credit card smart key - Page 2 - Kia K900 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I'm glad you were able to get it working! You might want to find a different dealership though. Quoting you $65 to replace a $6 battery seems pretty dodgy to me.

Also, one caveat on the key card; sometimes I have trouble opening the trunk when I'm using the card key. When this happens I need to hold my wallet (that I keep the key in) in the hand I use to press the button to open the trunk. This might be because I have an RFID blocking wallet which may interfere with the key. It only happens occasionally, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Last edited by Zathras; 01-12-2018 at 01:31 PM.
post #12 of 40 Old 01-13-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Very interesting thread--I appreciate all the info. This will help me while I'm shopping.
post #13 of 40 Old 01-14-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Been using the card key for almost a week now. Enjoy the convenience since it's just like another card in the wallet w/o having to lug the fob around. That said, the advantage of a card key is also its downside, in that there are no buttons to remote lock/unlock/open trunk. In all I'll happily push the buttons myself in lieu of carrying the fob. Love it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where can you order a replacement for the card key?
post #15 of 40 Old 01-28-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I've seen these offered on ebay--I imagine you could get one there cheaper than the dealer.

But I don't know how hard they are to program. If anybody here has done that, it would be interesting to hear how you did it.
post #16 of 40 Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have seen them on eBay... the only problem there is you would have to confirm to frequency with you fob.... iirc
post #17 of 40 Old 02-14-2018, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

I have been using nothing but the card key until I accidently ran over it. Now it is dead... I am going to the dealer to purchase a new one. I saved the key to put in the card but they will have to program it with my car. Let's see how much they will charge. I looked it on ebay and saw some used ones.. Non can guarantee it will work so I did not get it.

Driving is FUN !!!
I want my first KIA K900 to be fun too....
post #18 of 40 Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Good luck yangstein. Let us know how much the dealership wants for the new card key.
post #19 of 40 Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdude View Post
My CPO MY'15 V8 VIP came with the smart keycard.

Battery is dead and I've a hard time trying to find a replacement battery -- not even BatteryPlus carries it. It can order online but costs a fortune.

I think my dealer says around $65 if they order it but they said it never works well and discourage their customers from pursuing it, which seems believable as Kia stopped that feature in the latest model year...
They have that battery on line for $8.00 not really hard to fine . Your just talking to the wrong people.
post #20 of 40 Old 03-26-2018, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Default Credit Card Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Good luck yangstein. Let us know how much the dealership wants for the new card key.
Hi,

I had a serious problem with this. I have been using nothing but the credit card key for 2+ years. I broke it by running over it so I needed a new key.
Went to a local dealer and they said they can't touch K900. Only few dealers that are authorized to work on K900 can work on the car. I called the other
dealership, asked if they had the key in stock (In the system they did). I made an appointment and went to the dealer.

Non only didn't they have it in stock, I had to pay out front for the key which was $547.50 including tax. Waited for another few days and they told me
the key was in. I brought my car back to the dealer and paid another $65 to program it. It did not work. The dealer told me I could use it only in emergency
purpose where I could put the credit card key to the ignition button. I said that is when the battery is out but they tried to teach me how to use the key
where I had been using it for 2+ years. So frustrated by 3 people trying to teach me, I decided to leave.

I came home and put a new battery in it, it worked fine... I went back to the dealer and showed them how it works. They could not say anything.

The total for the replacement of the "Credit Card Key" cost me $612.50.

Driving is FUN !!!
I want my first KIA K900 to be fun too....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page