• 1 Post By K9Intender
  • 2 Post By Z163324

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2021, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Buying advice

Hi guys. New here. Not an owner yet. But considering purchasing one. I know you guys probably get tired of seeing these forum posts but this is honestly the best place for advice. Its a 2015 K900. Its in excellent condition. No accidents or frame damage. It has 102,045 miles on it. Carfax says its had 3 owners with the first leasing it. It also has the VIP package. Dealer is asking $16,249.
post #2 of 9 Old 02-18-2021, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Welcome! You are now at the point I was about three years ago.

I'm going to start by tooting my own horn a little--I made up a buyer's guide for the first generation models and it's here:

https://www.k900forum.com/forum/new-...document-4738/

I recommend looking it over to be sure you understand what equipment is and is not on the 2015.

I don't believe we have a lot of experience here with high-mileage examples. I've only got 18,000 on mine. Maybe somebody else can address that? So I can't quite say how everything holds up.

In general, I'm assuming you'll do the usual things--crawl under, listen to engine, check tires, etc. Inside, you'll want to push all the buttons (that will take a while) to verify that everything works. Two points that some owners have noted in threads here are chrome peeling off wheels and problems with the swiveling headlights, so you may want to zero in on those.

Three owners in about six years does concern me a little bit. The first one, who leased, clearly kept it until the lease was out, so that doesn't bother me. But I wonder why numbers two and three were not inclined to keep it long term? They must have had a reason.

As regards service, be aware that not all Kia dealers are certified for K900 service, so be sure you have one within reasonable distance. The car is somewhat eccentric, and not every independent garage may want to take one on.

The price seems OK, but with plenty of room to bargain. These cars do depreciate fast, and tend to sit on the lot for a good while. Both those are factors in your favor.

Let us know what you decide!

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #3 of 9 Old 02-19-2021, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

If it was me, I'd find a lower mileage example. There are a lot available still in the 50-60k range. Mine is a 2015 VIP model with 48K. I work at home so it doesn't get a lot of use. I've only put 4K on mine in the past year.

I love driving the car with the 5.0L engine. The main reason I haven't upgraded to a 2019/20 is because of the lack of the 5.0 V8. I'm keeping mine until I'm ready for a G90 with the 5.0 V8

RMartin
Dallas, TX
2015 K900 VIP Titanium Bronze over White interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-19-2021, 05:25 PM

I have had my K900 V8 VIP for three years in April or May. I bought it used with 30,000 miles from Carmax and as of today I have about 104,000 miles on it. Knock on wood mechanically the car has been sound, but the electronics are what will bankrupt you with this car without a warranty. I have a bumper to bumper extended warranty until 125,000 miles. I paid $2,000 for it. So far it has paid out over $14,000 in claims.

The headlights move when you turn the steering which sounds great right? So you have sealed headlights with plastic mechanical parts that move and you cannot repair them. Both have failed and each headlight costs $4,000 with $1,000 labor to replace them. You have to wait for them to be shipped here from Korea.

The next failure was the lane departure warning system camera failed and had to be replaced. That was $4,000 since they had to rip out the entire dash and headliner to replace the camera which also had to be shipped in from Korea.

What will fail next on my car is the power trunk. About 1/10 it will not open or stop opening; or stop closing or refuse to close. I'm sure that will be another $3,000-$5,000 in repairs.

The reason why I'm typing all of this is that I think I might have one of the highest mileage K900s that are posted on here and I really want you to know what you are getting into. It might seem like I hate the car, but I actually don't. I really enjoy it, great size, awesome on road trips, and still lets you keep an honest V8 in the world.

The service advisors at my dealer and I joke around about the suckers who are the 3rd, 4th, 5th owner because God help their pocketbooks. If you do continue on this path, do it with open eyes, a fat wallet, or the third option do what I'm doing; rocking the warranty until it expires, then buying a rear end collision K900 off Copart for a parts car and stripping the expensive bits off for when they inevitably fail.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Edit: If you're still going to buy one, for the love of God get GAP insurance on it.

Last edited by Z163324; 02-19-2021 at 06:13 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-19-2021, 06:36 PM

Wow. Z153324! Thanks for the info. That's quite a list. Hope it will help out the newbies deciding what/if to buy.

For the rest of us, though, it's almost like you're a time traveler come back from 2031 or so to tell us what's going to happen to our cars. Scary!

post #6 of 9 Old 03-01-2021, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm like Z, I bought my '15 K900 VIP from Carmax with Maxcare too (At the time, 42k miles in 2019). K900 is a car that if you buy used, buying from Carmax and getting their Maxcare extended warranty is so worth it.

For me, I'm 100% selling my K900 once the Maxcare expires. I too purchased the warranty to 125k miles, so it will expire in summer of 2024 or 125k, whichever comes first, right now I'm at 69k miles and will probably hit summer 2024 before I hit 125k miles. Repair costs will just be too crazy to justify owning it anymore without any warranty protection.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2021, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Is the KIA 10 year warranty only honored for the original owner?
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2021, 01:25 AM

Yes, I checked with Kia before I bought, and the 10-year is only for the original owner, but the five year part will transfer.
K900 Pilot likes this.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2021, 02:48 PM

From what I've seen/experienced if you don't have minimum $4,000 cash for drop of the hat repairs do not buy this car. Another example from my service advisor was a guy bought one from Texas drove it home and on the way home his seat kept pushing him towards the steering wheel. They had to order another lower portion of the seat. There was only one in the whole US. $6800. For a seat. Just let that sink in.

I know many people here do not drive the number of miles I do in a year which is 20-30k a year. This car is great, but to a point it will be totaled out for normal people. I'm driving this thing until either the engine or transmission gives out.

Oh top tip, for the love of God change your transmission fluid if you've hit 50,000 miles. Sure they say its sealed for life. Bullshit, my advisor let me see the oil coming out and I really wish I didn't wait until 100,000. Car shifts like it use to back when it only had 30,000 on it. Also its cheap only $100. Also DIY your own rear differential oil. Took me 30 mins and $30 to do it myself.
Dave H and K900 Pilot like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page