Auto-dimming? - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Default Auto-dimming?

I was just thinking--in spite of all the tech on the K900, I can't find any mention of auto-dimming headlights. Am I correct that this is something they left out? Seems strange if so.
post #2 of 6 Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

they don't dim automatically from hi beams to lo beams if that's what you are asking. I haven't seen that feature on cars in decades. the K900 lights on VIP are led, they swivel with steering wheel turns up to 45 MPH, and they have auto timed off function. no auto dimming that I am aware of.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

Not on the K900,Genesis G90 has them.
Seems the Hyundai brand is always one step ahead of KIA
KIA still has the best outside design and looks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. I've learned quite a bit about those elaborate swiveling headlights, but I figured if they had auto-dim I would have seen a mention of it somewhere.

That's a feature that's gone up and down in fashion since GM introduced the Autronic Eye in the 50's. It quickly spread to Lincoln and Imperial and then gradually down to the cheaper cars; I have seen a Cougar with it. But then it just started vanishing--Lincoln took it off the Town Car in '93. However, I understand it's recently come back on the newer Lincolns, and I have a friend who's into Bimmers and he says they've always had it in the 7 series. Interesting to hear that Hyundai has it now, Gene.

You know what else has vanished? Cornering lights. I wonder why?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

They don't want you to see what is around the next corner these days.
My new car has auto dimming, auto leveling and headlights swivel towards the turn
you are making. Several cars have those.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Wink

Happy New Year to all.

1) Auto-dimming is rendered somewhat useless with auto-leveling headlights as you've in many cars today w/ LED or HID headlamps; including the K900; unless there is a preference to switch to hi-beam when there is no on-coming traffic.
2) BMW 7-series don't always have auto-dimming feature, not on the E38.
3) I've found there is no one car that has all the tech do-dahs one would want unless you're into the current generation S-class, BMW 7s and the upcoming A8. Beyond auto-start/stop, blind-spot-warning, radar-cruise and panic-stop, cross-traffic-alert... which are becoming mass market, if you clamor for the latest in driver-less technology, self-parking, multi-function keyfob or cellphone app replacing the key, messaging seats, infra-red proj into HUD showing objects on the road beyond the headlamp range (or even laser headlamps which sadly the US DOT does not allow), auto-tilting of the car upwards on side impact (see the A8 features on youtube), etc etc; you'll have to swing around $100k for the aforementioned Benz/BMW/Audi.

Morals of story: tech is going 1000 miles an hour and the only way to catch up is to lease a top end Euro sedan every 2-3 years (preferably 2 than 3 ), or do as Steve Jobs once did, switch to a diff Merc every 6 mos (he did the SL)...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page