K900 pending lawsuit - Kia K900 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-12-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default K900 pending lawsuit

I am in the process of filing a lawsuit against KIA for defects on my 2015 model.

If you have defects under warranty in the following areas and are interested in joining this action, please e-mail KiaK900suit@gmail.com

- instrument cluster reflects backwards and upside down in to front windshield during night driving
- rear windshield picks up light in the defroster lines causing blinding and distracting patterns
- on-board display freezes and reboots constantly and while frozen locks you out of steering wheel and center console controls
- adaptive headlamps repeatedly fail and need to be replaced, headlamps pointing in opposite directions

Thank you

Last edited by K900ClassAction; 12-13-2016 at 12:02 AM.
post #2 of 14 Old 12-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage

Are you sure you don't have the HUD showing on the windshield?
never had a problem with the rear window, seems the same as all cars.
Have the KIA dealership update or check the software.
haven't had a problem with the headlights on mine.
What does the dealership say about these problems?
Has KIA replaced the head lights or have you ?
Did you buy one of the water damaged vehicles from the flooding?
post #3 of 14 Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

While I have to be careful of my words due to pending litigation, I can assure you these issues have been researched, documented, photographed, verified by independent technical experts and brought to the attention of various levels of "support" from dealerships to the executive over the past six+ months without any remedy. They have left me no choice but to litigate these claims which will be handled by a consumer protection attorney.

This is not the VIP trim, so there is no HUD.

Both headlamps have been replaced by KIA, independently, before and during ownership and still fail. One points down/left, one points straight ahead.

There is nothing in the lineage or history of the vehicle to suggest any flooding was involved.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 09:40 PM

What is your reason for seeking class action status, why can your lawsuit not proceed independently?

Since your car has no HUD, it is impossible for the instrument cluster to reflect on the windshield. There is no conceivable angle that this can happen. Please post a picture and I'll admit I stand corrected.

I drive the car at lot at night these days. Even though the roads are pickups and SUVs heavy but I never felt blinded by headlights reflecting off the rear window defroster lines.

Frequently freezing onboard displays is unfortunate. Malfunctioning adaptive headlamps have been reported, and is the only issue among the four you mentioned that I'm familiar with.

In any case yours is the first case I heard of with all these problems. That and the fact that Kia hardly sells any K900 in the US (figure 4500 +/- since inception), your likelihood of getting enough owners to form a "class" is low.

I do hope you receive justice in this matter. Please keep us posted.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your note. An independent action can certainly be sought. Due to the severity and multitude of the defects, it's worth taking the time to investigate if others are having similar problems.

There are 70+ attorney general complaints against Kia Motors of America in my state (NOT dealerships, the main corporation and reflecting all models) since the K900 came online. Multiply that by 50 states and you have a lot of sorting to go through.

So I thought it would be worthwhile posting here as a more direct form of seeking information.

I assure you this reflection is valid and persists in a car that does not have a HUD, but I can't provide additional details at this time.

Kia is aware of the problem and the most I can get out of them is -- we'll let the engineers know for future design (yeah, right)

Last edited by K900ClassAction; 12-15-2016 at 10:33 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K900ClassAction View Post
While I have to be careful of my words due to pending litigation, I can assure you these issues have been researched, documented, photographed, verified by independent technical experts and brought to the attention of various levels of "support" from dealerships to the executive over the past six+ months without any remedy. They have left me no choice but to litigate these claims which will be handled by a consumer protection attorney.

This is not the VIP trim, so there is no HUD.

Both headlamps have been replaced by KIA, independently, before and during ownership and still fail. One points down/left, one points straight ahead.

There is nothing in the lineage or history of the vehicle to suggest any flooding was involved.

Well, I see I have the headlight pointing in opposite directions problems now. I also have an issue with the wheels chaffing. It took weeks - after having pictures taken at the dealership - for the Kia to contact and tell me that they believe the wheel chaffing is from curb contact. But there is peeling where the wheel would never come into contact with the curb, and on the wheels on the driver side. The car runs great, but definitely some electrical and body issues that an expensive car such as this one shouldn't have.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-16-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K900ClassAction View Post
Thank you for your note. An independent action can certainly be sought. Due to the severity and multitude of the defects, it's worth taking the time to investigate if others are having similar problems.

There are 70+ attorney general complaints against Kia Motors of America in my state (NOT dealerships, the main corporation and reflecting all models) since the K900 came online. Multiply that by 50 states and you have a lot of sorting to go through.

So I thought it would be worthwhile posting here as a more direct form of seeking information.

I assure you this reflection is valid and persists in a car that does not have a HUD, but I can't provide additional details at this time.

Kia is aware of the problem and the most I can get out of them is -- we'll let the engineers know for future design (yeah, right)
Your math may not work out as intended. Kia sold about 4500 +/- K900s in the US since 2014. 70 per state * 50 = 3,500. It is unlikely there'd be that many problematic cars around. Assuming a 3% defect rate, you've at most 100-200 cases nationwide. A higher defect rate would've been on the news by now. FYI KIA was rated most reliable new car by JD Powers for 2015. Now one can discount these so-called surveys but Kia cannot be making very bad cars because any gaps in the survey are still relative to all the brands included.

My guess is, and I say it's about as informed as having only your two posts to rely on, that you K900 probably has bad wiring harness that leads to all kinds of electrical gremlins. These are nasty problems to have and almost impossible to completely diagnose.

Have you tried asking Kia to buy back the car under your state's lemon law? Again, hope you get justice.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-16-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

All reasonable options have been exhausted and the only recourse is to sue. If they wanted to fix these issues they had more than seven months to do so. Thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 12-16-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I also have the delamination on the dashboard as reported by another posted in July.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-21-2016, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage

I have noticed the instrument cluster reflection on the top of the windshield although I would not call it bothersome. I had more problems with reflection in other cars from the defroster grid and normally only if the rear window was tinted with poor quality tint.

I personally do not see any of these as being a safety issue and the only time I had a major issue with the cluster reflection I just folded the sun visor out, no more problem.

I have the VIP package so at night I turn off or lower as many of the instrument lights and use the HUD. I put up the rear window screen.

Now the headlights I would have issue with but have not see any problems yet.

Ptrs
Current KIA's: '15 K9, '16 Soul EV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page