Is 117,000 miles nuts? - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Default Is 117,000 miles nuts?

It looks good, the Carfax is clean, and I very much like the rare blue leather! And, I almost forgot to mention the price is right!

https://www.automaxofmemphis.com/inv...tails/42519409

I'm tempted. Should I be?

Last edited by K9Intender; 04-24-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #2 of 8 Old 04-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage

Have a good mechanic check the engine and running gear. Pay a certified mechanic if you can find one willing to do it for you.
If the car is that good they shouldn't mind you taking the car to be checked out. Maybe talk to the original owner.
If that is highway miles that is nothing, but fixing these cars can be expensive.
That is indeed a rare find
post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Well, you're not nuts but you're gutsy.
I actually think the price is on the high-side for the mileage. Perhaps not bad as a dealer opening price but (if you truly like it) I'd shoot for an out-the-door price of $16k.
The car looks well cared for: front driver seat booster still in VERY good shape. None of the rims have noticeable scratches...
Are you local and can see the car in person? Make sure it's not a smoker's car (I just presume you don't smoke...).
Have to admit I'll be curious to follow your ownership journey should you bite; as evidence how well this car holds up in the long haul w/o warranty .
Lastly, whatever happened to your insistence for a MY'16 or newer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Well, good advice, Gene, no doubt. However, after sleeping on it, the fever has abated a bit and I'm leaning against.

I did communicate with the dealer, and as far as I can tell, they were being pretty honest. They said they got it from Kia Leasing right after turn-in, and they pointed out a bit of wear on the steering wheel leather and said that was the only visible wear anywhere, which the pix seem to bear out. I asked about the credit card key, and they said it was still present and working--I think that indicates that good care was taken of the car. Apparently the tires are good, and I pulled the AutoCheck, and it shows a lot of regular maintenance. So overall, I do think it's the very best >100,000 mi. vehicle I ever saw.

On the other hand, it is gray, which I don't much care for, and my gut just misgave me on the mileage. Even if the driveline is solid, which it may well be, I worried about the smaller systems like those fancy swiveling headlights. Looking over some of the old posts here, I see that stuff is not cheap. So, I chickened out...er, made a judicious assessment of the risk/reward ratio of the business proposal.

Also, as you point out, mdude, I really want a newer example. I remember other cases where I bought something I didn't exactly want because it was a good deal, and I never really liked those cars afterwards. So onward and upward!

(Unless I change my mind. And my mind surprises me sometimes!)
post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

probably wise to wait; especially if you add many more miles per year. if it was a 'fun' car for part time driving, might be a good possibility for low $. I saw another one this week on cars.com with 128000 miles for $18999, so, your price is good. I think it was black? I wonder if anyone would sell a warranty with that mileage; probably not?
Good luck; the hunt can be a real fun challenge.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I don't actually put many miles on, Dave. I always have more than one vehicle, so I don't run the wheels of any one of them. That did factor into my thinking a little--I could probably keep this one ten years and only run it up another 50 or 60 thousand or so, but that was not enough in the end to make me pull the trigger on it.

The dealer did specifically offer me a service contract with the car--that surprised me. I was not quite interested enough to delve into the details, so I didn't get a price or conditions, but they said it would cover engine, transmission, and rear end for another 100,000 miles. Probably the devil is in the fine print, as it usually is with these things.

Yes, the hunt can be fun! Also, a challenge, put you off your food, give you many sleepless nights, and make you such a pain your friends will be saying "Yes, yes buy it!" just to get you to shut up. I've been on both ends of that conversation.

Now, on to the Cosmic Convergence, K900 department:

There is ANOTHER gray 2015 with the rare blue leather, in Memphis, apparently quite close to the first one. How weird is that? I thought at first it was the same car posted on different sites, until I checked the VIN. This one is also a one-owner off-lease, but only a bit over 31,000 miles and the price seems excellent, too. The only thing that puzzles me a bit is that it's at a Kia dealer, and I wonder why they haven't certified it so as to get a better price? CarFax and AutoCheck do not indicate any issues. If you look at their Certified inventory, you'll see a 2015 Premium (much less equipment) with more miles at a slightly higher price.

https://gossettkia.com/UsedCars/2015...tkiP4ZLsUJzJrw
post #7 of 8 Old 04-28-2018, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I drive very little compared to when I was working; I've had my k900 since 11/2016 and have only put 2300 miles on it. I also have an 02 Lexus SC430 convert that only has 60K miles on it and it's now almost 17 years old. When I lived in Texas I drove a heck of a lot more than my small lake town now.
I looked at the latest one you found; looks pretty good. I noticed it has the divided top console like the '16s; KIA does some odd mix/match things like that. The blue is rare; I saw one at my local dealer new as a 2016 I believe it was, with the blue quilted with divided console lid, but it was a white car. What kind of bothered me about the blue were two things; first, i don't care for the mixture of the blue with the black dash and door trim and the gray headliner; too many colors maybe? The second thing is maybe n/a since I'm late 50's but that blue shade reminds me of so many cars in the past that had blue vinyl interiors and they just aged badly and faded. Probably a generational thing.
Mine is black with the white VIP and I still love the white interior; to me it just works better keeping the colors in the same shade range. I found the other one I mentioned earlier and will try to attach the link, it's black on black VIP in Alabama; only 5 pics but looks pretty clean; no car fax attached.
Couldn't get the link to attach; oh well it's an easy google; price is now 17900 with 128K miles. just fyi.
The search is a big part of the fun and negotiating never bothers me and is also sort of fun; I'm super duper picky so my searches can take a good while. Enjoy the search, get a good deal, and most of all get the car YOU want to see as you walk up to it, and then enjoy getting in...
post #8 of 8 Old 04-28-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I agree that the white interior is awesome; that's what I really want. I do very much like blue, though. I remember those all-blue interiors more fondly than you do, Dave. Wouldn't it be nice if Kia offered a blue and white one? That would be way beyond awesome. (BTW, there's one available in the new Navigator--called the yacht theme.)

Yes, I noticed that both these cars have the split armrest lid, and I also noticed that their center caps are all silver like the 16s. Most 15s had a black area in there. We know the blue leather option appeared very late in '15--apparently it was so late that '16 parts were already coming in. These two do have the '15 chrome trim patterns on the side and rear, though. (Curiously, the high-mileage one seems to have lost its chrome below the doors on both sides.)

The Lexus SC hardtop convertible is a good choice for a companion for a fine luxury sedan. I have a Pontiac G6 one myself. It's getting on for top-down weather, now--looking forward to it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page