LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-29-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Default Clunk from rear suspension -solved

Hi guys and gals,

when I test drove my 2016 K900 last week I noticed some clunking or rattling in the back. It sounded like something loose in the trunk.

It only happened over certain bumps.

Now that I've had it for a few hundred miles and have checked for everything that could possibly rattle or clunk I have a suspicion that there may be something loose related to the struts in the back.

I noticed in the CPO listing from Carfax they had replaced one tire and in their description rear strut inserts.

It mainly clunks on the driver side, but occasionally passenger side. It has to do with a short term vertical change in height, or accelerating from a stop and turning at the same time.

Generally a bumpy road doesn't create the problem. Unless abrupt change in vertical height. A couple inches will do it.

Before I drive the hour and 1/2 back to the dealer where I purchased it I'd like to get little input.

Any of you ever experienced this?

Thanks for any reply.

Bruce
Semper Fi

Last edited by Dr.W; 05-27-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: problem solved
post #2 of 12 Old 05-02-2019, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I'm thinking hard, and I don't think so. On rough pavement, I do think this car is a little rougher and noisier than it should be for its class, but I find that true all around, not just in the back.

Let us know what you find out.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #3 of 12 Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Again, thanks for the reply.

I've been able to isolate the noise and now can demonstrated at will.

I know with the multi-link rear suspension there could be any number of possible explanations.

But I think it is related to shock tower mounts.

It sounds like it's coming from the upper trunk area.

The suspension takes a set in relationship to the body.

When there is an inertial change there's a clunk.

Driving through an empty parking lot at 3 to 10 mph a quick turn to the left will cause a clunk. A second quick turn to the left does nothing. A quick turn to the right causes another clunk. And another click turn to the right does nothing. But then a quick turn to the left causes another clunk.

I have an appointment at the dealer in Waco Tuesday morning. We'll see if they can find it and solve it after I demonstrated for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-03-2019, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

If you have a GoPro with a magnetic mount, you can place it in the wheel well or trunk, and position it so you can record video of the suspect component.

2015 Kia Prem. Black w/Brown & Beige Interior. Built Mar/2015
post #5 of 12 Old 05-05-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for that idea.

I don't have a gopro.

Although the noise is in the trunk there's nothing that could be seen from within the trunk.

We Will find out how good of a diagnostician I am but I believe it is the upper shock mounts.

It be pretty tough to get a gopro up there under the chassis. And I don't think there's enough movement that it it would be visible. Just enough to make a clunk.

Tuesday I'm going back to the dealer, about an hour and 1/2 drive, for them to check it out. If it is what I think it's unlikely they will have the part. They don't seem to have K900s in their inventory and they've only sold four CPOs in the last six months. So that's the bad news.

But there's good news!

If it is what I think, it's the same part used in all of the 2009 through 2014 Genesis sedans and the 2012 and 2013 Equus. There is a Hyundai dealer in the same town that will probably stock that item.

I'll update you on what we finally find an what the solution is.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

Sure sounds like something came loose or got stuck down in some where. That is why it clunks to the left then not again till you turn right. Could be anything from a nut to some thing got pushed in the side of the back seat by a child.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

YES - I am experiencing that as well.

Not consistently, but sounds like something loose in the trunk. Please keep us posted...

- Kent
post #8 of 12 Old 05-07-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Kent, et al,

well apparently I'm not quite as good a diagnostician as I thought.

That's partially because I can't sit in the backseat while I'm driving

I took a tech out with me, in the passenger seat, and showed him how to re-create the noise.

He agreed that it sound like was coming from the trunk.

But then they took a couple of additional test drives with somebody sitting in the back.

It appears it's coming from the sun roof. And it doesn't matter if it's open or closed.

So they need to pull down the headliner and find out if there's something rattling around back there that needs to be taken out or whether something is loose or whether something is broken.

Unfortunately I don't have time to do that now because Friday were taking a road trip to visit a terminally ill family member.

So when I get back I will leave the car with them and they will figure it out.

By the way, I bought this CPO from University Kia in Waco. They have been wonderful and continue to be so.

I think their customer support is exemplary.

Bruce
post #9 of 12 Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I took mine in and the dealer thought it was coming from the trunk, but they didn't have time to spend enough time to narrow it down - but they heard it and documented it. When I can be without my K900 for a bit, they will take it back to see what they can find.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Understand not being able to leave the car. Just had to take a 2000 round trip to Tucson Arizona.

I'm taking the car back to the dealer on Tuesday. They'll sort it all out then and I have total faith in their ability to do so.

Let you know what they find and how they correct it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page