Oil Catch Can - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Default Oil Catch Can

Re Deposits on the intake valves due to PCV carryover: I ran a USB borescope into the intake manifold at about 37000 mi. (photo 1) and observed a relatively minor amount of buildup on the stems, and not much at all on the backside of the valves. I don't know if the previous owner had done any intake port cleaning.

Having seen a lot online about the valve fouling associated with GDI engines, I decided to install a small oil catch can bought off Amazon as an experiment. After 2000 mi, the catch can contained approx 2ml of oil (photo 2), and a trace amount of crud associated with moisture mixing with oil. I'm going to do the CRC Intake Valve cleaning before the next oil change, clean out the catch can again, and then monitor valve buildup over the next few oil changes to see if the catch can is having an impact. I'll post the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190503 Intake 4a valve buildup.jpg (50.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20190620 Catch Can Oil 2 ml.jpg (118.2 KB, 2 views)

2015 Kia Prem. Black w/Brown & Beige Interior. Built Mar/2015
post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Where did you mount your catch can? I also mounted a catch can about 1000 miles ago due to my concerns with direct injected engines and I am awaiting the results once I get some more miles on it. I doubt the previous owner has done the valve cleaning service since most of these were leased and are also still covered on warranty. I heard the service can be costly.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Very glad to see this thread! I had been thinking over putting in one of these. I'll be interested to see how these work out.

2016 V8 VIP+, black with white interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-28-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Default Oil Catch Can Mounting Location

I mounted it to the firewall, to the left of the engine. I used existing fasteners, as I did not want to drill any holes into the car. I made a template for the bracket out of cardboard, and then transferred the shape and bends to a piece of aluminum, See Photo.

This location allows the can to be removed without being a contortionist or needing tiny hands. It does help to remove the engine cover.

For the hose extensions, I bought 9/16" heater hose and fittings from a local auto parts chain. I used a 90 elbow at the PCV valve to improve routing and keep stress off the valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190628_163344.jpg (203.0 KB, 4 views)

2015 Kia Prem. Black w/Brown & Beige Interior. Built Mar/2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page