Hello K900 owners. New 2 KIA-questions 4U... - Kia K900 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-01-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post Hello K900 owners. New 2 KIA-questions 4U...

Just taking a moment to say hello. Just got out of a BMW 750Li with over 155K miles and into a K900 under 35K miles. Car is nice. I used to be a part of a forum called bimmerfest but now I am with you guys. I look forward to everyone participating and sharing their experiences with one another.

Some questions I have up front are the following:

Oil:
What is the best/preferred brand of oil known to work well with this car? I used to use Liqui Moly (for German cars), Royal Purple, and Mobile 1. Just wanted to know if these brands were okay to use for this care or if something else was better.

Smart Key:
My credit card Smart key does not work. How does this get fixed? Does it require me going to dealership?

Warranty:
For anyone who purchased their vehicle with the Platinum Plus wrap around (bumper to bumper) package, has anyone had any good or bad experiences they can share wit that (specifically referring to how their experience has been when they took their car in for the first time after purchasing).

Rotors and Brakes:
After buying my K900 i feel the rotor and brakes need replaced. I was thinking of getting aftermarket slotted rotors and ceramic brakes but wanted to know if anything would be void if I did that. I assume buying my own brakes and rotors is no different than buying my own windshield wipers and oil. Just wanted to know if i was being ignorant on the matter.

Headlights:
Many of you may know about this already but I wanted to know if anyone could share their experience about the K900 headlight recall and if everything went smooth or not. Article is here;
Kia K900 Recalled to Fix LED Headlights | CarComplaints.com

Lastly.....
Is there another forum other than this one that would be good to become a member of? Please advise. Thank you for taking the time to read. Appreciate it.

Semper Fi
post #2 of 19 Old 12-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome to the forum
You might also try Kia Cadenza Forum.
while it is the cadenza forum, there are a lot of questions
and postings that can also apply to the K900.
Had the light switch recall done and it was no big deal
went fine and my dealer had a new Cadenza ready for me
when I pulled in.
Rotors and brake linings aren't part of the warranty,
shouldn't change anything else on the warranty
credit card Smart key might need a battery.
type CR2412.if that doesn't help, then would
have to take to dealer.
Battery comes out by pulling holder out from the end
Dealer did free oil changes for first 37500 miles.
By next change I will use my own. mobile 1 or
Pennzoil Platinum: Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus.
I get 2 free changes for the Pennsoil after my warranty runs out
Semper Fi
Usmc4e likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum. I don't have much more to add than Gene already covered, but I bought a used K900 like you. Everything seems to be running smoothly after I took it into the dealer for the headlight switch recall. The dealership also performed several other updates (I was there almost three hours) with no charge. As for brakes, that's on to replace, but I thought my K900 needed new brakes too when I first bought it. It seemed to be hard to stop than the (smaller sportier car I owned prior). But I come to realize it was those darn factory Hancook tires. The threads weren't worn down, but they aren't good tire. I bought brand new Continental (dmw something I think... mind went blank), and the care stops just fine now. But have your breaks checked out.

The only other strange thing about owning a K900 is that I found out quickly that only a handful of Kia dealerships are authorized to service them (I live in the Chicago area). It's kind of cool and an inconvenience too...lol. But the dealership I go to has been fantastic and they treat me like a king. Enjoy your car.
Usmc4e likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I also put Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires on mine.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are a great tire also but expensive.
They are both Ultra High Performance All-Season tires.
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus is a Grand Touring All-Season tire.
That gives a smooth ride but not as good overall performance
post #5 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

To Gene:
Thanks for the response. Very impressed and appreciated your detailed answers. This bit of detail was exactly what I needed. Thank you!!!! Kudos to u.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

To EricP:
Thank you for your information. Your feedback further supplemented Gene. It was helpful.
I made an appointment to take my car to dealer tomorrow as this will be the first time i step into a K900 dealership. And yes I found out prior to buying my k900 that not all dealers were K900 dealers. There about 2 that are somewhat....i say again..somewhat reasonably close to me. The third one, is in a different state. I'll have to check what kind of tires I have on my car right now but I don't think I have a problem with the tires. This def seems like a "warped rotors" and low brakes issue. I will post what my experience was like and anything else they found after i come from the dealership tomorrow.
Thanks for your input.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Gene:
How loud or quiet would you say your current Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires on your k900? I had tires that i bought so cheep that while they were a high rated tire for speed, they were the loudest tires I ever had. The tires made a loud noise that you could not hear the engine/transmission shift gears. It was so loud that the tires were making a noise similar to someone who was driving a stick shift but not downshifting when they needed to.

Since you bought the tire already, can you share what site/store you chose to get them from and/or what site you researched to read up on their overall quality (i.e. good/bad for hard cornering, screeches/does not screech, for a slow, moderate or aggressive driver?? I drive hard..hard cornering but also want something that wont have me slip all over the place in the rain/snow as well 60 -100K rates mile tire would be ideal. Anything you can share would be great.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

KIA was going to replace the OEM tires for me, as three of them were egg shaped
They were unable to balance with a road force balance.
I didn't want to run into the same problem with the same tires. Dealer worked it out
for me to get the Continentals and I paid $78.00 extra and they road forced the new
tires plus did a 4 wheel alignment. That worked out good for me.
I checked out tires on www.tirerack.com.
Went with the Continentals not only for the price but so I don't have to put snow tires on.
Yes they are that good. We do get a lot of snow up in flagstaff, main highway out of
valley goes thru there.
Tires handle really well compared to the OEM tires. Good in turns and the stopping
is great even in rain. Only 50K warranty. I have 22,000 miles 0n them and don't even
look like they are worn. 10/32" tread to start. They are now 8/32". That's 12,000 miles
on the highway and other 10,000 city.
Best rating was for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ at a big price jump. These tires were
rated almost as good. Glad I went with them.
K900 is a quiet car any way but don't hear the tires at all. Only con I can see to the tires
they flat spot if left setting a couple of days. So for about the first mile or so you can
feel that, but then they are nice and smooth.
Check out ratings on tire rack. If Michelins had been same price I would have gone for
them just because I've had good luck with them in the past
Hope this helps, I couldn't wait to get rid of the OEM tires.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok cool Gene. Thanks.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-03-2016, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have the same tires as Gene (just had a brain fart and couldn't think of the name at the time). Again, everything he said. Great tires!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page