Binding Steering - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-21-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Default Binding Steering

Has anyone else noticed sticky or binding steering? At first it was intermittent but now I am noticing more often. I am hesitant to take it to the dealer because it completely random when it happens (so hard to duplicate for the dealer) and my local dealer has already proven they are nervous to handle my car. It happens more at highway speeds. The best way I can describe it is it feels like despite being disabled, the lane keep assist is randomly being triggered and adding resistance to the steering. In long sweepers on the freeway when you have he wheel slightly turned, if you release wheel it does not return to cent instead it continues the turn until you force it the other direction. Problem is the resistance is uneven so overcorrection is possible. Also it can be left/right jerky sometimes>
post #2 of 12 Old 06-21-2019, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

The lane keep assist plots a course and wants to follow it. If you try to drive to close to the white line or to far away from center it will try to keep you on it's path.
Don't get me wrong this is only assist not lane keep. Turn lane keep assist off and see if it still does it. Also I've noticed if the line is gone like at a turn off ( exit ramp)
the car will try to center it self, and pull to the side. System is far from perfect.
The new 2020 models are to have the second generation of the lane keep assist, might be better

Last edited by Gene; 06-21-2019 at 09:58 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The lane keep assist plots a course and wants to follow it. If you try to drive to close to the white line or to far away from center it will try to keep you on it's path.
Don't get me wrong this is only assist not lane keep. Turn lane keep assist off and see if it still does it. Also I've noticed if the line is gone like at a turn off ( exit ramp)
the car will try to center it self, and pull to the side. System is far from perfect.
The new 2020 models are to have the second generation of the lane keep assist, might be better
That was the first thing I turned off when I got the car. it just seems like it turn on for second then back off. then again, may be time for a power steering pump after only 4k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Time to take it to a dealership, It has an electronic assist steering not a regular hydraulic assist like the older cars.
Maybe just the clock spring or a bad connection in the steering.
How many miles on the car?
Is it still under warranty?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Time to take it to a dealership, It has an electronic assist steering not a regular hydraulic assist like the older cars.
Maybe just the clock spring or a bad connection in the steering.
How many miles on the car?
Is it still under warranty?
Yea, only 4k miles. all electronic "gremlins" that keep popping up in this car are starting to make me wonder if it was "half baked" when they released it.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Dealership will tell you , We can't duplicate.
Unless they can see it they don't believe us
I had to video record several things in my car so they would believe me.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-23-2019, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I haven't noticed any steering issues, fortunately.

But I think you are slightly wrong about the lane keeping thing, Gene. My understanding is that the K (1st gen) has lane departure warning, but not actual lane keep assist. I think it just beeps and flashes at you when you get over the line, but cannot access the steering to actually push you back like some models can.

This certainly seems to be the way mine works.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #8 of 12 Old 06-23-2019, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

K9
I think you may be right. It's our Genesis G90 that does the lane keep. Was thinking the K900 did also.
Sorry about that
I am right about what the dealership will say. They are all following KIA instructions, So can't blame the dealer
post #9 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My Cadenza did the same thing when I first bought it. It seemed to have a sticky spot that I thought maybe was a lack of lubrication in the steering assembly.

It seemed to happen mostly on the highway, after keeping the wheel stationary for a few seconds it would then stick. Once I overcame the friction of the sticking, it would be fine, until the next time I held it stationary. It was annoying.

I took it to my local mechanic, and he checked a few things. He thought it might be the little gear on the steering column that triggers the electric power steering. I told him I didn't think it was that.

Anyway, not long after that, it mysteriously disappeared. I don't know if he lubed anything in the steering assembly, but it's just gone. I'm happy it's gone, but I'll have to ask next time I see him if he lubed something to make it disappear.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

My "guess" is that I am experiencing some sort of resistance or binding that is inherent within the servos or gears that enable the car turn the wheel during LKA activation. As expected, when I took it to the dealership I got the "we don't know"/ "we couldn't find it" answer as I get with everything with the car. Right now it is a nuisance item that I have learned to drive with. I suspect that near the end of the warranty I will be on the phone arguing with KIA about them paying to replace a failed steering component that I ID'd as defective years ago. Time will tell

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page