2019 K900 battery drain problem - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default 2019 K900 battery drain problem

Purchased a new 2019 K900 in December. The battery slowly drains and dealer and Tech-Line can not find the problem. Drive the car an average of 20 miles per day. I can tell when the battery is below 70% charge because the start/stop system and the coasting options stop working.
Once the dealer charges the battery, both systems start working again.
Dealer has checked for parasitic draw, charging system, and battery. All OK.
Just curious if any others have experienced this problem.
post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2019, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I believe Bob Johnston also had this problem. Not sure if he ever got it fixed. Take a look around post #135 in this thread: https://www.k900forum.com/forum/new-...9/index14.html
post #3 of 8 Old 10-22-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So just experienced a strange issue. The car has been parked in the garage since Tuesday (3 days) and my wife went to start it this morning and it had trouble starting (slow to start). When it started it was running a bit rough. She called me out into the garage and told me it flashed a message on the cluster "Battery discharge due to external devices". Now the only thing plugged in to the car was just the Belkin USB cable to the front USB slot adjacent to the wireless charger with no device attached. I wouldn't think that the cable, by itself, would produce any sort of load on the car with or without the ignition or acc on. I know the cable has a small 56k ohm pull up resistor built-in but I'm not aware that the USB would have power while the car's ignition is off. Have either of you experienced this issue?

This is exactly what my car did "battery discharge due to external devices".
After a few days of viewing this and it would immediately go off the screen.
I went to the car one morning and it was completely dead. No dash lights, nothing. Like there wasn't even a battery in the car. I couldn't even pop the trunk lid. Towed the car to the dealer and they finally replaced the fuse block. I thought this did the trick but a couple months later I noticed the start/stop system wouldn't work or coasting would not work. Back to the dealer and found the battery level below 70% charge. The software will not allow start/stop below this charge level. After charging the battery back up, everything works fine. Dealer can't figure it out. Car has been back for numerous testing but still no solution. I drive about 20 miles per day.
They are saying that may not be enough to keep the battery properly charged. I don't agree with this. Any input from others with the new 2019 k900 would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2020, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our K900 is one and a half years old and it has never been right. If it sits for more than 4 days the battery drains totally. Deader than a cat in the road. Been towed to the dealer many times and they can not figure it out. Do not buy one of these cars, they have a problem that no one seems able to figure out!
post #5 of 8 Old 04-26-2020, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I'm skeptical of the mileage thing, Scholar. My normal work round trip is about 16 miles daily, with a little more if I go get gas or groceries after work. But I have another, older, car too, and I switch off weekly.

16+ miles daily keeps them both charged perfectly fine normally. The only issue I ever had was with the old car, and its battery was just getting old and weak. A new battery fixed it right up.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #6 of 8 Old 11-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Hi Scholar,
Did you ever get this resolved?

After 20 months with no problems since I reported that issue in the other thread, my battery went dead last night in the garage after being parked for only 2 days. My wife last drove it Thursday and she said did see the dreaded "battery discharge due to external devices" when she started it at home Thursday morning at 7:45AM. The car started okay and she drove it to work. The car started for her fine at 5:10pm Thursday and she drove home and parked it in the garage at 4:50pm and locked it.

We were going to use it for a local trip at 3pm Saturday and I couldn't unlock the door with the fob or the handle button. I had to pop the handle cover off and use the manual key. No lights came on, no chime, no cluster... the battery appeared dead. I didn't have time to mess with it then and we used another car of ours for our trip.

When I got home at 9:30 I popped the hood and measured the battery voltage at the access terminals with a DMM and it was at 4.4 volts. Knowing that the car is in the garage and that I could not even open the trunk manually (latch releases with key, but is resistant to open against the dead motor) , I applied a 6 amp charge from a trickle charger. By 12:15am (~3 hours I was up to 10.9v). I unplugged the charger and went to bed. Woke up at 6:30am this morning and checked. The battery dropped 1v down to 9.8v in just 6 hours. It's now back on the charger and now a little over 12v.

Knowing that the car is almost 2 years old and has 17k miles on it and has had a previous battery drain incident I suspect the battery is failing. I'm going to get it started to take it out of the garage. I'll call KIA service and get an appointment to my dealer to replace the battery and check the electrical system.

2019 K900 VIP trim
Deep Chroma Blue exterior | Sienna Brown interior
post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2020, 11:13 PM

Sorry you are having troubles, Bob. I do think two years is a very short time for a battery to last.

In fact, this thread popping up today was kind of an example of synchronicity for me. My car is about 4 years old now, and I was just wondering when I should get a new battery.

That's because in my driving life I've never had a battery make it to five years. Even the old Diehards with the five-year warranty never did. I think I got as close as four years and ten months once.

I'm not currently having any issues at all, but I'd prefer to replace the thing before rather than after it goes dead.

So, leaving aside unusual situations like Bob's, what is everybody seeing as far as battery life on these cars?

post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2020, 11:20 PM

Sorry you are having troubles, Bob. I do think two years is a very short time for a battery to last.

In fact, this thread popping up today was kind of an example of synchronicity for me. My car is about 4 years old now, and I was just wondering when I should get a new battery.

That's because in my driving life I've never had a battery make it to five years. Even the old Diehards with the five-year warranty never did. I think I got as close as four years and ten months once.

I'm not currently having any issues at all, but I'd prefer to replace the thing before rather than after it goes dead.

So, leaving aside unusual situations like Bob's, what is everybody seeing as far as battery life on these cars?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page