LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Default K900 Experience So Far with Comments and Questions

OK.

I had an compulsive purchase on K900, which I had no idea that I would do it. Having AMG's. S's and M's plus Exotics still in my garage, I really liked the price and what K900 offers.

Overall, the car is rock solid and love driving it everyday. Value is great for the numerous categories.

3 months into really driving it everyday, I have found few things that are definitely different from previous experiences from other luxury cars.

1. Tire, Traction Control
Too thin? When making a turn and put some gas, Traction control gets into
action which is normal situation. However, it occurs too often even if you
do not make a speedy sharp turns. Annoying.

Maybe the tires are too thin... That's only the issue of tires.

Once you let the gas pedal go when your traction control takes over, then
the car should come back to normal ASAP. The recovery time is away too
long. It is like you have to wait a minute to gain control of the car. This
was not impressive at all.

2. Switches
Even the car is equipped with all the technologies, getting around is not
that user friendly. This is today car's biggest problem as there are so many
technologies available out there and putting them all together, making it as
user friendly as possible must be a big task. K900's missing few things here
and there.

"Auto Lock" is located right below the shift lever along with drive mode.

For drive mode, you could change it immediately as you push the button.
However, for some reason, the auto lock button, you need to push it and
hold for a good second and a half to be activated. Then you need to push
the brake to see the sign on the dash board turns green.

MB's European Version has similar feature where you turn it on in a heavy
traffic, you could push gas pedal to move the car a little bit then once you
release the gas pedal, car stops automatically. K900's system only does
when you reach to a complete stop. And you have to see the green light to
come on to make sure it is locked. At a stop light, I did what I thought I
needed to do, went to my center console, 2 seconds later, I hit the car in
front...
I couldn't believe it. That taught me a lesson. I now make sure it
turns green and double check with my eyes then let the brake pedal go.

I think KIA tried to have some fancy function but the timing to activate the system and making it work takes longer than it should.

3. Sound System
It is absolutely amazing how they did it without paying a chunk of extra
for a robust and clear sound system. I paid over $8000 for Bang and
Olufsen option on my S8 and Kia's sounds a lot better in my opinion. Two
thumbs up.

4. Climate Control
When I purchased the car, I wanted to go all the way but VIP package car
wasn't available. So I settled with Luxury or whatever the second most
expensive version instead. The only things I am missing are Head Up
Display, Digital Instrument Panel and something I do
not know. I did not really study the car before I bought it so pardon my
ignorance.

When I have to change the temperature in the rear, I will have to reach to
the back seat arm rest then turn the button or change the entire car at the
same temp. I found it difficult. Maybe I do not know how to do it properly.

5. Volume Knob
Although it has an awesome stereo system, I found out this. When I change
the radio station, I use the big knob on the center but could not control the
volume at the same time. The 2 possible way to do it are too far away from
the knob. I think you either have to adjust the volume with main radio
control which is located on the front panel below vents... Or you could do it
with your left thumb on the steering wheel. If there's a small button right
next to the big knob like Audi does, it will make the transition more easy.

6. Head Rest
I constantly adjust my headrest every time I get in the car. I use easy
access so when I turn the engine off, the seat moves back and I will have
more room to get out of the car. I am 5'10" and 165 lbs so not a big guy at
all so probably I shouldn't use that function at all. But when I re-enter the
car, I see the headrest is raised. I do not see a button like MB, which KIA
copied from on the door panel. I will have to push and bring it down to my
comfortable level. Am I missing something due to my ignorance again?
I tried to move the button on the panel, but it is just a plastic looking like
a headrest but not movable. Thought it was odd.

7. Transmission
I like the acceleration and brake. But when you cruise and slow down for a
traffic sign, you could feel and hear the gear downshifting. You could even
feel the car jerks a bit. It is not smooth at all. It reminds me of first version
of Maserati Quattroporte which had the jerky F-1 Tranny until they finally
decided to change on '08 or later models. Is it just my car or it is just the
way the car is built?

8. Suspension
I expected when driving on the "sports mode", the car would become stiffer
and lower or something will be different. What I found is gears shift on
higher RPM and that is it. Does KIA offer different suspension mode as
option or it is just like that? Most of cars I have driven had a control unit
that I could set the firmness and height of the car. I thought all the luxury
sedans have that. Therefore when you are driving in higher speed and
making turns, your body and the inertia take over... Hahaha.

Well, I am happy overall with my K900... I changed the emblem to a fancy Korean Version as I do not want to drive around with "Killed In Action" all over... It is a great car and I am sure to enjoy it. I parked on the street in Palm Springs few weeks ago, people gathered and tried to find out what kind of car it was... Haha It drew more attention than my Ferrari... Funny... I love it. Enjoy your rides as well... I am thinking about taking a road trip to see how it is on a long haul. The car is big.... Trunk is bigger than BMW 7 Series and MB S Class... Audi 8 trunk is big too... The overall experience so far is great. How's dealership experience? Anyone wants to share? Loaner car available? Service Quality?

Driving is FUN !!!
I want my first KIA K900 to be fun too....
post #2 of 8 Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Good review, sounds like your Motor Head. I just took the K900 out since winter is done and still turns heads. Service on the car is great, I took it in for service 2 just 2 weeks ago and they had a special loaner car set aside for K900 & Cadenza owners. Planning a little trip with it for the May long weekend.

2015 KIA K900 V6 Luxury White
post #3 of 8 Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage

I have the Korean K logo on my Sorento and was going to do the same on the K900 although we get a kick out of pointing to the emblem when people ask what kind of car it is. The only thing I am changing is the K900 emblem to the Korean K9.

The first time I was given a Cadenza for a loaner, the second time my wife wanted to try a Soul even though she was offered an Cadenza or Optima.

I am not fond of the tires and plan to changing them but not the size just to Yokohama tires.

We have only done a long weekend trip but can not wait for a much longer trip. It feels like it's built for the long road. Mpg is fairly good on the freeway.

Ptrs
Current KIA's: '15 K9, '16 Soul EV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Well... I started this thread. I got into an accident and the car was still drivable. Put it in the body shop thinking it would take about a week to fix the front damage, it took 7 weeks to fix the car and the damage was $38K. Unbelievable. It has 2000 + miles and the insurance company did not total it.

Body shop said getting the parts was nightmare and came in different than how they showed on the computer the body shop uses for all cars. It took exactly 7 weeks to fix the car. I have not actually gotten it back as I will pick it up tonight. Will let you know if it is different than before.Wish I had collision warning or defense system that other German, Japanese cars have. I bought the Luxury V8 model as they did not have VIP package version and wanted to sell the car on the same day.

PLEASE do not get into an accident. You will not have your car for a long time. I have a strange hunch that I will be posting lots of threads after picking up the car tonight. Stay tight fellows.

Driving is FUN !!!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What started out as a "Love Affair" is quickly turning into a nightmare. Issues are as follows. This is. 2015 Premium K900.

1. Rt. Front Suspension bottoms out on a hard left, hard braking, a dip in the road or any combination of the 3. The car bottoms out enough the inner fender broke and the front bumper cover seperated from the front fender. After a week, I have no solution.

2. Additionally, the ride is good, but handling is poor. Squishy might describe the handling.

3. The Park button is a death trap. If you are used to a car you "put in park" the button is very dangerous. If you put the gear selector all the way forward and forget the button, you will be in reverse when you go to exit the car.

4. Original equip tires are garbage.

5. Traction control cuts power too quickly, then hesitates when returning power...a nightmare pulling out into traffic on a wet road.

6. The radio/UVO turns itself off about once a day. It will eventually reboot.

So far my service department has no answers. Not good.

Last edited by Allen E Willey; 06-18-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Update
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2016, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen E Willey View Post
What started out as a "Love Affair" is quickly turning into a nightmare. Issues are as follows. This is. 2015 Premium K900.

1. Rt. Front Suspension bottoms out on a hard left, hard braking, a dip in the road or any combination of the 3. The car bottoms out enough the inner fender broke and the front bumper cover seperated from the front fender. After a week, I have no solution.

2. Additionally, the ride is good, but handling is poor. Squishy might describe the handling.

3. The Park button is a death trap. If you are used to a car you "put in park" the button is very dangerous. If you put the gear selector all the way forward and forget the button, you will be in reverse when you go to exit the car.

4. Original equip tires are garbage.

5. Traction control cuts power too quickly, then hesitates when returning power...a nightmare pulling out into traffic on a wet road.

6. The radio/UVO turns itself off about once a day. It will eventually reboot.

So far my service department has no answers. Not good.
Well what can I say .I have not had any of those issues but it is obvious you drive the car a lot harder than I do . I have the Canadian V6 Premium with heads up display, lane departure warning , blind spot warning and they have all worked fine. as per tires not one person on the forum liked the crap that came with the car I purchased Goodyear Eagle and the ride is immensely better .We don't have UVO in Canada yet maybe Im glad we don't I find the park button excellent and in fact the electronic brake works great .I have never had any problems knowing that I'm in Drive or Park or Neutral . As far as the auto mode yes I find the place a pain and the fact It defaults back so It needs resetting everything a pain in the ass but that is minor issue. Wet driving is all tires read my comments above .

I don't find the handling all that bad in fact I find it very good .It is not a sports car and I don't expect that type of handling nor should not drive like one. Is it possible your expectations are too high or you are comparing an apple to an orange ? All in all my service has been beyond good and I have no real complaints Why dont you condsider changing service departments maybe another dealer has the answers ..

Larry
2015 k900 V6 Premium Edition Metallic Silver

Last edited by funnyman7915; 06-09-2016 at 04:35 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

"When I have to change the temperature in the rear, I will have to reach to
same temp. I found it difficult. Maybe I do not know how to do it properly."

If you are in the front seat and no one is in the rear, why are you doing this? Just "sync" the temps and enjoy the climate inside.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-17-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
"When I have to change the temperature in the rear, I will have to reach to
same temp. I found it difficult. Maybe I do not know how to do it properly."

If you are in the front seat and no one is in the rear, why are you doing this? Just "sync" the temps and enjoy the climate inside.
This is one of things that KIA missed when making the car "User Friendly" I find the same problem. You will have to reach your arm to rear control panel.

I see more disappointments everywhere... I will just mention few here.

1. Radio
Overall sound is good but when you try to change channels, sometimes using the control knob will let you to change by 0.1 Mhz, but sometimes when you use the round control knob, it turns into your pre-selected channel. I still can't figure out the proper way to handle it.

When you change the channel, then how to adjust volume? You will have to either do it by the same right hand on the main small volume knob, or your left hand has to work on the streering wheel on the top left. Inconvenient.

My XM does that funny trick that you could listen to it while the screen is circling as if they do not get the signal. I change it to FM or other source, it works fine. You turn the car off and on again, sometimes it disappears.. Terrible for the long road travel. Also the antenna is not good. When you are wtuck on the traffic under a bridge (Not a tunnel), Satelite signal cannot be picked up... Not good at all...

2. Suspension
There is no difference whether the car is on sports mode or any other modes. They are the same. With its weight, making turns in higher speed makes the car very unstable.

3. A/C
Overall quality is good but when you have an imcoming call, speed of vent automatically reduced. I think they did this to hear the voice not bothered by the fan noise but when you get off the phone, you will have to readjust the fan unless you put it in the "Auto" mode from the beginning. Annoying.

4. My wife all of sudden told me the car smelled "Fishy" I remember someone mentioned about the car smelling fishy from the trunk. I put air freshner in the trunk. WTH? It is not the new car smell....

5. Back Up Camera
When you put it on reverse, you could see the screen.. You start to back up then about 3-5 seconds into it, the screen goes blank... You stop. Then it goes back to normal. It doesn't happen every single time but it seldom happens. I am sure when I try to duplicate the problem at the dealer, it will NEVER happen there.

6. Screen
You assume that the car is supposed to be luxury but no touch screen? Really?

7. Streaming Music from your phone
Unless you are hooked up with USB cable, you could listen to your music but you will have to choose your music via phone. Even Honda's system can read your music without having to hook it up with USB. Not in par with luxury.

8. Front Display Panel
Since they could not locate a "VIP" model for me with HUD, I settled with Luxury. I could not believe they did not even try to find the VIP model with my color preference.. Well, I took the car anyway... With cheap display with luxury, the information spot is located in the middle and very small. It only displays minimal information considering other brands.. I would like to see at least the speed in the middle. Am I missing something? I tried to find it going through the menu but couldn't.

9. Transmission
When you slow down your car, the transmission downshifts itself as it is supposed to, but I could feel the car jerking... Terrible.

10. 2015 Model still available
Now 2015 V8 Luxury models are offered as $999 down with $499/month for 36 months on their lease program. That is $18,963 + tax before negotiating.
This indicates the car isn't selling. Will it become like another "Amanti"?

I did not choose Lexus LS460L because I thought the car is too bulky and GX's lease rate was too high compared to the price of the car. Lexus would not negotiate the price as they say it just sells in auto mode. That is why I got this K900 on the way back home from a Lexus dealer. I liked the car with a nice design and stuff. However, it is not going well as I expected.

More I drive this car, more non user friendly, annoying things that I find.

Driving is FUN !!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page