2019 K900 @ the car show - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-23-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Default 2019 K900 @ the car show

I went to the auto show in Phoenix today and sat in the new 2019 K900.

Drivers seat - I realize it is a new car with new seats, but i couldn’t find a real comfortable position. They did have the power enabled, so was able to move it around in all directions. Also still not convinced of that new “out of dash” center display screen. I prefer the in dash screen. Then when I had the drivers seat set for where I would have it for normal driving, the back seat did NOT have nearly the same leg room that my 2015 has. And also the lack of panoramic sunroof really makes a big negative impact on the rear seat passengers. Needless to say, I was not impressed by this new model.

On the other hand, the new 2019 G90 was quite impressive. Yes it was $15k more than the new K900, but definitely that much more of a vehicle for sure.

It is a really strange feeling when I get back in my 2015 K900 after the show and feel that it is still better than 95% of the brand new overpriced vehicles that I have just sat in at the car show.

2015 K900 - Black on Black, VIP package
post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

Joe
Thanks for you thoughts on the new K900. I go to the Phoenix auto show, but not this year
One foot in a brace and the other in a cast, so getting around is a real pain this year.
I enjoyed my 2015 K900 which I turned in for a 3 year lease on a 2018 Genesis G90.
My wife likes the Genesis better than the K900. In some ways I liked the K900 better.
Biggest difference I noticed in the Genesis was that it drives much bigger than the 2015 K900
Of course it is a bigger car and the handling of the Genesis is much better than the 2015 K900
I believe the new K900 is the same size as the Genesis.
I do miss the panoramic sun roof and the G90 does not have a power sun shade for the sun roof
figure that. Out of dash display screens are not a turn on for me at all.
The Genesis is said to be built around customer service, But I believe my customer service with
the (lowly) K900 was much better than what I get on the Genesis

Last edited by Gene; 11-24-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage

The seat comfort, both front and rear, is far superior in the 2019 G90, compared to the 2019 K900. Also the quality of materials is noticeably more elegant as well. Its almost like they dumbed down the K900, in order to give Genesis the appearance of overall dominance in the category. Not sure how much change there is from your 2018 to the 2019, but I was very impressed.

But my favorite vehicle of the show (note that Range Rover didn't even show up this year) was the Lexus LX570, since I am in the market for an SUV to soon replace my RAM lease. It most reminded me of what my car would be like in SUV form. Very comfortable, elegant details, and still has a panoramic sunroof, and of course a big V8!

2015 K900 - Black on Black, VIP package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-25-2018, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Yes, interesting to hear your impressions, joelischynski. As far as I know, you are the first one of us here to have a real look at the new model.

I read (or heard on YouTube--I forget) that they eliminated the panoramic sunroof for better body rigidity for improved handling. I bet most of the owners would prefer the roof--who's out autocrossing these cars?

BTW, Gene, I'm surprised that the G90 lacks the power sunshade. It's weird what they include and don't sometimes.

I will have to say, though, overall, it's easy to see what the company is up to by keeping the K below the G--they're protecting their brand hierarchy just like GM. You can't get everything on a Suburban you can on an Escalade, etc. It must be good marketing, because almost every automaker does it.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #5 of 9 Old 11-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

On the G90 the rear side window sun shades are power even the small side window in back.
The new K900's side windows are still manual up and down.
I didn't pay attention to if the 2019 K900's sun roof shade was still power or manual like the G90
post #6 of 9 Old 11-29-2018, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I believe that KIA is trying to compete with the BMW 5 (more sporty), Cadillac CT6, E class etc.. I suspect that their marketing is NOT trying to play on the same court as the 7 Series, LS, A8, S550 hence the 6 cyl turbo. The Genesis G90 is on the other hand directly trying to challenge the big boys. This is a matter of picking your fights wisely. Regardless, the k900 is a compelling product. I checked the sales figures from 2015, with 2400 sold nation wide, the 2015 K900 might be the most exclusive non supercar ownership club in the nation. Think about that.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2018, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Yes! I read somewhere (don't remember where) that these cars are much rarer than Rolls Royces, at least in the US. So we can all feel pretty exclusive.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #8 of 9 Old 12-01-2018, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Well, I'm that guy who said K900 sightings are rarer than Rolls.

Saw a few videos on the new K900. Notables:
1) Apple Car Play and Android Auto capability; finally.
2) The dash will display the rear view image of the direction the car is changing lane when the turn signals are used (much like the Honda lane watch).
post #9 of 9 Old 12-01-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Oh, CT6 is no more... Short-sighted GM (and to a lesser extent Ford) decides to kill off passenger cars to focus on SUVs, trucks, and self-driving cars. You just wait until gas goes back to $4/gallon...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page