Kia K900 Forum

Kia K900 Forum (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/)
-   New 2013+ K900 General Discussion Forum (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/new-2013-k900-general-discussion-forum-9/)
-   -   Compare Shifters Cable vs Drive by wire, which is best (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/new-2013-k900-general-discussion-forum-9/compare-shifters-cable-vs-drive-wire-best-5479/)

The Ikon 07-15-2020 11:53 PM

Hey does anyone here have the regular drive by cable gear shifter on their car and how does it perform vs the drive by wire shifter on a 2015 K900?
Is it a deal breaker on the car? If I don’t score on the VIP package car there’s a cpo car with the “base” level options that pretty reasonable bit it has the Regular shifter?

Regards

Ikon

The Ikon 07-17-2020 01:47 PM

Anyone?

cebk900 07-18-2020 05:52 PM

I have a 2020 Vip with the shift by wire. I like the shift by wire because it allows you to have paddle shifters which I much prefer over the cable shifter.

The Ikon 07-20-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micrandra (Post 26531)
I have a 2015 K900 Premium built in March of 2015. It has the shift by wire, as well as the wood trim, and a less popular beige / brown two tone interior (I like it). I'll bet if you keep looking, you could find a similarly equipped Premium, if you don't score a VIP.

I prefer the shift by wire over the cable shifter.

I wonder how it drives with the cable? Have you had any issues with the drive by wire shifter or anything? I’ve read mixed reviews on it on other makes but not on the K900.

I like your exterior and interior color combo! I found a premium in Utah with the white on white at a dealer but they are asking VIP prices for a premium...

Dealer prices are getting high as heck since the pandemic and lower new car production making used cars prices spike but what’s going to happen is once the market normalizes all the people that over paid are going to get killed once it’s time sell or trade in a couple years(seriously upside down!)...

Hey do you have pics of your car posted here?!

The Ikon 07-20-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cebk900 (Post 26533)
I have a 2020 Vip with the shift by wire. I like the shift by wire because it allows you to have paddle shifters which I much prefer over the cable shifter.

I Luv the 2020...!!! Unfortunately the paddle shifters weren’t available in 2015. I think I’m correct...

cebk900 07-20-2020 05:55 PM

I prefer the paddle shifters because it allows you to keep both hands on the wheel when you want to tackle going up or down a hill or grade.

K9Intender 07-23-2020 10:36 PM

Yes, The Ikon, paddle shifters only came along in '16. I have them, but only use them going down mountains.

As far as the shift-by-wire thing, I don't have anything really to say against it. It works. My only real beef is not exactly due to the technology, but the design--it's really had to undo a lifetime's experience and remember that Reverse is pushing the lever AWAY from you. I still occasionally absent-mindedly pull it backwards, which doesn't work.

The Ikon 07-29-2020 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9Intender (Post 26553)
Yes, The Ikon, I still occasionally absent-mindedly pull it backwards, which doesn't work.

Lol!!! Yes in my brothers BMW 7 he had for a few yrs, it was quirky at first for him too... just picked a XJL 5.0 V8 supercharged beast and it has the rotary knob shifter...

**** I may need to get the basic shifter to stay classic! But the vip package comes with DBW