staggered tire sizes, you should get an alignment every time you replace tires. Do you agree with that advice?

Last edited by pappy97; 02-05-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-11-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboD16 View Post
Thanks. I once heard someone say for K900 specifically, due to staggered tire sizes, you should get an alignment every time you replace tires. Do you agree with that advice?
I definitely would get alignment checked every oil change because that is abnormal wear. Mine front and back had disproportionate wear on the inside edges but that was after over two years of 20k miles/year and needing alignment
post #5 of 10 Old 03-01-2021, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Turns out I needed an alignment, got it done, seems like it is doing better, but we'll see. Kia Dealership said to do alignment every 12,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, but may need to be sooner depending on how rough the roads I drive are (i.e., hitting potholes and what not).

Thanks!!
post #6 of 10 Old 03-03-2021, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Hope you are fixed up on that problem now, pappy97. It does sound unusual.

I'm about to get new tires for mine, and I was not real happy about it at only 20,000 miles. But you made me count my blessings!

The car is about 5 years old now, although I've only had it three, and I'm thinking it's just dry rot--I'm seeing some cracking in the sidewalls and they don't feel real good in the rain anymore.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #7 of 10 Old 03-03-2021, 01:40 PM

I have the same issue with my K900. In my 3 years of ownership, I'm getting new rears about every 6 months. My new solution to this is I'm getting rid of the staggered tires. When this set bites the dust, I'll order 2 front 19" wheels and square the setup. Then I will be able to rotate the tires. Yes I know I'll lose a bit of grip for launching, but who cares when the car is 5,000lbs.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

When I bought my 2015, the tires had maybe half of the tread left. In the past twelve months, I have put 12,000 interstate miles on it and the rear tires are shot, with absolutely no tread left. I will definitely get an alignment, and I am going to probably go to Michelin Primacy tires, as opposed to the Falken tires on it now, as I have previously had two sets that went over 80,000 miles on a Lexus LS450.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-21-2021, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

In 40k miles of driving over 4 years, I've had 1 full set replaced (not out of thin wear but my disgust w/ the OEC Hancook Optimus) w/ Michelin Pilot Spot. In hindsight, didn't have to spring $$ for the Michelins; they're good but there're comparables for 2/3 the money.

The rear got worn down about 20k miles, front still good.

Replaced rear w/ Falken Azenis. Love it. Can't tell any difference w/ having 2 different sets front/rear; though I drive the K900 the way it's designed to be driven (think old lady in Lincoln Towncar).

Even the worst passenger car tires should last >6k miles, so issue has to lie elsewhere. Alignment mostly, as some of you here discover.

With the K900, flat spotting is more prevalent given how heavy the car is. Mine gets driven now and then but can sit a week or more at times w/o being touched.

Incidentally the Hancook turns out to provide the quietest ride, but the worst handling experience (the slightest of wetness can make the car fishtail. I really, really had to drive like an old lady w/ that set).

Last edited by mdude; 03-21-2021 at 09:18 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-14-2021, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The factory Hancook tires on my 2015 K900 were garbage... likely the worst tires I've had on any car; since 1974. After multiple dealer attempts to road-force balance them, remount them, etc. they finally replaced them (after 5,000 teeth-jarring miles) with a new set of Hancooks. The out-of-balance situation was fixed, but those tires (front and rear) wore out before I had 15k miles on the car (10k on the tires). After much research, I replaced them with Continental Extreme Contact DSW 06 front and rear. These are GREAT tires in every regard... especially on wet roads with heavy standing water. So far I have just under 40k miles on them and there is plenty of tread left. When these wear out, I'll likely replace them with the new DSW 06 Plus versions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page