In dispraise of - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Default In dispraise of

I started a thread for stuff I really like a while back, so now I'm starting one for the opposite. I've had the car long enough to have some dislikes.

Ergonomics at the bottom of the center stack--when I'm getting hold of the gearshift, or even more often, reaching for one of the power ports, it's too easy to hit one of row of sound system buttons and make the radio do something weird.

Having to push the brake auto hold button on every trip--somebody else here mentioned this, and I second. Once you turn it on, it should stay on.

(Only slightly related, but I've been surprised to find the heated wheel stays set permanently until turned off. I expected it to reset on ignition-off like the heated seats do.)

The trunk close button on the dash is nearly useless--it won't close if the engine is running, a door is open, or the key is in the car, so the manual says. I just know it never works when I want it to. Maybe not a big deal if you have the fob and can hit the button on that, but I'm only carrying the credit card key.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #2 of 23 Old 10-22-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage

Interesting comment about the trunk open/close button on the dash. It works fine for me when the car is running, as long as the car is in Park.

The button that is giving me trouble is the one right next to it - the fuel door open button. I seem to have to hit it about 5 times before the fuel door will actually open up for me. It gets a little anxious since there is no manual backup way to get that open.

2015 K900 - Black on Black, VIP package
post #3 of 23 Old 10-24-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm just the opposite on that, joelischynski. My fuel door release works great. I particularly like the fact that it pops the fuel door completely open. Every other car I ever had just cracked the door a little, so you had to stick a finger in and pull it open. The way the K900 does it seems more deluxe. (BTW, I've thought the ultimate would be to combine it with Ford's capless fuel system, so you could just push the button and start pumping.)

However, in the 2016 Owner's Manual, on page 4-39, there is a procedure described for opening the door manually in case of failure of the switch, via a manual release in the trunk. I bet the 2015 has it too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've owned a 2015 K900 for 2 months. When I close the doors and listen to that 17 speaker stereo or lay back in those comfortable seats I forget the real world. Even that pillowy ride induces mental ease. Not a care in the world. With 39K on the meter the question is will this bad boy act like a Lexus or will it cringe and become a BMW.
I hope for the former. I wish we had more analytics.... I hope someone with 100K miles will reply back.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-02-2018, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Default Trunk closing issues - you may need to run reset procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Intender View Post
I started a thread for stuff I really like a while back, so now I'm starting one for the opposite. I've had the car long enough to have some dislikes.

Ergonomics at the bottom of the center stack--when I'm getting hold of the gearshift, or even more often, reaching for one of the power ports, it's too easy to hit one of row of sound system buttons and make the radio do something weird.

Having to push the brake auto hold button on every trip--somebody else here mentioned this, and I second. Once you turn it on, it should stay on.

(Only slightly related, but I've been surprised to find the heated wheel stays set permanently until turned off. I expected it to reset on ignition-off like the heated seats do.)

The trunk close button on the dash is nearly useless--it won't close if the engine is running, a door is open, or the key is in the car, so the manual says. I just know it never works when I want it to. Maybe not a big deal if you have the fob and can hit the button on that, but I'm only carrying the credit card key.
Regarding the trunk, have you had to change the battery or have it discharge completely? My battery failed and when I changed it out (it was plenty difficult let me tell you), I found my trunk was out of sequence - in fact it would only partially close then stop with the buttons or key fob. You have to be super careful with the trunk because the closing mechanism is easily damaged - gentle is the operative word. There is a reset procedure in the manual to follow when the battery has been disconnected (and its tedious!) but once performed, the trunk was operating as it should. The procedure seems quite strange but in addition to the trunk, apparently you have to reset the windows and sunroof so their sensors will auto-reverse if they encounter an obstacle to closing - a serious safety concern especially if you have kids! The sound system can be affected as well (mine wasn't). I wonder if even the dealerships are aware of it since they see so few of these cars? I wasn't about to pay $420 for a battery from Kia, so I did it myself - saving $200 - and it was the exact same battery. Its dreadfully heavy, huge, and located underneath the trunk lining. BTW, there is a open button on the right underside of the trunk lid lip (exterior) if you just want to avoid getting the Key fob out - I suspect it would work with the key card on your person as well. You may have to get down there to take a look so you will know its location for future use.

Last edited by tomspoon; 11-02-2018 at 03:29 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-04-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, tomspoon. I read in the manual about that reset procedure--it does sound like a pain! But I haven't had to do anything battery-related, thankfully--it does look like a pain to change.

You are right that the buttons on the trunk lid operate when I have the key card in my pocket, so I can at least get it closed by using those.

BTW, this is certainly not the only car with weird reset procedures. I had a Pontiac where you had to "retrain" the windows to close properly after the battery was out. Don't know why manufacturers do such things!

post #7 of 23 Old 11-23-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Another aggravation--not a huge one, but this thread is for them all.

When I'm comfortably centered in the seat, my head is not centered in the headrest. When I occasionally lean that far back, I can feel it's in the wrong spot. (And there's no lateral adjustment.)

Anybody else noticed? Or is my neck just weird?

post #8 of 23 Old 11-29-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Intender View Post
...The trunk close button on the dash is nearly useless--it won't close if the engine is running, a door is open, or the key is in the car, so the manual says. I just know it never works when I want it to. Maybe not a big deal if you have the fob and can hit the button on that, but I'm only carrying the credit card key.
The statement in the owners manual about not working if the engine is running, door is open, etc. refers to the trunk lock button on the trunk lid itself. That button will close and lock the trunk and all the doors, so it makes sense that you would not want it to work if the key is in the car or the engine is running.

The trunk close lever/button on the dash has to be pushed and held until the trunk is fully closed. When I first tried it I thought it didn't work, as I was just pushing the lever once and not holding it until the trunk closed completely. Are you holding the button until the trunk is closed, or just pushing it and then letting go?
post #9 of 23 Old 12-01-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Aha! Zathras, you are exactly right! Hat tip, etc.!

I wasn't holding the dash switch down. As soon as I read this, I went out and tried holding it down--bingo, the trunk closed. Then I tried releasing it halfway, and the lid stopped halfway. So now I understand the thing, although I don't remember this in the manual anywhere.

This is clearly not a technical thing--they could program it to be one-touch. The power trunk in my Lincoln goes down with just a tap of the inside switch. I'm thinking it must be some legal issue? Don't know what Korean liability laws are like. I did read somewhere that Rolls Royce will not make their self-closing doors self-opening because they are afraid they might damage something or hurt somebody and there would be liability.

Anyway, this shows the value of this board. Nobody can give advice on one of these cars like the owners. Thanks again, Zathras!

post #10 of 23 Old 12-01-2018, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I'm glad I was able to help!

My guess regarding the requirement to hold the switch down is that it's probably a safety/liability thing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page