credit card smart key - Page 4 - Kia K900 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 05-16-2018, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just picked up a 2017 VIP yesterday and can confirm there is no credit card key.
post #32 of 40 Old 05-16-2018, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I was using the key fob until "enlightened" by the brothers on this forum, and has been using the credit card key since. Just becomes another card in the wallet, saves me from lugging another chunk of something around. Unlike the ladies, we don't go around in handbags...
post #33 of 40 Old 06-28-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I think I know the answer, but I want the hive mind here to back me up.

CarMax is trying to tell me that the credit card key is only a valet key and only opens the driver's door, and you have to push it up against the start button to start the car. I'm not sure if they're trying to slide out of getting it working, or if they just don't understand the system (which few people do!).

BS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 06-29-2018, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Carmax is wrong. The credit card key has the same functionality as the regular smart key, just without the buttons. You can open any of the doors or the trunk and start the car, all with it nestled in your wallet. It even has an emergency physical key to open the door if necessary. Odds are it just needs a new battery.

I use it all the time. I only carry the regular key if I know I'm going to want to unlock the doors or open the trunk from a distance for some reason.
post #35 of 40 Old 06-29-2018, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Carmax is wrong. The credit card key has the same functionality as the regular smart key, just without the buttons. You can open any of the doors or the trunk and start the car, all with it nestled in your wallet. It even has an emergency physical key to open the door if necessary. Odds are it just needs a new battery.

I use it all the time. I only carry the regular key if I know I'm going to want to unlock the doors or open the trunk from a distance for some reason.
This is absolutely correct. I still have my credit card remote from my 2015 K900. Problem is, I can't find anybody who will clear the programming or who has the capability to clear the programming so that it can be reprogrammed to another K900.

Click below to view all of the products we carry for the Kia K900:

Kia K900 Product Collection - K5 Optima Store
post #36 of 40 Old 06-29-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

So I thought! Thanks for the confirmation, guys.

The weird thing is, I talked to CarMax again today, and they said they are telling me what the Kia dealer told them. It's a dealer that services K900s, too, because I checked around and found them before I bought the car.

I'll be visiting that dealer to get my headlight switch recall done, so I'll bring up the card key issue too. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.
post #37 of 40 Old 07-21-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Well, the Kia dealer promptly and politely reprogrammed the credit card key for me, no questions asked. They didn't even charge me, which was a surprise. This is supposedly the same dealer that told CarMax the tale above. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm only carrying the credit card key now. Very nice to have another lump gone from my keyring!

However, in the Murphy's Law department, while the dealer was doing my headlight switch recall, they seem to have killed the windshield washer. So I gotta go back.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #38 of 40 Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My 2015 Kia K900 VIP V8 came with a key but it doesnt seem to do anything. I'll have to check the battery. I had put it away and now have to find it :-) What exactly can you do with it?
post #39 of 40 Old 07-29-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

The credit card key does everything the fob does, except there are no buttons on it, so you can't point it at the car from a distance and do anything.

When I have it in my wallet, the car unfolds its mirrors and turns on the puddle lights and I can get in just by pressing the door handle button. It also makes the automatic trunk open when I stand in front of it.

The only thing I'd say against it is that it makes your wallet a little bit thick, and once you get it in there it's hard to get it out. But I love not having the thick fob in my pocket, so I like it very much.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #40 of 40 Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Intender View Post
The credit card key does everything the fob does, except there are no buttons on it, so you can't point it at the car from a distance and do anything.

When I have it in my wallet, the car unfolds its mirrors and turns on the puddle lights and I can get in just by pressing the door handle button. It also makes the automatic trunk open when I stand in front of it.

The only thing I'd say against it is that it makes your wallet a little bit thick, and once you get it in there it's hard to get it out. But I love not having the thick fob in my pocket, so I like it very much.
Thanks for the information K9Intender. I just replaced the battery and it works like a charm and I think its my new go to key :-). When we leased the vehicle the salespeople had no knowledge on what it did and told me it was just a Valet type key that had to be pressed against the push start to start the car. Now with a new battery in it its a wonderful piece of kit!!. Thanks again for the information and video guys.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page