5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-04-2020, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
JCS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Considering a 2020 K900

Hi. Just joined the forum as I recently "discovered" the K900 and I love it. I have been looking to upgrade from my BMW 535 to a full size luxury car. Have looked at all the usual suspects - A8, 750, S- Class, G90, etc. I had researched the K900, but could not drive one as I could not find a dealer nearby who had one (even though I live in Northern NJ). Finally found a car to drive and I think the K900 is great - exactly what I am looking for. I really think KIA should try to sell more of these cars in the US.

In any case, I do have a few questions and concerns. My first concern is how to find the car I want - black with the brown interior and VIP package. I did a search on the KIA website, but could not find a single one. Some dealers I called near me say they don't even sell the K900. Assume I would just have to order one and wait?

My second concern is the rarity of this car. I have read on this forum that the dealers are not adept at servicing the car? However, the Telluride and Stinger and fairly advanced machines, so I would think they could service a K900 as well?

My last concern is depreciation, but I guess that is true of any new luxury car. I do think it will be even worse with this car since it is not known and probably does not have much resale value.

Thanks for your input.
post #2 of 26 Old 03-04-2020, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Probably the biggest letdown you'll get is the "people" part of dealer service. Kia dealers don't yet understand what class of service is needed in the K900/Cadenza class. It's likely not a technical issue - they can work on them fine, you just won't get the level of personal attention you would in a BMW dealership. I'm sure it's changing, but it's a new area for them.

On the flipside, you won't have to pay BMW prices for service, and you likely won't be needing service nearly as often. Just find yourself a good non-dealer service center and you'll likely be happier.

Even with Genesis, they're still serviced at Hyundai service centers. They're working up to a classier service experience, but probably still not what you'd get at typical luxury car dealers.

The K900 is a great under-the-radar luxury car. No premium branding, just premium driving experience. Stealth luxury.

I don't think Kia advertises the K900 or Cadenza at all, so those that find them are usually moving up from something mass-market, like an Optima, then find the make up-market cars too.

Depreciation has been a killer on Kia's luxury cars. Nobody knows about them, so demand in the used market is low, depressing prices.

I think awareness growing, due to the popularity of the Stinger and the Genesis line, so depreciation will be less of an issue in a few years.

I bought my '14 Cadenza SX-L for less than half its original price at 4 years old. Its value continued to drop quicker than I had hoped, but it is slowing.

If you buy to own and drive it for several years, just ignore the depreciation and enjoy a fine luxury car. If you usually trade in after a year or two, depreciation might hurt a bit on trade-in.

'14 Cadenza, '16 Sedona
post #3 of 26 Old 03-04-2020, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

There are still a few 2019 out there that probably have great deals. Since Kia didn't change anything you are not missing anything by getting a 2020 (except a year of ownership). The K900 is an exceptionally slow selling car and dealers are not exactly chomping at the bit to have one on their lot. If they have an actually customer they will probably be willing to acquire one from another dealer if they or you can find it. When I got mine, my dealer trade to another dealer a couple of hundred miles away and made my salesman go get it.

Since you are coming from a German brand the dealership and service experience will be shockingly bad, so brace yourself. I came from a Lexus. and it was a adjustment . Their were a few thing out of wrong that I fixed my self by stalking the Telluride and Stinger forums. Nothing major . Luckily enough, I only have to visit the dealership for the free oil change and tire rotation.

When I left Lexus, I wrote my Lexus folks a review and some comment. Some of them were curious and thought I had lost my mind. Feel free to take a read. I left it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-my-gs350.html

The depreciation will be a thing, I expected it going in however, I didn't see any more major tech on the horizon to leap frog the K900 for the next few years so I jumped in. In 4 years hopefully electrification will have taken off and I can switch. In the mean time it is a great ride and I have never seen another one in the year I have been driving it. Unicorn is an understatement.

Last edited by promethus7; 03-04-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-04-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
JCS

Thanks for the responses. I did just find a new 2019 with VIP for less than $50k! - an amazing price. That makes me feel much better about taking the depreciation hit. Problem is it is 600 miles away. Could be time for a road trip! Just waiting to see how much they will give me for my f10 BMW.

I really do think this is the perfect car for me. I have two 14 year old kids and the f10 back seat leg room is poor - especially for a "mid-sized" sedan. Also want to upgrade the infotainment from what is essentially a 2011 system to the modern system in the K900. The more gadgets the better for me. We also have a Hyundai Palisade and the lane following technology in the vehicle is amazing. Appears it is the same system in the K900. I drove a CPO 2017 740 BMW and the system was crap. Even on clearly marked roads it would not follow the lanes for more than a few seconds. Pretty much unusable.

Promethus7, you said in your review of the K900 on the Lexus boards that you are not crazy about the Lexicon system. I had one in a 2009 Genesis and I think was the best car audio system I have ever heard. I did not have much time with it in the K900, but it certainly sounded very good.

I also drove the new G90 and while I like the unique styling, I think it is a little to gangster looking for us and I don't think the interior is nearly as nice as the K900. I also don't need a car that long - the K900 is the perfect size for me.

Regarding the dealer experience, I had a Honda Odyssey when the kids were little, so I think I am prepared for that kind of experience. As long as they know how to fix it, then I can handle the rest. As you said, I hope not to have to see them very often anyway.

Finally, I have a fantasy that this version of the K900 will be some kind of collector car 10 years from now. Given what a great car it is and how few of them there are in the US....
post #5 of 26 Old 03-04-2020, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Yes, JCS, only certain designated dealers are allowed to service and sell the K900. Or maybe forced is a better word? :-)

I have to say, the folks at the one I go to are polite and helpful and I've never had the feeling they are trying to rip me off. I value all that a lot more than gourmet coffee in the waiting room, etc., so I rate my dealer experience very well.

Rarity and depreciation are just facts of life with this car--you're joining the unicorn club! If the depreciation really bothers you, I'd say shop used and make it work for you rather than against you.

I'm quite satisfied with my '16, but I'd easily admit, they are not for everybody. If you really feel it's for you, just persist until the right one comes along.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #6 of 26 Old 03-05-2020, 06:22 AM

JCS, Yeah the Lexicon system is just alright in my opinion. The staging is great however you can clearly hear where they cut the frequency at. I attached an after market sub that I already had to see if that would fix the problem and it did not, it seems that the same frequencies are missing. All in all, defiantly not a deal breaker and it has started to sound better over time (I know that is just my ears compensating). Since there is no CD player, I can throw in a CD and see if it is a source issue. The only other complaints I have about the car are that the OEM tires are crap in snow (no surprise there), and the no auto start on the remote is a hassle. I'm sure I will soon have the same complaints if my Telluride ever get here (coming up on 6 months on the waiting list)

I also had 2 kids in the back of my Lexus GS and I got tired of them kicking the back of my chair and fighting to not ride in the back. That is a non-issue now. If I had to do it all over again, I would without doubt. Make the 600 mile trip, you will not be disappointed. If you come in from out of town "some" dealers will reimburse your hotel . SOME not most :-)
post #7 of 26 Old 03-05-2020, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
JCS

One more question. I am making a list of the features of the K900 vs. my BMW. Clearly the Kia has many more, but one thing we like about the BMW is the proximity sensor for the driver's seat. As you approach the car, the driver's seat will adjust to the setting of the key that is in your pocket. This happens before you unlock the car or touch the door handle. Does the K900 have a similar feature? Thanks.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-05-2020, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

I got better service with my KIA K900 than I do with the Genesis G90 ultimate. I'd buy the K900 before another Genesis
Kia-Driver likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-05-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCS View Post
One more question. I am making a list of the features of the K900 vs. my BMW. Clearly the Kia has many more, but one thing we like about the BMW is the proximity sensor for the driver's seat. As you approach the car, the driver's seat will adjust to the setting of the key that is in your pocket. This happens before you unlock the car or touch the door handle. Does the K900 have a similar feature? Thanks.
Don't know. I Have only used the one key and my wife is scared to drive it because she doesn't like "big" cars..
post #10 of 26 Old 03-07-2020, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Did you get the car in Cincinnati? I called today on it and it’s sold!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page