2017 VIP Plus - Kia K900 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-02-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default 2017 VIP Plus

Hey guys new to the forum. I'm a couple months into owning this 2017 K900 VIP Plus, I'm coming from a 2013 Charger Daytona. I will say when I found this car I was not looking or thinking about anything but a newer Charger Daytona. Long story short found this guy while my wife was looking for a new car. The interior blew me away (Tuscon Brown) plus it had a V8 with more HP than my Charger, 420 vs. 385. Also the mileage (9,7xx) and price (30k) were hard to pass up. I enjoy the exclusivity of the K900, you won't have to worry about seeing one next to you at the stop light. I do have a few gripes about the K900, remote start through an app and coming from a sports car this doesn't handle as tightly, but I have really enjoyed it.
I've made a couple cosmetic changes 5% tint, too dark for some, but I've grown accustomed to it through 5 years of driving with it. Also changed to a set of 20" Lexani Pegasus w/ Continental ExtremeContact DWS(This has kinda been a nightmare). Anyway I attached a couple pics of what it looked like on the lot and what it looks like today. Look forward to reading the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lot.jpg (331.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Home.jpg (248.3 KB, 22 views)
K900 Pilot and vvet like this.
post #2 of 12 Old 07-05-2020, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Welcome to the board, Jcurtp24! Glad you found your K900, which does look really nice. I like white on these cars very much.

You are right that they are a pretty rare sight (we are driving unicorns, as somebody remarked in another thread). Somebody else said it's a rolling couch, which I think is pretty accurate.

Sounds like you are OK with all that, though, so I hope and expect you will have a long and happy experience as a K900 owner. Let us know how you and the car get along as the miles rack up.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
post #3 of 12 Old 07-06-2020, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome to the forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-06-2020, 10:28 PM

Actually, I'd be curious to know how you find the K900's horsepower vs. the Charger. I always feel like I don't quite feel 400+ ponies up there.

Of course, this may be due to the drive mode. I never put mine in Sport, because I don't like how it makes the gauges look.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2020, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Intender View Post
Actually, I'd be curious to know how you find the K900's horsepower vs. the Charger. I always feel like I don't quite feel 400+ ponies up there.

Of course, this may be due to the drive mode. I never put mine in Sport, because I don't like how it makes the gauges look.

I actually prefer how the gauges look in sport mode, I find them easier to read. I don't like how the car behaves in sport mode though.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2020, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Intender View Post

The Charger definitely put you in the back of your seat if you wanted it to and sometimes if you didn't mean to. But comparing the Charger 5.7 Hemi to the K900 5.0 GDI, in my opinion is comparing apples to oranges. The transmission in the Charger is sport orientated (3.06) vs K900 being more cruising. The Hemi has more torqure. Plus the weight of the K900 being 500+ more lbs, it's gonna take more for it to get going. The K900 can get up and go no problem but it's nothing like the Charger.
I don't drive in Sport mode much myself, mentally I think if I'm in sport mode I am not going to get as good MPG (even though that's probably just in my head).
post #7 of 12 Old 07-10-2020, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Weight is a big factor. I drove a '15 K900 a year ago. Compared to my Cadenza, it felt faster but not substantially so. Cadenza = 3700 lbs, K900 = 4500 lbs.

I recently took a '15 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 for a drive. Again, it felt faster than my Cadenza, but less than I expected. I then looked up the weight. The '15 Genesis 5.0 is at 4500 lbs just like the K900. I expected it to be less. It's Cadenza-sized (thought with RWD). I see the V6 Genesis is closer, at 4100 lbs.

'14 Cadenza, '16 Sedona
post #8 of 12 Old 07-10-2020, 10:46 PM

Interesting, Jcurtp24. You kind of confirm what I thought--the K900's performance is a bit sub-par vs. what you would expect from the specs.

The gas mileage thing is definitely not in your head, though. I experimented a good bit with all the drive modes when I first got the car, and I found there was about a 2MPG difference between Economy & Sport. I've since settled down to keeping it in Smart mode to sort of split the difference.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2020, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcurtp24 View Post
Also changed to a set of 20" Lexani Pegasus w/ Continental ExtremeContact DWS(This has kinda been a nightmare). Anyway I attached a couple pics of what it looked like on the lot and what it looks like today.
Whatís the nightmare? Iím going for 20Ē and the Storm lowering springs (only an inch lower max) to help with the handling and stance.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2020, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ikon View Post
Whatís the nightmare? Iím going for 20Ē and the Storm lowering springs (only an inch lower max) to help with the handling and stance.
First the rear wheels I bought (20x10) stick out of the wheel well about 1/2"-3/4", which was bad measuring on my part but I was also told it would fit in the wheel well. However it does give the car a more aggressive look and that has grown on me.
Second, the wheels and tires weren't balanced properly when shipped and I had to have all four rebalanced.
Third both front wheels valve stems hit the front caliper. The Lexani valve stem mounts are in the middle of the wheel. I only drove about 10-15 miles and they got chewed up pretty good even purged the passenger side valve. I had some new tire stems put on, shortest they could get to seal and they still rub. Not as bad but still rub.
Then I bought some 11mm hub centric spacers, and get this...the passenger side valve stem doesn't rub anymore but the driver side does??? Plus with the spacers it felt like made the car feel like it was a little out of balance again. (Car shaking at 45-55, then subsiding at 65+)
Lastly and this happened a couple days ago, I was driving, dark and stormy, hit a pothole and busted one of my front tires. Wheel seems to be fine minus some road rash on the inside of the wheel.
All this happening within a three week period. So I'm back to stock for a while. I'll put the Lexani's back on once I figure out the valve stem issue. I was told they had a valve stem they could use that wouldn't rub but it would eliminate the TPMS, so that may be a route I go.
Don't let this deter you from going the route you want. Just letting you know some possible issues you may have.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page