Kia K900 Forum

Kia K900 Forum (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/)
-   Engine and Technical Discussion (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion-10/)
-   -   Anyone had their moonroof fabric fall down? (https://www.k900forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion-10/anyone-had-their-moonroof-fabric-fall-down-5617/)

TurboD16 10-26-2020 09:24 PM

Anyone had their moonroof fabric fall down?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1833

A little background, 2015 K900 with just under 45k miles on it. My warranty ran out in August and the front one fell down in Sept. They good willed the repair but here we are, a month later and the rear fails. I didn't even get to use it a single time. They are saying they can't good will the rear and want to charge me a bunch, even though they said they did the whole assembly when they did the front one. I can't help but feel like if they hadn't touched the front one, or had done it right, maybe the rear would be fine. If it was done perfectly as the dealership is claiming, then the timing is as terrible as the parts are. Just wondering if this has happened to or has anyone else seen this ever?
I keep having weird issues like these, and a reoccurring airbag light that required 3 visits and might be good but maybe not???
Needless to say, I am less than impressed, and will be contacting Kia Customer relations but want to see if any other owners have seen this issue before.

EDIT - Kia did comp the repair for me which I greatly appreciate. Just hoping that is the roughest patch I see for a very long time, because the rest of the car is so great. I would hate to get another bad taste in my mouth. So weird to be the only one experiencing this issue.

K9Intender 12-22-2020 11:52 PM

I've been noticing a little wrinkling in the fabric on my '16, so I could be headed down that road. But still, I think the manual says somewhere that some wrinkling is normal, so maybe not.

Hope yours has stayed fixed, Turbo!

TurboD16 01-15-2021 12:19 AM

So far the fabric has stayed up. The front glass broke the other day (between the windshield and the moonroof). It was half way in the shade so ya know... sun and temperature. These big/little things are starting to make me lose faith in the car to be honest. We will see.

cebk900 01-21-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboD16 (Post 27145)
So far the fabric has stayed up. The front glass broke the other day (between the windshield and the moonroof). It was half way in the shade so ya know... sun and temperature. These big/little things are starting to make me lose faith in the car to be honest. We will see.

I see your K900 is over 5 years old. What else has failed on the car? The glass just breaking on its own sounds real strange. Was their a star or hairline crack prior to it breaking ?:confused:

TurboD16 01-21-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cebk900 (Post 27165)
I see your K900 is over 5 years old. What else has failed on the car? The glass just breaking on its own sounds real strange. Was their a star or hairline crack prior to it breaking ?:confused:

Apparently it is very common on Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis models with the all glass roofs. Even parking half way in the shade can cause it, or a splash of water that is too different in temp to the glass. No previous cracks, chips, or anything else. I had just done the graphene coating on the car a week prior, so I had been going over it with a fine tooth comb the entire time. Was rather heart breaking to put so much time in and have something like this happen, souring my taste for the car.

cebk900 01-21-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboD16 (Post 27167)
Apparently it is very common on Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis models with the all glass roofs. Even parking half way in the shade can cause it, or a splash of water that is too different in temp to the glass. No previous cracks, chips, or anything else. I had just done the graphene coating on the car a week prior, so I had been going over it with a fine tooth comb the entire time. Was rather heart breaking to put so much time in and have something like this happen, souring my taste for the car.

Hmmm...I've not heard of or experienced such a thing with Kia, Hyundai or Genesis. I'm a big fan of their vehicles. I've owned a....

2012 Hyundai Sonata
2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2017 Kia Forte
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2019 Hyundai Tucson Limited
2019 Kia Sorento
2020 Kia Stinger
2020 K900

They all had moon roofs and were washed in the spring, summer, fall & winter. All were exposed to all natures elements and never a crack or a break. Perhaps I've been lucky.

waz 01-23-2021 07:10 PM

I got a 3 year lease on a 2015 Hyundai Genesis Ultimate in February, 2016. I got an unbelievable deal ($320/month) and loved the car. One day in January 2018 I was driving at 70 mph and the main panoramic sunroof panel imploded with a bang and showered me with glass. Scared the bejebus out of me; I had to pry the seat's Napa leather from between my clenched butt cheeks. I drove straight to the dealer, and they replaced it under warranty since it was a well known problem with Hyundais and Kias. I ended up getting a $350 check from Hyundai like a year later due to a class action lawsuit.