Mold in Trunk - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 08-26-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Exclamation Mold in Trunk

Suggestion for 1st gen K900 owners out there. Check for mold growth on the underside of the trunk floor panel and the spare tire cover tray. Fully remove both the panel and tray from the car, and flip them over to inspect. Also check for signs of moisture under the spare tire itself, and for white lead oxide powder on the tops of the battery terminals. See Photos.
I can't be sure yet, but I think the most likely point of moisture ingress is around an improperly seated access plate over the evaporative control hardware under the rigid foam cover. There were signs of moisture under this foam cover.

The dealers are supposed to check the "fuel tank air filter" as part of the regular maintenance, which involves removing this access plate. If they don't re-install it correctly, there is a distinct possibility of water that's thrown up when driving in the rain getting past the gasket.
A simple fix is to ensure all cover bolts are fully seated, and if you want to be extra sure, a small bead of silicone gasket sealant won't hurt.
I cleaned my panel and tray with a high pressure washer and left in the sun to dry. I did not use any detergents or moldicides, so I'll see if the mold returns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mold Under Panel.jpg (341.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg access cover.jpg (382.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg battery post.jpg (112.0 KB, 3 views)

2015 Kia Prem. Black w/Brown & Beige Interior. Built Mar/2015

Last edited by micrandra; 08-26-2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add attachment photos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page